Author Topic: Saurians  (Read 1959 times)

Offline RaptorJedi

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Adorkable
    • View Profile
Saurians
« on: March 17, 2006, 11:06:34 pm »
Now that this section has been made, I can finally post my creature. I was waiting for this to finish. Anyway, Saurians are not their real name but thatís explained further down. An example of them is in my avatar. I didn't draw it, a friend of mine did. I plan on drawing them on my own at some point, but my drawing skills aren't that good. And tell me if its hard to follow or something. I will clean it up if it is, but at 2 am I'm bound to make some mistakes :P

Average weight: 50 pounds (22.73 kgs)
Average height: 4-4 1/2 feet tall (121-135 cm roughly)
Life expectancy (male/female): 210/220 Saurian years (About 65 days longer than a earth year)
Food supply: Meat, mostly small mammals and birds, a few lizards, eggs and some plants.
Survival temperature: 40 degrees to 120 degrees (4 Celsius to 48 Celsius) they are warm blooded, but have a higher tolerance for heat.
Speed: 35 mph normal run (56.31 kph) if needed, though very exhausting 55-60 mph in short bursts (about 95 kph) for about 100 feet or more (about 30.48 meters) (note: this is during tribal times when there was a need for it, as time progressed and the need for such speeds wasn't there, they got slower. They can still run fairly fast, but their top speed is somewhere around 38-40 mph, and only in short bursts. And of course it varies between individuals)
Jumping height: 10 feet (3 meters)

Description:

They have greenish skin, with the ability to turn colors. But its limited to a light shade of blue and red, and not all parts of their body can do it because evolution is slowly pushing it out. Itís thought that at one time they could change a multitude of colors, but now itís limited to the two. Red is anger, and blue is a sign of compassion, or in some occasions, surprise or even fear, but it depends on the situation. Their tail, now useless, is mostly for show. It was once used for balance, but when they started walking upright it started to shrink. Now it is a status symbol, larger tails are preferred over smaller ones when it comes to mating because a larger tail means they are better adept at survival. Of course that has little meaning now, back when they were living in the desert, a strong male with a large, thick tail got plenty of food and were able to produce strong offspring. Saurians have small ear flaps that resemble fleshy horns above and behind each eye. They helped to keep the harsh desert winds from blowing sand into their sensitive ears, which caused infections that eventually caused hearing problems.

Female Saurians give birth to live young, maybe one to two children per pregnancy. They are pregnant for about 7 to 8 months and are sexually active from the age of 23 until about 160. Though there are cases of pregnancies past that age. Male Saurians are sexually active from the age of 25 until around 180.

History:

During the tribal period, Saurians were a nomadic people, living in the deserts and the edges of the jungles that cover most of the planet. Some members of the species settled in the Jungles but it was rare because of the larger predators that live within them. A few tribes that lived on the southern continent made their way through the jungles to the only plains lands on the continent, and started to settle down. The place they chose was at the base of the largest mountain, water from the top flowed down creating a sort of paradise. The location provided everything they needed, water, food, shelter. It was perfect. The perfection of the area caused the Saurians to have a love for nature that has gone way beyond obsession. They didn't have many wars, only two in their whole history. They weren't very major either, and they aren't really talked about. The worst event in their history was when the plague struck; it wiped out about 5 to 10 percent of the population at the time. It caused their skin to turn a dull gray and flake off, and eventually attacked vital organs.

Religion:

They have no religion, just a great respect for nature, and itís looked at as a higher power by some. Everything from where they build their houses and buildings, to wars are carefully thought out and evaluated to see the impact they will have on the local plant and animal life.

Life Style:

Early Saurians live in tribes, and each tribe has smaller family groups within them. Those family groups still exist, even though tribes were done away with. The family group is run by the oldest female, and when she dies itís passed down to the second oldest. During the tribal period the heads of each family got together to create a council to lead the tribe. Occasionally males become the head of the family but only when there is no female that is old enough to lead the family. Though times are changing somewhat, most higher up positions are held by females.

Saurian males are not considered adults until they complete the hunt, though in modern times the hunt has changed and has nothing to do with entering adulthood. During the tribal period they had to go out in groups and kill a larger animal, if they failed they had to wait a year before being allowed to try again. In modern times the hunt has become more of a sport where a flag is tied to the horn of a large animal, and the point is to remove the flag from its horn while itís trying to throw you off.

Due to their xenophobia, they don't travel between star systems much. They are capable of doing it, but they prefer staying within their own system. The reason for their xenophobia is they received transmissions from space early on (about where humans are now) and it caused them to stay on their planet for another two hundred and forty years. So when they eventually made it into space they had made leaps and bounds certain areas of technology that made space travel easier, such as a clean burning fuel that was cheap to make.

Relations with other species:

Saurians are slightly xenophobic as a whole. They make contact with other species occasionally, but they never disclose the location of their home system, or even the name of their species or how to speak their language. They created a completely new language for the purpose of communicating with other species. As for the name of their species, only they know the real name. They end up using other names, either from their trade language, or names given to them by other species. (Saurians aren't even their real name; itís just the best translation from the trade language, in the trade language their name means something along the lines of "Lizard-like creatures that walk on two legs"). On a personal level Saurians are known to make friends with other species but they never tell the location of their home system even to their closest friends.

More later whenever I come up with it. I have had the idea for this species in my head for years and now that Spore is being made I'm fleshing them out.

Offline LONE GUNNER3

• Intellivision Junkie
  • I WILL RULE ALL.as soon as I get Spore that is .
    • View Profile
Re: Saurians
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 11:27:54 pm »
They sound great.I love how much info there is about them.Hope to see more in the future  ;D
MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA one day l shall RULE the galaxy.And that day will be when Spore comes out :p

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rpg_man/Untitled-1.png

Offline RaptorJedi

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Adorkable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 11:31:30 pm »
Thanks, I wrote most of it within the last hour. So I was more than a little worried about how it would come out. Right now though I've hit a block and I can't think of anything else.

Offline LONE GUNNER3

• Intellivision Junkie
  • I WILL RULE ALL.as soon as I get Spore that is .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 11:33:54 pm »
Well what types of tribes,maybe say what them two wars were about. ;)
MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA one day l shall RULE the galaxy.And that day will be when Spore comes out :p

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rpg_man/Untitled-1.png