Author Topic: Oifan-Umtag  (Read 29744 times)

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Oifan-Umtag
« on: March 18, 2006, 10:17:27 pm »
What is this? A mod making a creature thread?

Anyway, here is an Oifan (OY-fahn):

The Oifan's locomotion is similar to that of kangaroo. Their main head consists of two large forward facing eyes and two internal ears. This is also where their main brain is. Their two mouths branch off at the base of the main neck, creating two more necks, on for each mouth. Each of the secondary heads also houses a secondary brain and is where their nostrils are. Their two arms end in highly dexterous ape-like hands and that they knuckle-walk on when walking. Their thick tail is about the same length as the rest of the body. They are about 6 feet (2 meters) long from mouth to tail.

And here is an Umtag (OOM-tahg):

The Umtag have the same basic form except that they also grow a horn once they grow of reproducing age. Their secondary brains are also much smaller. They run and walk on all fours, and cannot use their front limbs to grasp anything. Instead, they use their two mouths. They stand about 4 feet (1.25 meters) tall at the shoulder.

How they relate:

The Oifan and Umtag are two genders of the same species. They have evolved to look very different from eachother. Once a year the Umtag seek out the Oifan. They each have a growth that forms below the eyes on the main head. That is what they call a "seed." The Oifan will dig a hole about a foot (.33 meters) across and deep. They each remove their seed (it comes off painlessly and leaves no scar) and place them in the hole (the Umtag's resting on top) and bury them. The two seeds then combine to form a new seed. This new seed grows into what looks like a plant. They call this plant the Egg Tree. The Oifan take care of this plant for a full year as it grow to form a single egg. Picture here:

By the end of the year an egg about 1 foot in diameter will have grown. The Umtag now come back and wait for the eggs to hatch. If the infant is an Oifan, it stays there to grow up with the Oifan. If it's an Umtag, it goes back with them. Pictures of an infant Oifan and Umtag:

The Oifan and Umtag are mostly monogamous.

They live on their planet, Hagunda (ha-goon-DAH), which in their language means "Incubator." Political map:

Biome map:

A time line map of the political history of Hagunda:

I have more, but I feel like taking a break, so feel free to ask questions.

Note: To enlarge all pictures (except maps) simply click on the picture.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 09:45:56 am by Oviraptor »

Offline smjjames

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: Oifan-Umtag
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 10:23:40 pm »
WOW, man you REALLY thought this through and thats a very unique sexual dimorphism and thats a neat way to combine planetlike characteristics with when they mate and produce seed/eggs.

Also, the scrolling map thing is kind of slowing things down when I scroll the post past it, just saying.

what about the diets? does the 'male' creature have a different diet from the 'female' creature? and this difference is also sorta like some plants where the male and female plants are pretty different.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 10:25:32 pm by smjjames »

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 10:25:55 pm »
WOW, man you REALLY thought this through and thats a very unique sexual dimorphism and thats a neat way to combine planetlike characteristics with when they mate and produce seed/eggs.

Also, the scrolling map thing is kind of slowing things down when I scroll the post past it, just saying.

Glad you like it! There is more to come.

I guess I will change it to link only for that one.

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 10:27:46 pm »
That eggs looks completely wierd... like some bio-world in a scifi movie.

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 10:33:29 pm »
what about the diets? does the 'male' creature have a different diet from the 'female' creature? and this difference is also sorta like some plants where the male and female plants are pretty different.

Well, they are both herbivores. The Egg Trees themselves are not truly plants, though they do photosynthesize. The Egg Trees actually have hearts, and blood flows through them. There is no discernible difference between them, so you have to wait until they hatch to know their gender.

And just to clarify, neither of them are male or female. If you were to ask them which they were, they wouldn't be able to tell you.

Offline Cousarr

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • URF Online
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 10:35:24 pm »
The reproduction method reminds me heavilly of the Pequinos (sp?) from the Speaker for the Dead series by Card.

Offline LadyM

• Doom Space Marine
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 10:35:58 pm »
Those are really cool. I like the whole egg tree idea. Very original. The babies are cute and its nice to see the eyes from the front. :)
Rules-LadyMpire-YouTube-Twitter
Starbound and Minecraft server: ask me

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 10:37:27 pm »
The reproduction method reminds me heavilly of the Pequinos (sp?) from the Speaker for the Dead series by Card.

As i started creating them, I realized how similar they were. It was really a coincidence.

Edit: Oh, and I guess I should have mentioned this earlier, but they are sentient.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 10:41:27 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 11:02:40 pm »
Wow! It must be getting really contagious if a moderator is making one :P

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 11:04:40 pm »
Wow! It must be getting really contagious if a moderator is making one :P

Well, I've made creatures before, but I decided to go all out on this one, because I like them so much more.

Edit: Pictures are no longer distorted.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 12:09:27 am by Oviraptor »

Offline huggkruka

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 06:01:46 am »
Very cool! Your concepts are imaginative to say the least. The pictures are good, I really like the infant Oifan  :)
The pixel style of the maps work surprisingly good, and it makes it damn easy for you to play around with them too. Good work! I would love to see a coloured pic of an Oifan or Umtag.

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 10:57:14 am »
I would love to see a coloured pic of an Oifan or Umtag.

Thanks! Coloring drawings I have made in pencil is my downfall, I am no good at that.

Okay... more info:

The Oifan and Umtag each develop a language which is unique to their gender. For when they meet to reproduce, they use a third common language that is far more archaic. Because of their dual mouths, their languages are very complex. In fact, their language is so complex that every word I give you in their language is really just the closest approximation that can be expressed using human characters. Because of this, most other species are incapable of understand the Oifan-Umtag in their native languages, and even less vocalize it. They are very adept at learning others' languages (since for them most others' languages are insanely easy) and some can even converse in two languages at once, using each mouth independently.

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 12:22:02 pm »
Oooh. Does that mean they sound like the Orz when their language is translated by a computer?

With words in *stars* to show the closest approximation in our language.

Orz are from *below* Arilou are always *jumping in front* they are *silly cows*. Orz like *campers*.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 12:28:54 pm »
Oooh. Does that mean they sound like the Orz when their language is translated by a computer?

With words in *stars* to show the closest approximation in our language.

Orz are from *below* Arilou are always *jumping in front* they are *silly cows*. Orz like *campers*.

I don't know what you mean by that. What I mean is that a human can vocalize 30 something  different sounds (which put together form words). The Oifan-Umtag can pronounce roughly the same amount, but they can do it in both mouths, so that means they can produce over 500 different sounds. Which means they're alphabet is insane (you can see why I don't want to create it).

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 12:29:57 pm »
You are a *twisty* *fellow*. Orz am very best for sure! ;D

It has been a long-standing plan of mine to do SCII races in Spore.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.