Author Topic: "Congratulations, you have just saved a SimEarth-SiteData file, for use in..."  (Read 4140 times)

Offline SL

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
I just discovered this in SimEarth (it isn't mentioned in the help file as far as I can see). In SimEarth, ctrl-left-click on the terrain in the edit window, and SimEarth will say "Congratulations, you have just saved a SimEarth-SiteData file, for use in future products." This creates a 128-byte GAIA.SEC file in the SimEarth folder.

Googling Simearth sitedata returns a whopping 0 matches.

Hmmmmmmmm!

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
I think that might be a bit far-fetched. ;D
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
I find it very odd that with all of the rabid fans and typical internet documentation that fans write that theres nothing on google about it.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
it's worth mentioning that maxis has gone to a LOT of trouble to make their games interconnect already.  Simcity and Sims 2 are a golden example, with sims2 adapting in many different ways into Simcity.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Putting Sims 2 faces on your spore creatures.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
I just discovered this in SimEarth (it isn't mentioned in the help file as far as I can see). In SimEarth, ctrl-left-click on the terrain in the edit window, and SimEarth will say "Congratulations, you have just saved a SimEarth-SiteData file, for use in future products." This creates a 128-byte GAIA.SEC file in the SimEarth folder.

Hmmmmmmmm!

only problem is that sim-earth is more than 10 years old...

Offline DrJonez

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
I remember back in the day thinking it was completely awesome that I could load up my Simcity 2000 cities into SimCopter and fly around. And then drive around in them in Streets of Simcity. Fun stuff :)

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
It would be nice if you could use a Simearth world as your basic template. Of course the game would need to create creatures based upon the different creature types you have around and make the planet as pe the simearth file. It would be nice if even all it did was determine what your planet was like. It would be super freaky sweet if they actually incorporated this into Spore.

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile

Hmmmmmmmm!

only problem is that sim-earth is more than 10 years old...

While simearth is 10 years old, the data that it saves could simply be shoved into a template in Spore to create a planet.  It is extremly far-fetched but I don't see why it's impossible, it's not like we're saying we can load spore planets into simearth.  Simearth already saves the planet data, Spore could just take that out, fiddle with it, and poof a planet.  I'd be impressed if that happened in some fashion although it is unlikely it is by no means impossible.
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline Zorlac

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Sporewiki
Well, maybe they were planning the possibility of using it in the future, and wrote that in just incase. It doesn't mean they will use it, though. Or that it's possible ot turn saved data into proceduraly generated planets. It's hard to plan for the future...

Offline SL

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
My guess is they figured that *maybe* they'd use it in a game, and maybe not, so they didn't document the feature in the manual (or anywhere else available to the public). If Maxis had later come out with a product that could read the "SimEarth-SiteData" files, then they could've included something in the manual for that product, telling you to press ctrl+left click on the edit window to save it.

But I wonder what's actually in the file... SimEarth saves are around 41 KB, and 7zip can compress them with ultra compression to around 15 KB. The "SimEarth-SiteData" file, by comparison, is 128 bytes. Maybe it's just information on your atmosphere, biosphere, settings, etc? Not storing each tile, but storing the total number of each biome type, of each type of life, each type of city, etc. Or maybe not.

Offline Cousarr

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • URF Online
If it's only 128 bytes open it up with notepad and see if it's in acii. If it is you might be able to make heads or tails of it.

Offline SL

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
It's not, I already checked. And I also tried pausing, saving that, changing two tiles on the map from arctic to ocean (technically I tried to change them to rocky, but they were too low, I guess), re-saving it, and comparing the two versions of the file... And half the bytes in the file had changed, so I've got no clue what's in it. :P

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
The problem I see is that Spore could probably have a greater variety of terrain types and configurations than SimEarth could, and does SimEarth even have enough complexity to its maps that you'd get attached to them particularly? And doesn't SimEarth only present earth-like planets, while Spore can have all sorts of weird alien worlds?

Heck, would've made more sense to make it work with SimCity than SimEarth.. SimCity's set on earth, SimEarth is an earth simulation, so the lack of variety would make total sense.

And each square of a SimEarth map is basically homogenous right? IE, this one's a mountain, this one's a grassland, this one's an ocean. Put that into Spore and you'd see these weird, huge stretches of identical terrain types. Hm. I guess that'd be kind of different from what Spore would itself generate then... so, that'd be obscure as hell but not completely without effect.

That said, this is a rather interesting bit of trivia. It's interesting to see that even then Will or somebody at MAXIS was thinking these games could build on eachother, even though it was a feature they didn't take advantage of at the time.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 04:11:34 am by Stromko »