Author Topic: A Compalation of answers we have recieved from will wright ( Via Email) Updated!  (Read 25099 times)

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
THIS IS NOT A QUESTION AND ANSWER THREAD. THIS IS A COMPILATION OF ANSWERS THAT WILL WRIGHT HAS ALREADY GIVEN US.

We need to compile all of the answers (to like email questions) that will has given us, that way, it will be eaisier to confirm an answer to any question that we have.

So start posting your question, and will's answer and i will move them up here for convience.

Q: Will other forms of intelligent life (and therefore alliances/war in space) be ONLY limited to outside your solar system (meaning can you do "everything" before you get the intersteller drive)?
A: YES

Q: Will you be able to build vehicles that aren't for interacting with other cities (as in, can you have vehicles in the city stage).
A: NO

Q: So life in your solar system is simply for colonizing lifeless planets to make money to expand right?
A: Yes.

Q: Is there non-intelligent life in your solar system?
A: There is a probablity of it, yes.

Q: Can you choose the creatures that are downloaded to your computer?
A: In some ways yes.

Q:While discussing your future game on some Internet forum, I had an idea about how to introduce limited multiplayer capabilities to your game. Well, it's not really multiplayer, more like a common sandbox.

The idea is to have the game being able to synchronize with a server, be it a master server hosted by Maxis/EA or a player run one. Latter option would be a plus, to allow private communities.

Since the whole Spore galaxy is very likely also just a procedural product, the server should generate a fix set of parameters, that'll be sent down to the client, should a player create a server-supported game. This implies that every client/game runs the same galaxy. The server also assigns each player a planet or star system he starts out with. Progress in the game session should be synced with the server on regular intervals.

If the player now gets to the interstellar level, the game requests the necessary information when flying around. Means if someone scrolls out, the server sends down the necessary information, not before. For instance on star region level, it sends information down which of the planets/stars in the region are player controlled (and any delta information, should a player have terraformed things), and basic information so the game can i.e. generate the SETI signal chatter like you've shown on the GDC demo. The same should apply when scrolling out to the galactic level, though it'll likely require less information, just enough to hint the player where to zoom in and look for other life. Optionally, there should be a server-side option, if turned on, just clearly marks player controlled planets, on both regional and galactic level, to ease finding people.

Now, if a player zooms into a player system, the server sends down the necessary info to generate the system, just as the other player sees it or formed it. More and more necessary info gets sent the more a player zooms in, like city info on planetary level, creature info when going down to the civ level, and so on.

The game would still run async, the player's client would just start generating planetary activity based on the parameters for visual reasons, it wouldn't affect the player's planet or reflect its real state in any way. A player controlled system would be in sort of a read-only mode to other players except the owner, as such just allowing things like watching it, and abducting species to create a copy of it. Optionally, as a server-side option, people could be allowed to drop their own species on another player's planet. When the owner continues his game, he'll be notified that player so-and-so dropped an alien species on his planet, and the game takes this in consideration.

Also, if a player terraforms a planet and/or drops objects or species of his on it, it'll automatically be marked as player-controlled and will be synchronized between the client and server.

A plus would be a small chat system for all active players.

Those were the ideas I had, to allow players to play on a common ground and watch what everyone else does without needing to actively search and install content. Yet it would likely be easy to implement, since it's all about exchanging and synchronizing information on an as-needed basis, most just difference data based on a master galaxy based on procedural generation.

I'm not sure whether this is feasible to the deadline, or if it requires an expansion to implement all this, or if something like this is already being implemented, but it'd be great if you'd consider any of these ideas.

A: That's close to what we're planning to do in some ways. But if we do exactly that we lose several huge gameplay advantages.

-the ability to customize each players galaxy to how they like to play (conquest, diplomacy, colonization) -the ability to let each player be the "hero" (destroying everything in their path) -the ability to let time flow be relative to the player (how fast does everything develop)

You will be interacting with player designed worlds (though under NPC control). And your region of space will be downloaded on an as needed basis.

Q: Slavery: Yes or no?

A: Sort of, if you capture another races space colony.

