Author Topic: Random Creature Generator  (Read 5698 times)

Offline DarkDragon

• Altered Beast
    • View Profile
Random Creature Generator
« on: March 19, 2006, 08:00:52 am »
OK, I found out about Spore yesterday and became in love with the game :)
I was reading about it and apparently the game will have thousands of pre defined creatures and you can update more created by other players, that's all cool but after playing a certain amount of times you will eventually encounter creatures you've seen before.
Since Spore has these scripts that can figure out the movement of creatures wouldn't it be cool to have a random creature generator to populate your universe in Single-Player mode? The game should easily be able to generate a random set of arms, etc as well as randomly placing them (all of this with a certain amount of limits so that we don't get planet-sized tripods ^^) so that there's always new creatures to find everytime you play avoiding seeing more of the same, the game should also generate them in a way so that you are not at the bottom of the food chain but somewhere in the middle depending on maybe something like "Difficulty Level" :)

What do you guys think? seems like a good idea to me.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 08:55:45 am by DarkDragon »

DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
Re: Random Creature Generator
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 08:14:56 am »
yes it should be possible to have a random creature generator, after all will did say the sliders for everything could easily be manipulated by the computer
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 08:27:00 am »
What's the point? When the number of creatures in the database approaches a sufficiently high number -- which is already a given for Spore --, there's no difference to a random generator.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline DarkDragon

• Altered Beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:30:49 am »
Think of people with no access to the internet (I know it's rare but they exist) and which cannot buy the CD with millions of creatures to add, the random creature generator is not necessarily something we need but I bet it could easily be done in addition to the other features.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 08:37:40 am »
Think of people with no access to the internet (I know it's rare but they exist) and which cannot buy the CD with millions of creatures to add, the random creature generator is not necessarily something we need but I bet it could easily be done in addition to the other features.

There will be no extra creature CD. Well, at least not initially. ::) The offline creature database will be included on the installation CD(s).

Offline DarkDragon

• Altered Beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 08:47:09 am »
I didn't mean that, what I meant was that while watching Will Wright's presentation on Spore he said people with no internet would be able to buy a database of creatures later so that they could update and have more variety. But my point is not that, just that a random creature generator would be a good addition to the game but maybe the game should be able to distinguish between the randomly created and the player created creatures so that it doesn't send the random ones to the database (which would rapidly fill the database with non player created creatures :X)

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Rutilant

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 08:48:52 am »
Uh, er.. Sphere? *twitch*

It's.. called Spore.

There's no single-player "mode", it's entirely single player. It automatically downloads the content off a server and into your game.

I blame this all on the snipped version of the GDC presentation on google video.

Offline DesEagle

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 08:51:52 am »
OK, I found out about Sphere yesterday and became in love with the game :)
I was reading about it and apparently the game will have thousands of pre defined creatures and you can update more created by other players, that's all cool but after playing a certain amount of times you will eventually encounter creatures you've seen before.
Since Spore has these scripts that can figure out the movement of creatures wouldn't it be cool to have a random creature generator to populate your universe in Single-Player mode? The game should easily be able to generate a random set of arms, etc as well as randomly placing them (all of this with a certain amount of limits so that we don't get planet-sized tripods ^^) so that there's always new creatures to find everytime you play avoiding seeing more of the same, the game should also generate them in a way so that you are not at the bottom of the food chain but somewhere in the middle depending on maybe something like "Difficulty Level" :)

What do you guys think? seems like a good idea to me.

Sphere? SPHERE!? ??? ??? ???

You have angered the Hulk.

...but who doesn't have internet?

Offline DarkDragon

• Altered Beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 08:58:35 am »
Sorry for the typo, I'm used to make games ina game engine called Sphere and I messed it up xD I know the game is Spore :X
As for the internet thingy, maybe if you think about certain people in Brazil and other developing countries... they might have access to the game but not internet (I'm not saying that all people in Brazil for example don't have internet but some don't and although they might be able to buy the game they won't be able to update it) the random creature generator could be left as an option selected when the player starts a new game.

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline Detoxicated

• Tapper Barfly
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 09:03:19 am »
that randomize button would be cool, also i would like something like a creature contest, like whenever you encounter a creature u give it 1-10 points, and the best ones get to go on the disc.
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Lonemessiah

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 09:08:03 am »
It is an interesting idea, and if it is easy to implement i can't see why not, but remember that the creatures will only take up 1k of space each, and so if 100MB is put aside for creatures on the install disk then that is 100 000 creatures, which will probably be more than enough for most players.
As usual this is just my opinion which has about as much factual content as the average episode of Red Dwarf.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 09:21:34 am »
I would think a randomizer would be a pretty simple thing to do...  but to have a randomizer that makes fuctional animals... who knows...

Perhaps the randomizer could be a simple mixing and matching of predefined parts (since, apparently, we have such a deep control over all visual aspects of the creature's design)

Offline DarkDragon

• Altered Beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 09:58:06 am »
That's what I meant by certain set of rules so that we don't get a really weird creature that can't move. But apparently the engine is made so that it figures out how each creature works so any creature created with the editor should be able to function and therefore anything randomly created should in theory be able to work too :D

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 10:03:20 am »
well.. what I meant by "functional" was that if you have a mouse sized herbivore you wouldn't suddenly discover that your world was filled with elephant sized carnivores salivating venom.  or vice versa.

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 10:04:50 am »
Now, see: random works well for stacking together functional parts. It works less well for free shaping of stuff. Without a doubt the computer could handle sticking parts on the body, but I remain skeptical whether the actual sculpting of the body could be done by a random generator.