Author Topic: Share your Oblivion Experiences here (spoilers perhaps)  (Read 106734 times)

Offline The Dead Herring

• Dragster Diehard
  • Mmmmm grunge...
    • View Profile
Re: Share your Oblivion Experiences here (spoilers perhaps)
« Reply #435 on: June 18, 2006, 07:31:37 am »
My game seems to be acting up most of the time when i talk to people there is no sound coming from them and the text goes so fast that I can't read it.

Try the usuall solutions. Oblivion is an extremely buggy game, if you come across something funny try the following. (I assume you are on a 360 because I know **** about Windows PCs)

1. Reloading the game file.

2. Resetting the console whilst holding the 'a' button to clear the cache. (This has fixed pretty much all problems I have had)

3. Make a new character and see if the problem is still there.

4. Panic (Very rarely fixes the problem)

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 18, 2006, 09:27:10 am »
i think there is a problem when i install the patch and it crashes 5 minutes in. O.o
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline DorianGarrick

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 18, 2006, 12:16:16 pm »
I fail to see why people enjoy this game. It isn't an RPG due to the complete lack of any chance to interact with the world in a way that allows for you to give your character a personality; it is an action-adventure and a poor one at that considering how lackluster and pathetic the combat is. Furthermore, it was shoddily made, which shows up in various forms: such as the RAI's stupidity, the nigh-constant loading, the way rain falls through solid objects, and how every dungeon somehow begins with a door.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 18, 2006, 01:29:35 pm »
I dont have a problem with the loading, maybe your computer is too old. Stupid RAI is better than a town full of statues. Simulating rain spattering on every object in the game would be a little taxing for the average home computer.
In conclusion, its a fun game. Its not perfect, but then again, nothing is.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 18, 2006, 02:34:36 pm »
I fail to see why people enjoy this game. It isn't an RPG due to the complete lack of any chance to interact with the world in a way that allows for you to give your character a personality; it is an action-adventure and a poor one at that considering how lackluster and pathetic the combat is. Furthermore, it was shoddily made, which shows up in various forms: such as the RAI's stupidity, the nigh-constant loading, the way rain falls through solid objects, and how every dungeon somehow begins with a door.

I enjoyed the combat in the game. Sure you only have three options: attack, block or magic, but it makes you think and time your attacks. It's better then just mashing a bunch of buttons for a 143 hit combo, or choosing Omega Super Dragon Punch Attack, then watching an scripted animation. But hey it's not for everyone. Sure it's sold a bunch of copies and a ton of people have put in over 100+ hours into it, but not everyone likes a complete open world where you can choose what to do when to do it, or a game that allows you to completely ignore the main story line altogether and still have plenty to keep you busy.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline DorianGarrick

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 18, 2006, 02:56:51 pm »
Sure it's sold a bunch of copies and a ton of people have put in over 100+ hours into it, but not everyone likes a complete open world where you can choose what to do when to do it, or a game that allows you to completely ignore the main story line altogether and still have plenty to keep you busy.

I could do that in any game, whether it is Baldur's Gate, Fallout, or Planescape: Torment. The problem is that Oblivon lacks the things that made those games a success: a coherent and interesting story that allows for you to build a -real- character, not just some meandering dolt that can only say 'yes or no' in a prosy form.

Offline DorianGarrick

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 18, 2006, 02:59:43 pm »
I dont have a problem with the loading, maybe your computer is too old. Stupid RAI is better than a town full of statues. Simulating rain spattering on every object in the game would be a little taxing for the average home computer.

Yeah, the RAI really adds to the immersion;

Orc: Get out of my way, scum!
Elf: Oh, good day.
Orc: Good day to you.
Elf: Blah blah blah is nice, isn't it?
Orc: Yes, it is.
Elf: Good bye.
Orc: Good bye.

Wow, so interesting.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 19, 2006, 12:19:22 am »
Try paying less attention to what they're actually saying.  The system was never meant for you to follow around an NPC to see what they do.  It's there to make the world seem more alive.  If you walk through  a town you'll see other people walking around - going shopping, talking to others, going to work, sleeping at night, going for a drink, etc.  Then compare it to Morrowind were the NPC's were almost completely static, standing in one spot, saying the same thing constantly,  never moving.. day or night, rain or sand storm.  They'd always be there to call "Scum" as you walk past.

The radiant A.I. really helps immerse you in the games world, and as has been said before.  Oblivion is one of the few RPG's, were you can actually role-play.  The RAI system really helps this.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 19, 2006, 01:36:46 am »

Yeah, the RAI really adds to the immersion;

Orc: Get out of my way, scum!
Elf: Oh, good day.
Orc: Good day to you.
Elf: Blah blah blah is nice, isn't it?
Orc: Yes, it is.
Elf: Good bye.
Orc: Good bye.

Wow, so interesting.

Its still better than:
"Hello outlander"
"Outlander! What do you want!?!"
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

werechicken

« Reply #444 on: June 19, 2006, 05:12:43 am »
the annoying thing about radiant A.I is that when my strength is on 100 everyone always says "look at the muscles on you" I wouldn't mind, but it's always the men who say it! >:(

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 19, 2006, 08:27:59 am »
Maybe there atracted to you. ;)
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 19, 2006, 03:29:56 pm »
homosexual npc's

hmmm . . what will they think of next?

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 19, 2006, 03:37:45 pm »

It isnt constant loading for most people,you probaly dont have a pc built fot it,The combat is state of art,The dungeaons begin with door as of loading,Or that fact that some people put the door there to keep out other nasty creature.You can give you character a personality,you are the perosnality,You sir are a morron.
We all b one big intergalactic family and  if you don't comply...NUKES....

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 19, 2006, 04:28:48 pm »
the annoying thing about radiant A.I is that when my strength is on 100 everyone always says "look at the muscles on you" I wouldn't mind, but it's always the men who say it! >:(

When your strength on 100? You can turn your strength off and on? Is it some spell or enchanted clothing or something?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 19, 2006, 10:04:57 pm »
You cannot understand this because you're a fanboy and as we all know, fanboys are so deluded by the tripe served to them that they cannot differentiate from good and bad.

I could say the exact same thing about you. As you focus one one aspect of a game and refuse take it as a sole game breaking experiance I find it a good game its the glitches that are game breaking the world is immersive I find it great the fact that I'm having so many problems is what is causing me grief. That to me is a legitimate excuse "OMG 0rc$ r h4v1ng c4su4l c0nvers4tion$ w17h th0s3 th3y d0nt l1k3." is the piss weak complaint in my book.