Q: Are you going to have bacterial infections and robots in the game?

A: I don't think we are going to deal with things like bacterial infections in Spore. On the other hand I do want robots. The current plan is to unlock robotic creature parts once you reach the UFO stage and then allow the player to create robots in the creature editor which can populate an environment just like creatures.

Q: How Mod-able is spore? and *Their also might be another question he asked, due to the four things he brought up, but idk*

A: How mod-able Spore is will very much depend on the particular content involved. One thing that is crucial however is that every piece of content needs to be representable with a very compact genome. This implies that any enumerated parts (such as creature parts) that resolve into tokens in the genome need to carry a proxy solution if they are to be expandable at a later date.

For specific things you brought up:

Gravity - undetermined at this point, probably not.
Solar system layout - hopefully so (creating a system out of the initial proto-planetary disk)
Shape of Planets - Yes, there will be many geologic tools for this.
Manual creation of creatures - Yes, much more than we have shown so far.

All these functions will be available to the end-user.

Q: *Im kinda unclear of the question here, so just speculate yourself on what it is?*

A: Yes, I have read all of David Brin's books (and even met with him and shown him early versions of Spore).

In fact we are planning to include the ability to uplift lesser species in the game. BTW - This was also the overall story behind 2001: A Space Odyssey (my favorite movie of all time).

Q:  My world, in Spore, only has one creature that I created; every other creature will presumably be created by some other player. What will prevent me from travelling into space, visiting a planet created by another player, and discovering the same species that populated my world? The same buildings? What if that player downloaded my creature as a low level species and there are hundreds of them on this world? It would be kind of a letdown to finally get to travel into space and the first creature you encounter are the same creatures you've already seen on your own planet. This is further complicated by your procedural feedback system; the more popular an object; the more it shows up in peoples buy window; therefore it becomes more popular. If someone creates the absolute best monolith, and everyone uses it because its the best, theres a significantly higher chance that I'm going to travel halfway across the galaxy to discover the same monolith that I myself used.
I assume the database will be large enough to make this occurance a statistical anomaly (if i visited 100 planets and each of them had 1000 objects, that would still only be a fraction of the total database) but it would be nice to have some overlap protection (I will only download items that do not already exist in my galaxy, etc etc).

A: Since we control the injection of creatures into your ecosystem as well as the injection of planets into your local space we can easily prevent the "content collision" problem.

Q: Also, when does the procedural decompression occur? After download, so each creature is stored on my hard drive as a 5 meg file? Will there be a "populating worlds" loading screen everytime i start up? Does it populate only when I'm focused on it? Given the size and price of hard drives today, I can see storing it as a 5 meg file being the cheapest option (slow game, small footprint vs fast game, large footprint. Hard drives are cheap, CPUs are expensive) but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

A: We're currently planning to do most of the reconstituting of downloaded content while the player is in the editors (where we have a surplus of CPU).

Q: How are you going to deal with copywrite issues? Givin the ultimate freedom to create what they want, many players will recreate their favorite universes to play in, much to the chagrin of the people who own that universe. The same goes for mature content as well, I wouldn't want to be that unsuspecting parent just as Johnny lands on planet Cocknballs.

A: As for the copywrite issues, we've had to deal with that already with all the content for The Sims. It basically comes down to giving anyone the ability to flag content they think is inappropriate for any reason.

Q: Will there be population dynamics such as predator/prey population cycles?

Q: Will there be procedural evolution in addition to drawing from the central databases?
A: Probably not, but we're going to give it a shot to see how far we get.

Q: Will there be any sort of gameplay in space along the lines of Space Empires or Master of Orion?
A: Yes, federation, empire and alliance building.

Q: Will there be an option to design space stations, ringworlds, and/or Dysons spheres?
A: No.

Q: Will there be interstellar vehicles other than UFOs?
A: Not sure.

Q: Will every game have the same universe, or will every game have a random distribution of stars?
A: Every player's galaxy is different and tailored to how they're playing.

Q: In the editor, how extensive will the library of primitive shapes be?
A: Depends on the editor, about 200 shapes per editor.

