Author Topic: Dislike?  (Read 8079 times)

Offline the_mitch28

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Dislike?
« on: March 19, 2006, 06:39:54 am »
Ok before I start let me just say I can't wait for Spore and I've never looked forward to a game more in my life. But then again so do a lot of people.

So I was wondering does anybody on this site not like Spore and thinks it looks like a horrible game, i mean is this game that great that not many people at all dont like it?

And if you do post on this topic please add why you are looking through this spore forum, thanks.

This excludes Sim City fans who think that this game has put off production of their oh so preciose Sim City 5, but come on guys, you have Sim City 4, we dont have Spore 1 or anything to keep us entertained in the meantime.

lol, this really just occured to me when I realised the only negative feedback i've heard on a forum, was when some guy said "down with spore, up with Sim City 5"

Offline hkdl

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Dislike?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 06:47:10 am »
I've been lurking on this and various other boards for about a month now. The only real negative comment I've heard is the graphics look kind of cartoony and silly. Kind of like SimThemePark which wasn't a good game IMHO.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 06:48:09 am »
I love Spore, and I think there is not too much people on this forum who dislike it. On other forums,  sometimes they hear that it is from the creator of Sims and... they think that it is "some kind of evolution Sims".
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 06:52:46 am »
I've been lurking on this and various other boards for about a month now. The only real negative comment I've heard is the graphics look kind of cartoony and silly. Kind of like SimThemePark which wasn't a good game IMHO.
Yes, unfortunately the official pictures are about Willosaurs, and they has a silly and cartoony culture. Probably there will be some more serious screenshot later, and a more serious gameplay video.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Superminime

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 06:57:25 am »
Well, it might be how you make the game too.  If you want your buildings to look like, as Will reffered it, Dr. Seuss, then do that.  If you want a more industrius Science-Fiction type thing, do that.  That's what I love about the game.

I don't know enough about the game right now to say I dislike anything.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 07:00:55 am »
I don't think anyone on these boards wouldn't like spore...  that's why we're here.  But in fairness, although I've gobbled up Sims, Sims2, Simcity4, Rush Hour, all of these games were flash-in-the-pan excitement for me.  Held me for a week max and then I just dropped off and started other things...  Of all the games I play actually, Maxis has the shortest shelf life.  Odd that, considering they're some of the most innovative and brilliant games I've seen.... just something... little... missing...

But Spore is a whole new breed!  :D

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 07:06:32 am »
As far as it was said by Will the textures are also proceduraly (pardon me if I wrote it wrong) created and therefore you can achieve very high definition looking textures as well, anyone who has watched the video knows that the other city that attacks Will's willossaurs has a much more high tech looking and less of a cartoon looking like his city, if you cna have any kind of texture and any kind of shape available to you there is no limits, people are just making assumptions based on the demonstration but that doesn't mean the game is gonna be all cartoonish, just that Will decided to use a cartoonish look for the demonstration.
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 07:07:02 am »
You come here to the biggest Spore forum in the known world, where people have been going crazy over the game for over a year now, and ask if there's someone around who doesn't like the game?

Someone rez me, I think I died laughing. ;D
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 07:11:05 am »
good point dragon.  However I think one of the things that makes it cartoonish is something that's not in our control, and that's the scaling illusions.  When we zoom out, our homebase (or our city) and the landmasses themselves, increase very disproportionately to the overall world.  This is a design choice, probably made partly out of style and partly so that it's easy to find your small town on a vast planet (and probably because the greatest computer in the world couldn't hold all the info for a single landmass let alone a planet).

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 07:26:19 am »
Yes, unfortunately the official pictures are about Willosaurs, and they has a silly and cartoony culture. Probably there will be some more serious screenshot later, and a more serious gameplay video.

Hopefully there is a better screenshot. I know I had questions when I saw Suessianesque graphics and claymation buildings.

Offline the_mitch28

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 07:49:32 am »
You come here to the biggest Spore forum in the known world, where people have been going crazy over the game for over a year now, and ask if there's someone around who doesn't like the game?

Someone rez me, I think I died laughing. ;D
I didn't just come here, i've been here for a while since i like this game a lot.

Im not just asking if anyone here doesn't like it, im also asking people here if there is any negative feedback of any sorts, the reason why I am asking is that this game could be one of those games that appeals to lots of people and is flawless in many ways (not all).
But as most developers will tell you, the best feedback is negative feedback (while in development), this is because it helps the developers to improve on the product and also to double check things that might not have occured to them. Even if you thought feedback like "OMG this game looks soooooo good I cant wait" might be helpfull, its not but developers still like to hear it, it means there on the right track.

But the reason I was asking this is because while it's very easy to criticise a game like a FPS when they compare it to other FPS's like Halo, HL2 or F.E.A.R, but what do you compare this game to? To review spore would be like reveiwing the first FPS ever or the first RPG ever.

I really wan't to know the negatives that the press will give this game. I suppose you could just say,
'You could buy Spore or you can go out and buy:'
-Pacman
-Sim City 4
-Command and Counqure: Generals
-Civ IV
-Homeword 2
-Black & White 2
-UFO: Aftermath
-The Sims 2
-Earth: 2160
'And variose other games, install them all on your computer and somehow play them at once and you've got Spore'
lol, it's really hard to think of somthing negative to say about Spore unless you plan on rambaling on about the Graphics which could be a lot different in a few mounths time.

And then there is the whole thing about Sim City 5 and how Spore is stopping it from being made. But really there are like 4 of them to play so that can keep all those people entertained, either that or Maybe WW will pull a Petre Molenyeux where he made Black & White 2 and then pulled The Movies from no where. Although i'd say it will be a while before the next Sim City at least a bit after Spore.

THINK ABOUT IT!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 07:54:56 am by the_mitch28 »

Offline Henqix

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 08:01:35 am »
And then there is the whole thing about Sim City 5 and how Spore is stopping it from being made.

people that say that should think again. I mean Sim city 5 can only benefit from spore, having procedurally generated content in SC5 would make it so much better.

Offline Greg16

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 12:45:30 am »
I think this game is going to be very good. I do think the graphics are a bit cartooney, but it's very obvious this game isn't for a 6-year-old little girl who plays "Barbie's Funhouse" or something like that. The explosions and such were extremely spectacular and violent, I would say this game is a classic version of 'don't-judge a book by it's cover' IMPO.
Will Wright, the original.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 01:02:35 am »
i've been in the sim city 4 forum for almost a year and then i am now in this forum since december, and i love this game now, i havent been to the Sim City 4 (simtropolis) forum for so long now..
Under construction

Offline kongo

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 01:40:47 am »
The problem is IMHO that Spore has been over hyped for over a year now, so I think it's possible that many gamers will be dissapointed when the game gets released and they realized it's not as good as they first thought.