Author Topic: EA using spore tech in other games  (Read 10996 times)

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Re: EA using spore tech in other games
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 02:01:40 pm »
Ah, totally forgot about those. ;D Yeah, displacement maps = awesome. I think I saw displacement maps being used in the Unreal 3 tech demo... did u happen to see it RealmRPGer?

If I remember correctly, (which, of course, I probably don't ;D) the process to make normal maps requires two meshes of the same model. There is a high-res mesh, with way more detail than can be used in-game, and the low res mesh, which is used in-game. Then through computer wizardry, all the details of the high-poly model are placed as a bump map over the low-poly model. I also heard from someone that normal maps use the X, Y, and Z axes, while bump maps only use one axis... but I don't know if it's true. ???
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 02:06:43 pm by Zealousy »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 10:51:23 pm »
One thing I've picked up is the programming revolution Spore will bring along.  Or at least it will bring the methods used by the demoscene to the forefront in a big-name-game.  Procedurally creating animations and so forth is the key behind all of this game.  One piece of the game cannot work without it.  So, will EA use procedural design elements in other game?  Well, I suppose that depends on how big a hit Spore becomes.  From what I gather, it took a LONG time to develop the game, but if they programmed it right, the code should be portable and thus dev times become much lower.  So if Spore sells like tickets to the next Star Wars, you betcha EA will further invest in this technology.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Wulf

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 03:36:23 am »
Ah, totally forgot about those. ;D Yeah, displacement maps = awesome. I think I saw displacement maps being used in the Unreal 3 tech demo... did u happen to see it RealmRPGer?

If I remember correctly, (which, of course, I probably don't ;D) the process to make normal maps requires two meshes of the same model. There is a high-res mesh, with way more detail than can be used in-game, and the low res mesh, which is used in-game. Then through computer wizardry, all the details of the high-poly model are placed as a bump map over the low-poly model. I also heard from someone that normal maps use the X, Y, and Z axes, while bump maps only use one axis... but I don't know if it's true. ???
Then what the hell is a displacement map? From what I saw the U3 demos normals area already doing all of that crap.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 06:28:50 pm »
an example of displacement mapping would be the walls in this image (especially the wall on the right-hand side):
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/DynamicLight.jpg

From what I saw from the video, even though that looks like a bunch of bricks, that wall's probably only 2 polygons (2 triangles, excluding the arches). I don't think normal maps can simulate this level of detail, since the high-res and low-res meshes in normal mapping have to be pretty similar (I believe), and jumping from a 2-poly wall to dozens of bricks is quite a large step. I also dont think that normal maps can cast shadows, since they're just a texture, whereas displacement can cast shadows on itself. Again, I've never used either, so this is all speculative.

Wow, I didn't intend for this to get so off-topic. ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 07:00:00 pm by Zealousy »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2005, 07:38:53 pm »
Yeah, I don't even know what you all are talking about anymore.

Wulf

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2005, 10:24:14 pm »
Normals can do that too. Really. Exactly the same looking. Maybe displacement maps and normal maps are just the same thing with different words?

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2005, 08:31:58 am »
Allow me to explain. No, there is too much. Allow me to sum up.

Displacement mapping incorporates level of detail - IE it gets simpler as you move away from the source. Normal maps, as a rule, generally don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_mapping

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_map

-Craig

Wulf

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 10:59:30 pm »
Allow me to explain. No, there is too much. Allow me to sum up.

Displacement mapping incorporates level of detail - IE it gets simpler as you move away from the source. Normal maps, as a rule, generally don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_mapping

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_map

-Craig
Aha! See, I am so smart! They basically are the same thing at face value.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2005, 11:52:34 pm »
Wow. Why didn't I think of Wikipedia? Now I feel like a dumb-ass. :-X

:P
- Will Shriner

Wulf

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2005, 12:20:41 am »
Because we were having a discussion. If everyone grabbed an encyclopedia everytime they though of something the world be boring, smart but boring.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2005, 07:55:49 am »
Because we were having a discussion. If everyone grabbed an encyclopedia everytime they though of something the world be boring, smart but boring.

Like me!

-Craig

Wulf

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 05:29:29 am »

Like me!

-Craig
Oh, you're talking again are you?