Q: Will it be possible to add third party primitives to the editors library, or would it be too difficult to work in with the central databases?
A: Probably not, they are quite complicated.

Q: If third party primitives arent tenable, will additional primitives be added via patches at Maxis's discretion?
A: Probably.

Q: Will the cellular world have any impact on the macroscopic world?
A: Only in terms of changing your starting point when you enter the macroscopic evolution game.

Q: Will there be any means to remove species from the game, short of genocide?
A: It seems like removing them is the definition of genocide.

Q: Is there likelyhood of Spore being available for the Apple Mac?
A: Hopefully we can talk Aspyer into it

« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 03:52:33 pm by Forever_Cold »

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=3041.0

Help me out, post any emails you see on here!!!

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
Re: Compliling all of the email answers from Will Wright.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 06:12:42 pm »
From - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2614.0

Q: Will other forms of intelligent life (and therefore alliances/war in space) be ONLY limited to outside your solar system (meaning can you do "everything" before you get the intersteller drive)?
A: YES

Q: Will you be able to build vehicles that aren't for interacting with other cities (as in, can you have vehicles in the city stage).
A: NO

Q: So life in your solar system is simply for colonizing lifeless planets to make money to expand right?
A:Yes.

Q: Is there non-intelligent life in your solar system?
A:There is a probablity of it, yes.
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:50:54 pm »
isn't there a thread for this stickied?

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 08:10:39 pm »
I dont think there is, or if there is i didnt see it. The only ones close to it are the questions for the dev thing and the long FAQ thing. But i wanted to make a place where i could see concrete answers and not speculation. This is where you post emails you have recieved from will wright himself.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 08:18:09 pm by Forever_Cold »

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 11:58:56 pm »
Are you going to put them in the first post?

[...] Can you choose the creatures that are downloaded to your computer?
In some ways yes.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 12:22:39 am »
Another One? 

Here Is The Main One:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2814.0

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 12:34:24 am »
Another One? 

Here Is The Main One:

But did you get any answers?

Are you going to put them in the first post?

[...] Can you choose the creatures that are downloaded to your computer?
In some ways yes.

When did he say that?

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 01:57:48 am »
Another One?

Here Is The Main One:

What makes you think this post will get any answers?  My thread might not get any answers but It's better having one pointless thread than two.  ;)

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 02:01:59 am »
I have an intereasting question, if you do get the ability to genetically alter things before you get to the intersteller phase then couldn't you create a second intelligent species? Or would that ability only be unlocked far later?

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 03:27:31 am »
probably engineering would come in stages as well...  maybe at first engineering would only mean the ability to cross breed, or the ability to pick and choose very clear parts (legs, arms, head).  I imagine you would be at the far end of the engineering spectrum before you could enhance a brain.

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 09:03:40 am »
Another One?

Here Is The Main One:

What makes you think this post will get any answers?  My thread might not get any answers but It's better having one pointless thread than two.  ;)

This thread is for getting together all the answers that we HAVE gotten to emails, not for asking them ;).

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 09:25:17 am »
Woops!  My Mistake.

But still the answers we recieve will be posted on the same thread anyways.

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 12:09:20 pm »
Thanks for answering him mason.

Yeah, so if you see an email and an answer from will wright, post it here, it doesnt have to be your own.

Im gonna start looking around today to find some.

Oh and Samog, i would, but i dont know how?

Unless your talking about me modifying my first post and putting all of them in there, maybe that would be a good idea, what do you think?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 12:10:54 pm by Forever_Cold »

Offline tuggles

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 03:20:48 pm »
probably engineering would come in stages as well...  maybe at first engineering would only mean the ability to cross breed, or the ability to pick and choose very clear parts (legs, arms, head).  I imagine you would be at the far end of the engineering spectrum before you could enhance a brain.

BUT...we know monoliths will exists. So you could create a primitive species and drop them on a planet and then send down a monolith and they will become sentient. OH the possibilities!

