Author Topic: Dislike?  (Read 8206 times)

Offline raikitsune

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Ogbogistahni
    • View Profile
Re: Dislike?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 02:18:42 am »
The problem is IMHO that Spore has been over hyped for over a year now, so I think it's possible that many gamers will be dissapointed when the game gets released and they realized it's not as good as they first thought.

:o over hyped! nah its been underhyped and its just with the lack of information fans have started thinking what they'd likle to see in the game and then we've got a little carried away.

Offline Bonobo

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 02:50:55 am »
Spore, as described so far, sounds shallow and childish. I worry that none of the stages will have any more depth or potential for truly unique experiences than The Sims, which I hate. I truly hope we learn that the game simulates a vastly greater range of ecosystem interactions and social dynamics than those we've seen. Otherwise I probably won't buy it. I don't need a dumbed-down Diablo.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 03:09:58 am »
Even if the game were to be released like it was when Will showed it in action I would still buy it, I'm a great fan of Maxis' games (I actually own all of the Sim games, that includes SimAnt, SimEarth, etc as well as The Sims, Sims 2 + expansions and all Sim Cities) and I think that the game is gonna be much better than it was when Will showed it besides people won't get disapointed about what's missing in Spore since we all know how Maxis goes about expansions ;)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 03:56:15 am »
Spore, as described so far, sounds shallow and childish. I worry that none of the stages will have any more depth or potential for truly unique experiences than The Sims, which I hate. I truly hope we learn that the game simulates a vastly greater range of ecosystem interactions and social dynamics than those we've seen. Otherwise I probably won't buy it. I don't need a dumbed-down Diablo.

It is a game. ::) You want a life/galaxy simulator, go build your own. If creative control over creatures and objects is not unique enough, I don't think you'll ever be satisfied.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 05:17:26 am »
The problem is IMHO that Spore has been over hyped for over a year now, so I think it's possible that many gamers will be dissapointed when the game gets released and they realized it's not as good as they first thought.

By fans my friend, by fans.  You can count on your fingers and toes the number of screenshots that have been released in a year.  In fact, if you take out the screens capped from the one video that is circulating showing Spore in action, then you could count on one hand the screens that have been released, then use the other to count the concept releases and you're done.

Offline Connor(sporefreak)

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 08:48:52 am »
>:( >:(Now this is a perfect example of y someone wouldn't like it. There will be some who say "I hate the Maxis games, so i dont think this will be any good either. Bony in particular is one of the people who doesn't actually "get it". I mean, "I worry that none of the stages will have any more depth or potential for truly unique experiences than The Sims,"HA! I wonder what you do call a "unique experience" that wouldn't include watching a species of warriors that YOU created and love conquering an entire planet in only a few minutes using things like volcano guns, vehicles and weapons that YOU also created, and laughing the entire time because it was a species that a close friend created and was recently bragging about how great they are!!!!! Sorry about the run-on sentence, but COME ON! think before you say something.

Sorry if I offended anyone with that. I just got a little excited. What we really need to prevent this kind of thing is "Sporevangelists. ;)"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 09:16:20 am by Connor(sporefreak) »

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 09:06:17 am »
*steps ins* okay, calm down. Everyone has an opinion and it doesn't mean your going to like it. Please don't resort to personal attacks, all discussions can be civil.

Offline Bonobo

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 02:04:30 pm »
HA! I wonder what you do call a "unique experience" that wouldn't include watching a species of warriors that YOU created and love conquering an entire planet in only a few minutes using things like volcano guns, vehicles and weapons that YOU also created, and laughing the entire time because it was a species that a close friend created and was recently bragging about how great they are!!!!!

!!!!!

I meant unique within the game. We can design our own creatures, but can we do anything with them besides eat things and run away from other things? We can design our own vehicles, but will that affect anything other than appearance, speed, and firepower? I hope so. I hope that the game's simulation includes enough detail to actually distinguish one game from another and provide unique experiences in each game. Because if not, the fact that YOU created your creature with an arm growing out of his head (UNIQUE!!!!!) wouldn't change the fact that you spent the game doing the same few simple things as everyone else.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 07:58:01 pm »
I think that the fears of "shallowness" aren't unfounded.  But the key difference between this game and the sims is that this game isn't simply about "watching"

In the Sims, my favorite parts were making the sims, building the house, downloading massive amounts of items.  Using those items?  using my sims?  using my house?  I was bored in minutes...  But the problem is, once you make your sims, they're made.  Once you build your house it's done (except for modifications on occasion).  You're stuck watching (yes, controlling, but I couldn't get into the mode) and waiting for the next opportunity to upgrade your house, buy new clothes/items, etc.

With Spore, you have the same kind of customization/build choices.  But in between you're not watching, it's an action game.  Action nulls the time while you're waiting for the next opportunity to upgrade.  If in the sims, I brought my sims out to kill my neighbors or had them solve puzzles and such (where I solve the puzzle, not watch them do it) then it would have been much more tolerable for me.

So, I think that people worrying that the game will be simple, shallow, cartoony, etc, is fine.  What we have to do is not envision what we most want in a game, but instead think about what we know this game will include already and think of what we want out of that.  Think of what we want to do with the game we know we have already.  Making mining outposts on planets for resource acquisition and a system wide trade route, raiding fleets to other systems and planets of slave breeding, etc, is all good speculation.  But speculation gets us built up to high.  Just think of what we know already, and if you really think about it, what we know is pretty damn cool.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2006, 10:33:25 pm »
He he, can't see why you got so angry at Bonobo... the point of the thread was to see who didn't like it!  :)
As somewhat of an artist, I think Spore is the perfect game for me. I've played a lot of games, and I always ended up wanting to mod them. Some I knew how to, like RA2 and SC3k  but others, like the Sims and Battlefield, are too hard for someone who doesn't have 3D and coding skillz. I hope Spore's gameplay is good, but the artist-in-a-box is basically what I want the very most.

Offline Bonobo

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2006, 11:54:47 pm »
I think that the fears of "shallowness" aren't unfounded.

Hey buddy, if you don't love Spore then WHY DON'T YOU MOVE TO RUSSIA?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 12:00:13 am by Bonobo »

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 12:44:30 am »

In Soviet Russia, Spore loves YOU.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 12:52:02 am »
The game looks pretty great to me, but I can really understand why a lot of people don't like this type of thing.  I mean, if you don't like playing the Sim City/Sims kind of game, then obviously you're not going to like it.  I don't think you should try and force your opinion of it being the end all of games down everyones throat.

I'm trying to not get too excited for the game really, I expecting it to be dissapointing.  A lot of it reminds me of Fable, start as a small child, slowly grow older, loads of customising, infinite replayability..  etc.  Then when it finally came out, the aging went very fast, customising was some what limited, and you would easily get bored after a few hours of play.  I could see Spore being exactly the same way.  I certainly hope not, the game does look really good, but I don't want to hype myself up for a game that turns out to be crushingly dissapointing.  I mean, Fable was a pretty good game when it finally came out, but when you think back to what it was supposed to be...

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 04:01:22 am »
You know I really agree one concern is that Spore might have too little depth. Then again, it might end up with too much depth. You know the biggest concern is I really don't know how well it'll play.

Once it's out, I'll be here to either hate it or love it. Right now, I'm just hyped about it.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 05:12:24 am »

was that a poorly executed joke or did you forget how to read after the first sentence?