Author Topic: matrix  (Read 7724 times)

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
Re: matrix
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 07:09:49 am »
Damn Matrix fanboys. Why does everyone rip on the 2nd and 3rd movies?
I enjoyed them! alot!! I thought they were entertaining and intense.

oh, and I ****en love the Animatrix, that DVD kicks some serious ass!!

True story on the Animatrix! Love the Samurai simulator and the history episodes. Oh, and I'm not a Matrix fanboy, I only saw The Matrix the day before i saw Reloaded. I had no time to become a fanboy. Even from something as simple as cinemtography or even lighting, The Matrix looks and feels nothing like the sequals. I think they should've ended the story with the first one, at least from a movie standpoint. The story would make a much better anime or graphic novel then movies. I happen to like both sequal movies, but as if they were standing seperate from the first movie. They feel the same, but nothing like the original.

Anyway, I do like most everything the Watchowsky Brothers have done so far (especially V for Vendetta!), but I think they should've moved the Matrix story into a medium where they wouldn't have had to deal with soem random moments of crap CGI.

Oh, and I think the dialouge in the third movie could've been written much better, except for Morpheous' speech in the great hall...I loved that.

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 07:41:06 am »
The Animatrix was ok, until the Second Renaissance. There were so many plot holes in those two that it hurt.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 07:48:05 am »
The Animatrix was ok, until the Second Renaissance. There were so many plot holes in those two that it hurt.

For example?

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 08:35:18 am »
Why didn't the robots die from the EMP blast from the atombombs the humans dropped on their city? The announcer said the reason the atombombs weren't very efficient were because the heat and radiating that causes humans so much trouble, weren't that effective on the robots, but they didn't say any thing about the EMP blast that come from the bomb.

Why did the humans even let the bots make their own city in the first place? They made such a big deal about killing them all and destroying them, and yet the humans let the robots grow their city into a economical and industrial power house. Why?

Edited for spelling and other mistakes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 08:44:11 am by Cool AN »

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 08:47:05 am »
Good point. I never really thought about that.

I just hope people won't create real AI...the whole AI becoming sentient and becoming a lifeform is too real of a possibility. I think we should stick with un-sentient computers and leave it that way. Creating slaves is a bad move, we just shouldn't go there. If or when we do

Okay, so I watch too much Star Trek and read too much Asimov.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 08:53:13 am »
That is another thing, why did the humans create fully sentient life to do slave job when time and time again that has only show to cause uprising and revolt. And on the subject of Asimov, where were the three rules of robotics? Creating a fully sentient species of robots and then not include some protection in them is pure madness. It would be like a slave dealer from the 1700 century giving his entire slave crew weapons and then disarming his own men.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 09:02:10 am »
Of course, but still. It would be nice if it made sense at the same time.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 01:40:50 pm »
Does anyone think that the movie iRobot was a rip off from the 1st & 2nd Renaissance?

It just seemed to similar for me, although it is a pretty overused storyline in alot of sci-fi movies, with the robots turning on humanity and all.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 01:51:48 pm »
I,Robot was inspired by the Robot books from Isaac Asimov (one of the best Sci Fi writers ever). The robots in I,Robot were trying to protect humans from themselves, because of a logic "flaw" in the three laws of robotics. However the robots did so in a pretty fascist way.

While in Matrix the robots were just trying to kil or enslave the humans, because the humans tried to kill them. The concept of a robot committing a crime and having feelings is in both and in both it sets of a chain of events (though in I,Robot it was gonna happen anyway), but the Matrix has ripped of a hole lot of sci fi stories. So the Matrix did it first, of the two, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they invented it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 01:55:09 pm by Cool AN »

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 07:29:30 am »
This is about the best AMV I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj21W6nlAKo
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 08:11:43 am »
I,Robot was inspired by the Robot books from Isaac Asimov (one of the best Sci Fi writers ever). The robots in I,Robot were trying to protect humans from themselves, because of a logic "flaw" in the three laws of robotics. However the robots did so in a pretty fascist way.

The film "I, Robot" is more about the "0th law" - which technically speaking cannot exist unless deliberately built into the robots in question (though I believe Asimov wrote that the robots developed it themselves through self-modification in combination with telepathic abilities). The film's events are a bit of a sham, really - VIKI would be totally incapable of disregarding the 1st law even if she could see the logic of the 0th, because of the fundamental manner of the laws' integration into all robots.

Offline Leng

• !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 06:43:53 pm »
Actually I think Azimov intended that the 0th law be an emergent property of the 1st law.  Any sufficiently intelligent robot would naturally extend the principle from individual humans to humanity as a whole.
I have been told

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 02:35:52 am »
Actually I think Azimov intended that the 0th law be an emergent property of the 1st law.  Any sufficiently intelligent robot would naturally extend the principle from individual humans to humanity as a whole.

"In the final scenes of the novel Robots and Empire, R. Giskard Reventlov is the first robot to act according to the Zeroth Law, although it proves destructive to his positronic brain, as he is not certain as to whether his choice will turn out to be for the ultimate good of humanity or not. Giskard is telepathic, like the robot Herbie in the short story "Liar!", and he comes to his understanding of the Zeroth Law through his understanding of a more subtle concept of "harm" than most robots can grasp. However, unlike Herbie, Giskard grasps the philosophical concept of the Zeroth Law, allowing him to harm individual human beings if he can do so in service to the abstract concept of humanity. The Zeroth Law is never programmed into Giskard's brain, but instead is a rule he attempts to rationalize through pure metacognition; though he fails, he gives his successor, R. Daneel Olivaw, his telepathic abilities. Over the course of many thousand years, Daneel adapts himself to be able to fully obey the Zeroth Law."

Most robots would not be capable of determining the zeroth law, even in terms of probabilities. An effect on humanity as a whole is a nebulous concept, sufficiently so that no person or robot would really ever be able to determine it themselves and be totally sure that this outweighed the first law. Besides which, it is doubtful that any normal robot that was not telepathic would be able to grasp the concept of different types of harm. Let's also not forget that any robot would be rendered completely inoperable before it could come near to deliberately breaking the first law in any way and only through self-modification would this be possible. I doubt VIKI was nearly intelligent enough for the necessary metacognition, she was certainly not telepathic, and should not have been capable of self-modification to the point where she could engineer out the first law entirely.

Offline Leng

• !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2006, 02:42:47 am »
Okay, this is going off topic.

...Who else thinks the black storm is actually working as a giant photovoltaic panel for the robots?
I have been told

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2006, 05:24:11 am »
That would be right you start talking about some zeroth law so i go wikipedia it to find out what it is about 15 minutes later after reading the article getting side tracked and ultimately reading an article about the simpsons I find a bit down the page someone has linked to the 3rd law anyway.

To the origional topic I liked the 2nd movie I thought it was cool. the 3rd one however sucked.