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
What is a monolith, ive seen that term used quite frequently, but im kind of unclear on what it means.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
What is a monolith, ive seen that term used quite frequently, but im kind of unclear on what it means.

well, in short a monolith is a huge towering and mysterious object. most ppl here seem to think of that black monolith from the 2001: Odessy. it seems to be that the term monolith means a huge alien object used to uplift a species.

Offline Duke Rajko

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Monolith basicly means a column built in one piece, like a sing block.

In this sense however, I believe its that big black rectanglar box from 2001: A Space Odyssey, I think thats how you spell it. It sings and passes on information, it taught monkeys to be more intelligent starting them on the path to human-ness. Like this,

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 06:15:40 pm by Duke Rajko »

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Lol ive never seen space oddesy.

But i think i understand what its suppose to be...sorta.

Offline Duke Rajko

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
I highly recommend it, one of the greatest films ever. Especially HAL 9000. There are probably so many jokes you've missed out on by not knowing.

Offline SL

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Re: See answers that Will Wright has given us via email (a compalation)
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006, 07:10:46 pm »
Or you could read the book. And then the sequels. :P

They're all good.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
Q: Will there be population dynamics such as predator/prey population cycles?

Q: Will there be procedural evolution in addition to drawing from the central databases?

Q: Will there be any means to remove species from the game, short of genocide?
A: It seems like removing them is the definition of genocide.

The slug is very happy with these two tidbits (the third is there just because I thought it was very funny  :p )

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Too bad to hear that space stations do not appear to be among the options for Spore.. I figured that Dyson spheres would be out of the question, simply because they'd be almost impossible to create, but I thought space stations wouldn't be that hard.. Oh well.. Let's hope that option will be included in a possible expansion pack..  ;D

Offline Sadisticfaction

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
OR, you could watch this flash of our dear Mr. Pickings. :D
http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/history1.htm

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile

What does this mean?

Does it mean the game is evolve your creature in addition to you making it?

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
It means that other creatures will evolve in realtime with your creature.  It would be very complicated though, since it would mean that (potentially) every individual creature would have to be accounted for in game memory, as opposed to just the species.

And we can be pretty sure that spacestations will be among the first of expansion packs (well formed opinions from the gastropod)

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
And we can be pretty sure that spacestations will be among the first of expansion packs (well formed opinions from the gastropod)

Pretty sure because we think it should be in it?
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
well... although gastropods are not normally a spacefaring creature, those of us who have been lucky enough to set stomachfoot in space know that... well... it's the in place to be  ;)

But space travel and interplanetary war or commerce without spacestation outposts?  I'm quite sure given their steady presence in most space-based sci-fi that they'll be in an expansion very shortly after release.  And if not, give EA 5 or 6 expansions and they'll have to include it by then.  :D

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
well... although gastropods are not normally a spacefaring creature, those of us who have been lucky enough to set stomachfoot in space know that... well... it's the in place to be  ;)

But space travel and interplanetary war or commerce without spacestation outposts?  I'm quite sure given their steady presence in most space-based sci-fi that they'll be in an expansion very shortly after release.  And if not, give EA 5 or 6 expansions and they'll have to include it by then.  :D

you're assuming a universe where it is difficult to launch off of a planet, so the space station makes that launch easier, there is no trouble with that in spore, so what is the POINT of a space station when there is no exit/reentry difficulty?

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
There is none and btw did u hear that spore might be comming out in march 2007  :o :o :o :o

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Catnip, where did you hear that?

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
ummmm one of the posts i dont no how to put on links so unless u tell me ur screwed.....

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
just copy and paste the url.

Offline carcajou

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile

In 2001 Space Odyssey, it is the big black shinny thing, but generally speaking, the term monolith comes from mono (one) and lithos (stone). It is a term frequently used in archaeology when talking about unique big chunks of rocks that have been sculpted. For example, a menhir from Britanny is a monolith, an obelisk from Egypt is a monolith, the Olmec heads in Mexico are monoliths, so are the Easter Island mohai.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cyrus on Yesterday at 11:26:32 PM
No, this is a brand new issue (April 2006) with Will Wright on the cover, he's the guest editor for this issue, which focuses on the future of games.  The headline is "Will Wright's New World of Games".

