Author Topic: Just bought Oblivion and The Game Guide!  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
  • The "I'm Not a ____, but..." King
    • View Profile
Just bought Oblivion and The Game Guide!
« on: March 18, 2006, 04:53:09 pm »
Too bad I can't pick up the game until 10am this coming up Tuesday...

The guide is really great though. It's HUGE and in full color. All in all it is 368 pages of awesome.

Anyone else buy the guide?

This space for sale.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought Oblivion and The Game Guide!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 06:22:23 pm »
guide! ha, I scoff at your guide  :P no i'm not getting a guide. Maybe for mixing herd recipies and for enchanting faq.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Twiggs

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 06:40:21 pm »
What does the guide consist of?

Offline DrJonez

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 06:41:09 pm »
I don't understand people who buy strategy guides for games like Oblivion. Why would you spend $60 on a game that's all about exploring and figuring things out on your own, and then another $20 on a book that ruins all the surprises and puzzles for you?

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 07:29:01 pm »
I agree with the good Dr. here. anyway i bet all the usefull stuff will be on the internet in no time anyway. so are you getting the 360 version or the PC one?

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
  • The "I'm Not a ____, but..." King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 10:13:36 pm »
I don't understand people who buy strategy guides for games like Oblivion. Why would you spend $60 on a game that's all about exploring and figuring things out on your own, and then another $20 on a book that ruins all the surprises and puzzles for you?

That's the beauty of it! I'm only reading about the features and some of the free-form stuff you can do SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER Like stealing totems from warring goblin tribes, placing the totems in an enemy cave and the goblins will do ANYTHING to get the totems back. So if I get the Rock Biter goblin totem and place it in the White Skin goblin lair, the rockbiters will form an all-out assault and stop at nothing to get their totem back. END OF SPOILER.

The guide contains pretty much all of the quests and a main quest walkthru which I am not reading! I'm just looking at the screenshots and reading the notes. Also, it has every weapon type/monster type/Alchemy info.

One thing that strikes me as strange is the MINOR SPOILER IF YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT OBLIVION AT ALL guide states that anything in the guide isn't really set in stone because the game adapts as you level up. You can do the main quest at low level and then do the main quest at high level and your experiance will be much different because as you are leveling up everything in the game is leveling up too. In one cave you may find Skeletons and Zombies at level 1 but then find Liches and Gloom Wraith's at level 20. END OF MINOR SPOILER

I will let you know that the arena is going to be amazing as will the physics. The people that made the guide said that you have to take your armor off and sit it on a hill at least one time so you can watch it tumble all the way to the bottom.

Well now that I typed all of that I'm going to cook some dinner and finish oooh'ing and aaaahhhh'ing about Oblivion.

If you have any questions just ask and I'll do my best to find out some answers.
This space for sale.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 11:27:25 pm »
I'm glad to hear that you're not using it for quest walkthru. But reading your "spoilers" just make me more giddy for this game.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Stryke

• Fire Truck Driver
  • That guy from Britain...
    • View Profile
    • Community HQ
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 12:25:45 pm »
No game guide for me. I'll be doing it all myself first time round, with possible help from GameFAQs in extreme cases. ;)

Twiggs

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 01:48:31 pm »
The game guide would be more of a novelty for me.  Would be nice to have and browse through for the heck of it.  And later you can always flip through and trigger memories.