Author Topic: A Compalation of answers we have recieved from will wright ( Via Email) Updated!  (Read 24813 times)

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
ummmm one of the posts i dont no how to put on links so unless u tell me ur screwed.....

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
just copy and paste the url.
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=3041.0

Help me out, post any emails you see on here!!!

Offline carcajou

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
What is a monolith, ive seen that term used quite frequently, but im kind of unclear on what it means.

In 2001 Space Odyssey, it is the big black shinny thing, but generally speaking, the term monolith comes from mono (one) and lithos (stone). It is a term frequently used in archaeology when talking about unique big chunks of rocks that have been sculpted. For example, a menhir from Britanny is a monolith, an obelisk from Egypt is a monolith, the Olmec heads in Mexico are monoliths, so are the Easter Island mohai.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cyrus on Yesterday at 11:26:32 PM
No, this is a brand new issue (April 2006) with Will Wright on the cover, he's the guest editor for this issue, which focuses on the future of games.  The headline is "Will Wright's New World of Games".

THERE IS A TWO-PAGE SNEAK PEEK OF SPORE THAT CONTAINS NEW INFORMATION AND SCREENSHOTS.

Actually, there's really only one new pic, on page 111, that shows another planet, similar to the one from the GDC 05 demo, but it looks like a different world.  The rest are the same ol' pics.  Here's the full text of the "article":

"Spore!  The creator of The Sims takes evolution to the next level.  Want to be the intelligent designer?  Will Wright's next game, Spore, takes you on an epic journey from the origin of life through the development of technology - and eventually into outer space.  Construction tools (the black-and-white boxes shown here) let you create every aspect of the Spore universe.  Start by choosing how your creatures evolve.  Next, decide how they develop a civilization.  Then plot how they take over the universe.  EA will release Spore next year."

Here's the sad news: the article clearly states that Spore will be released "next year".  The fact that Will Wright was the editor leads me to believe that this is acurate information.  Actually, I had heard from my connections that the Fall 06 date had been thrown away quite a while ago.  OK, so that sucks.  Who knows, maybe it's still less than a year away, in early 2007... But hey, there's new information!  Most of it is graphical, and is a chart that kinda shows the progression of the game, and shows iconic editors for each stage:

CELL:  Cellular creature editor, also indicates different kind of cellular creatures
CREATURE: Creature editor w/ various parts categories and subcategories and texture editor, plant editor w/ categories and subcategories
TRIBE: Tool editor, weapons/armor editor (maybe this is a clothing editor too), indicates various types of huts
CITY: Building editor, city defense editor (turrets for your walls)
CIVILIZATION: Vehicle editor w/ texture editor, indicates various types of vehicles (land/water/air/space)
PLANET: Indicates terraforming tools
SOLAR SYSTEM: Not really sure what it means, but it seems to indicate that other creatures and civilizations on other planets (I thought this was in the galaxy phase, and terraforming was more for Solar System stage...)
GALAXY: Shows all kinds of icons, indicates different kinds of planets.

This indicates/confirms plant and armor/clothing editors.  I think the big news is the "next year" bit.  I guess we'll have to see what's announced on Thursday 3/23.
  k it is a wired article, brand new one, page 111
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:20:31 pm by catnip18 »

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Wow, thanks for posting that article catnip. I wish i could see the new screenshots.

And do you know what magazine that is from?

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
I'd like to say the "March 2007" date is just my personal educated guess.  Not a fact, and I don't feel is really suitable for a thread about confirmed things Will Wright has said.  I was just pointing out that a sneak peek put together by two Spore artists and edited in some aspect by Will Wright himself says "next year".  This was published this week, which leads me to believe they mean 2007, unless they mean next fiscal year, which goes from April 1 2006 - March 2007 (but since technically this is the April issue, that would mean this article came out in the next fiscal year, so....yeah, take that for what you will).

Until we hear anything official from EA (probably at E3), please remember it's all just guesswork.
Looks like even I was being optimistic with a March 07 release date...

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Wow, thanks for posting that article catnip. I wish i could see the new screenshots.

And do you know what magazine that is from?

It was me who posted it:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=432.msg86572#msg86572

It's from the April 2006 issue of Wired, just got put on stands.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
o lol sorry for posting that, you said it was in a wired article and that there was new stff, thought it might be helpful

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Oh, well then thank you cyrus.

Do you think you could get the new screen shots on here?

Lol, catnip, its fine, but its still new news, so i like reading it, i just cant put it in the compalation cuz its not an email.

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
o lol sorry for posting that, you said it was in a wired article and that there was new stff, thought it might be helpful

Oh no prob dude, but remember that I am certainly no official on this :)  I could be wrong about March 07.  Apparently just today the head of EA Mobile claimed Spore was coming to mobiles this year, for example.   There probably won't be an official word on it until E3, though. 

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Yeah i would say almost everything you hear (unless directly from will wright) is speculation.

and i would say that any said release date is speculation until it actually comes out lol.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:33:58 pm by Forever_Cold »

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
i agree with that last part....... one time i waited 4 months for a game to come out then it was delayed 20 times.... not kidding.... and now i dont even rember that game ??? :o :-[ :-X :-\

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Forever_Cold - I'm going to try to take photos of the pages and put them online this evening, maybe in like 3 hours or so when I have the time/camera.  No scanner, sorry.  And yeah, sometimes it's best to not believe any release date until it goes gold :)

catnip18 - Waiting 4 months for a game is nothing.  When Half-Life 2 was announced at E3 2003, they said September 03, then they delayed it and people started speculating Holidays 03, then Spring 04, then Summer 04, then Fall 04, and finally in October 04 they announced it was being released November 14th 2004.  If Spore comes out in 2007, that will be a 2-year wait.

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Lol its a good thing i didnt know anything about half life until about a month ago.

Ignorance is bliss.

oh and thanks for taking pictures, that would be awesome.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
The game was delayed 20 times each time aobut 2-5 months... about 3 years..... hell