THERE IS A TWO-PAGE SNEAK PEEK OF SPORE THAT CONTAINS NEW INFORMATION AND SCREENSHOTS.

Actually, there's really only one new pic, on page 111, that shows another planet, similar to the one from the GDC 05 demo, but it looks like a different world.  The rest are the same ol' pics.  Here's the full text of the "article":

"Spore!  The creator of The Sims takes evolution to the next level.  Want to be the intelligent designer?  Will Wright's next game, Spore, takes you on an epic journey from the origin of life through the development of technology - and eventually into outer space.  Construction tools (the black-and-white boxes shown here) let you create every aspect of the Spore universe.  Start by choosing how your creatures evolve.  Next, decide how they develop a civilization.  Then plot how they take over the universe.  EA will release Spore next year."

Here's the sad news: the article clearly states that Spore will be released "next year".  The fact that Will Wright was the editor leads me to believe that this is acurate information.  Actually, I had heard from my connections that the Fall 06 date had been thrown away quite a while ago.  OK, so that sucks.  Who knows, maybe it's still less than a year away, in early 2007... But hey, there's new information!  Most of it is graphical, and is a chart that kinda shows the progression of the game, and shows iconic editors for each stage:

CELL:  Cellular creature editor, also indicates different kind of cellular creatures
CREATURE: Creature editor w/ various parts categories and subcategories and texture editor, plant editor w/ categories and subcategories
TRIBE: Tool editor, weapons/armor editor (maybe this is a clothing editor too), indicates various types of huts
CITY: Building editor, city defense editor (turrets for your walls)
CIVILIZATION: Vehicle editor w/ texture editor, indicates various types of vehicles (land/water/air/space)
PLANET: Indicates terraforming tools
SOLAR SYSTEM: Not really sure what it means, but it seems to indicate that other creatures and civilizations on other planets (I thought this was in the galaxy phase, and terraforming was more for Solar System stage...)
GALAXY: Shows all kinds of icons, indicates different kinds of planets.

This indicates/confirms plant and armor/clothing editors.  I think the big news is the "next year" bit.  I guess we'll have to see what's announced on Thursday 3/23.
  k it is a wired article, brand new one, page 111
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:20:31 pm by catnip18 »

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Wow, thanks for posting that article catnip. I wish i could see the new screenshots.

And do you know what magazine that is from?

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
I'd like to say the "March 2007" date is just my personal educated guess.  Not a fact, and I don't feel is really suitable for a thread about confirmed things Will Wright has said.  I was just pointing out that a sneak peek put together by two Spore artists and edited in some aspect by Will Wright himself says "next year".  This was published this week, which leads me to believe they mean 2007, unless they mean next fiscal year, which goes from April 1 2006 - March 2007 (but since technically this is the April issue, that would mean this article came out in the next fiscal year, so....yeah, take that for what you will).

Until we hear anything official from EA (probably at E3), please remember it's all just guesswork.
Looks like even I was being optimistic with a March 07 release date...

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Wow, thanks for posting that article catnip. I wish i could see the new screenshots.

And do you know what magazine that is from?

It was me who posted it:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=432.msg86572#msg86572

It's from the April 2006 issue of Wired, just got put on stands.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
o lol sorry for posting that, you said it was in a wired article and that there was new stff, thought it might be helpful

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Oh, well then thank you cyrus.

Do you think you could get the new screen shots on here?

Lol, catnip, its fine, but its still new news, so i like reading it, i just cant put it in the compalation cuz its not an email.

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
o lol sorry for posting that, you said it was in a wired article and that there was new stff, thought it might be helpful

Oh no prob dude, but remember that I am certainly no official on this :)  I could be wrong about March 07.  Apparently just today the head of EA Mobile claimed Spore was coming to mobiles this year, for example.   There probably won't be an official word on it until E3, though. 

