Author Topic: A Compalation of answers we have recieved from will wright ( Via Email) Updated!  (Read 24959 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
What is a monolith, ive seen that term used quite frequently, but im kind of unclear on what it means.

well, in short a monolith is a huge towering and mysterious object. most ppl here seem to think of that black monolith from the 2001: Odessy. it seems to be that the term monolith means a huge alien object used to uplift a species.

Offline Duke Rajko

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Monolith basicly means a column built in one piece, like a sing block.

In this sense however, I believe its that big black rectanglar box from 2001: A Space Odyssey, I think thats how you spell it. It sings and passes on information, it taught monkeys to be more intelligent starting them on the path to human-ness. Like this,

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 06:15:40 pm by Duke Rajko »

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Lol ive never seen space oddesy.

But i think i understand what its suppose to be...sorta.
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=3041.0

Help me out, post any emails you see on here!!!

Offline Duke Rajko

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
I highly recommend it, one of the greatest films ever. Especially HAL 9000. There are probably so many jokes you've missed out on by not knowing.

Offline SL

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Re: See answers that Will Wright has given us via email (a compalation)
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006, 07:10:46 pm »
Or you could read the book. And then the sequels. :P

They're all good.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
Q: Will there be population dynamics such as predator/prey population cycles?
A: Yes.

Q: Will there be procedural evolution in addition to drawing from the central databases?
A: Probably not, but we're going to give it a shot to see how far we get.

Q: Will there be any means to remove species from the game, short of genocide?
A: It seems like removing them is the definition of genocide.

The slug is very happy with these two tidbits (the third is there just because I thought it was very funny  :p )

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Too bad to hear that space stations do not appear to be among the options for Spore.. I figured that Dyson spheres would be out of the question, simply because they'd be almost impossible to create, but I thought space stations wouldn't be that hard.. Oh well.. Let's hope that option will be included in a possible expansion pack..  ;D

Offline Sadisticfaction

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
OR, you could watch this flash of our dear Mr. Pickings. :D
http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/history1.htm

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Q: Will there be procedural evolution in addition to drawing from the central databases?
A: Probably not, but we're going to give it a shot to see how far we get.

What does this mean?

Does it mean the game is evolve your creature in addition to you making it?

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
It means that other creatures will evolve in realtime with your creature.  It would be very complicated though, since it would mean that (potentially) every individual creature would have to be accounted for in game memory, as opposed to just the species.

And we can be pretty sure that spacestations will be among the first of expansion packs (well formed opinions from the gastropod)

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
And we can be pretty sure that spacestations will be among the first of expansion packs (well formed opinions from the gastropod)

Pretty sure because we think it should be in it?
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
well... although gastropods are not normally a spacefaring creature, those of us who have been lucky enough to set stomachfoot in space know that... well... it's the in place to be  ;)

But space travel and interplanetary war or commerce without spacestation outposts?  I'm quite sure given their steady presence in most space-based sci-fi that they'll be in an expansion very shortly after release.  And if not, give EA 5 or 6 expansions and they'll have to include it by then.  :D

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
well... although gastropods are not normally a spacefaring creature, those of us who have been lucky enough to set stomachfoot in space know that... well... it's the in place to be  ;)

But space travel and interplanetary war or commerce without spacestation outposts?  I'm quite sure given their steady presence in most space-based sci-fi that they'll be in an expansion very shortly after release.  And if not, give EA 5 or 6 expansions and they'll have to include it by then.  :D

you're assuming a universe where it is difficult to launch off of a planet, so the space station makes that launch easier, there is no trouble with that in spore, so what is the POINT of a space station when there is no exit/reentry difficulty?
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
There is none and btw did u hear that spore might be comming out in march 2007  :o :o :o :o

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Catnip, where did you hear that?