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Yeah i would say almost everything you hear (unless directly from will wright) is speculation.

and i would say that any said release date is speculation until it actually comes out lol.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:33:58 pm by Forever_Cold »

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
i agree with that last part....... one time i waited 4 months for a game to come out then it was delayed 20 times.... not kidding.... and now i dont even rember that game ??? :o :-[ :-X :-\

Offline Cyrus

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Forever_Cold - I'm going to try to take photos of the pages and put them online this evening, maybe in like 3 hours or so when I have the time/camera.  No scanner, sorry.  And yeah, sometimes it's best to not believe any release date until it goes gold :)

catnip18 - Waiting 4 months for a game is nothing.  When Half-Life 2 was announced at E3 2003, they said September 03, then they delayed it and people started speculating Holidays 03, then Spring 04, then Summer 04, then Fall 04, and finally in October 04 they announced it was being released November 14th 2004.  If Spore comes out in 2007, that will be a 2-year wait.

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Lol its a good thing i didnt know anything about half life until about a month ago.

Ignorance is bliss.

oh and thanks for taking pictures, that would be awesome.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
The game was delayed 20 times each time aobut 2-5 months... about 3 years..... hell

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
A beta would be nice if the release date is pushed back that far...but who knows...that topic has been discussed
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Forever_Cold

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
I dont think they would release a beta, cuz they want everyone to be super hyped about the game when it comes out.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
SPORE HAS BEEN CONFERMED FOR MOBLE DEVICES :o :o :o

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
Spore moble might be realeased this year which means spore will proable come out this year.... big might

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
Cut down on those double posts, please. The Modify button is there for a reason.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
sorry i thought i did..... ??? ???

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Here is my question to Will. I know their is no multiplayer but if there is in an expantion can it be like this ...

I think i have a way for it to work. You have it where you go through in single player all the way to UFO. And then and only then you can make a wormhole (or somthing) and travel out of your universe to a Maxis HUB universe where the multiplayer game is. No one can get into your home universe but everyone can interact in real time in this shared HUB universe. In short if you decide to go back to your home universe then nothing will be chnaged or effected.

Offline Beomoose

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Serpents
Lol, Go easy on the Multiplayer thumbscrews, man. 2 generations of Sims games have done fine without conventional multiplayer, and considering all the groundbreaking work the Spore team is already doing I can't fault them for leaving Multiplayer off the table for now.
With Your Shield, Or On it.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
but you gotta admit, a game such as this just SCREAMS multiplayer!  They could fake an MMO by having each solar system as it's own instance that is used only when people are inside it.  In a sense it would have "true death" in that if your species was wiped out, you would have to start over from microbial stage.  This would make space travel and alliances crucial since space travel would be the most sure way to escape doom if someone got hostile on you, also if you inhabit more than one planet there's greater chances of surviving.

If someone discovers by accident (can't detect you till you get radio waves) your species before you're very advanced... you should hope that they're not going to squish you.

So, you wouldn't have the entire universe, you would have your own single player "map" that others could join if they stumbled into the territory.  This would mean that odds on having more than a dozen players on a single "map" would be slim, yet every person playing spore would be playing within the same galaxy.  There would be no need for language servers if you were allowed to choose the region you start in, perhaps even have an option "find Spanish" -  "The greatest concentration of players using Spanish settings are in this area: would you like to control a microbe in that area?"
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 06:25:34 am by slugfly »

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
do i smell a spore mmo?

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
Don't get your hopes up.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
really :-\  just be glad for a spore hand held 

ALL HAIL WILL WRIGHT

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
really :-\  just be glad for a spore hand held 

ALL HAIL WILL WRIGHT

for the POSSIBILITY of a spore hand held.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
I have no interest in a handheld device...  but really, a "fake" MMO Spore would work the same way that any online FPS or RTS game works, except that you could join a map at any time simply by crossing the border (as opposed to all players launching the map at the same time).  Thus an MMO Spore would be incredibly simple to make, compared to a real MMO like WoW etc.

Smoke and mirrors gang, smoke and mirrors.

Offline Skraeling

• Akalabeth Addict
  • My what big teeth I have.
    • View Profile
not getting my hopes up, just saying the game would be feesable(sp) (yea drink bad for spelling).

No, really.  I am a card carrying scientist.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
i thought now that it is not confirmed for mobiles..
Under construction

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
It is confirmed for mobiles, just not that the mobile version of Spore will be coming out in '06, but rather in '07.

-Understated elegance.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
    • View Profile
well lets hope the first version, the pc version comes out 06
Under construction

Offline Sigma

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Ya I personally think thats how it will work, P.C. version comes out first, then mobile in 07 :)

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile

Offline Leannain

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
It is confirmed for mobiles, just not that the mobile version of Spore will be coming out in '06, but rather in '07.

Probably the pc version will follow the same schedule.
"the act of procreation and anything that has any relation to it is so disgusting that human beings would soon die out if there were no pretty faces and sensuous dispositions"-Leonardo da Vinci O_O

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
Because a lot of previously answered questions are being reasked lately, I thought I would get this moved up the forums a bit so that people can go through it before asking their new questions.  It wouldn't hurt to see the videos and read the main FAQ on this site either. (Or look at GS's interviews with WW while you are at it, but that might be too much to hope for.)
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
Hey Will,

Let me just start by saying, Spore looks amazing!  I only just learned about it a couple of weeks ago, and when I saw your GDC 05 video I was in awe.  I can't wait for this game to come out, but take your time because that will just make it more amazing.  Anyways, the reason I really sent this email, other than confirming how amazing this game looks, is I think you should release the creature editor sometime before the game comes out.  There are two reasons for this.  One reason is that people will have fun with it and get to create the perfect creatures for their game so it's ready when they come home with the game.  The second reason is this can create that database of creatures that comes with the game for you.  What do you think?

Can't wait for E3, I won't be there but I'll come home from school and read every article I can find on spore.

Thanks for taking the time to read my email

-Craig
-----------------------
Craig,

That's already our plan.

-Will
-----------------------
Will,

Sorry if this is asking too much, but could you tell me when you might be releasing the editor?

thanks
-Craig.
---------------------
Don't know yet.
------------------------
Ok, thanks again Will.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

TheChaos7

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
Is that they don't know IF they are going to release it or WHEN?

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
They dunno when but it pretty much says they are planning to release it earlier :)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
It looks more like a question of when than if.  If this is up to date, then it would seem like Will is planning on sending out the creature editor, but doesn't know when he will, for some reason.  If this is still true, that would be amazing!
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Don't get too exited, they're not going to release it until they've completed the final version of the creature editor. And that means it won't be released until much, much closer to release. So we'll still have to wait a while.

Offline Fobok

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
Don't get too exited, they're not going to release it until they've completed the final version of the creature editor. And that means it won't be released until much, much closer to release. So we'll still have to wait a while.

Actually, very likely the nearly-final version. I'm guessing, like the Bodyshop, this'll have a secondary effect of being a beta for the editor. It'll likely be close to bug-free, like most game demos, but it'll let them test the functionality. They'll want to put it out early enough to make changes as necessary, but late enough it can be as close to the final version as possible. I'm guessing it'll be 2, maybe 3 months before release. (Which, even at the earliest estimate, is still months away, so yeah, a while to wait, but not as long as we do for the final game.)

Offline qyasogk

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
that is AWESOME news. i feel much better.... i want it NOW!

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
    • View Profile
cool at least now we know that an editor will come out
Under construction

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
well it would be cool if they released the editor early but i doubt it. Also that idea Hyrdro had was pretty cool.(storyline material->) It would be like each player having there own galaxy in one big universe and they could have one galaxy called something sweet like the ....... eternal....... rune...... portal.......Alarion...... Nexus galaxy or something where you have RT battles against other players on one planet and UFO's are obseleted. That would be cool. It would sorta be like Battlenet. Envision this..... You load up Spore you click on "multiplayer" and this bulkhead door closes across the screen.... this sweet metallic voice states: "You are now entering Eternalruneportalalarionnexus galaxy space"........ And ya log in. I can see it all ready. :D
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
cool at least now we know that an editor will come out

I'm pretty sure we've "known" that for a while.  It seemed logical given Maxis's past history.  I wonder how long before the game goes gold it will give out the editor though.  I am thinking 2 months.  It gives everyone a chance to play around without losing interest.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail