Author Topic: Halo Forerunner  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
Halo Forerunner
« on: March 17, 2006, 08:39:43 am »

I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
Re: Halo Forerunner
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 08:47:04 am »
The name thing doesn't sound likely.  If anything it'll be called "Halo:  Forerunner".  There's also rumours that it may be some kind of strategy game, and not Halo 3 at all.
I certainly don't think they're going to drop the Halo name, it's far too well known.

Offline SurfMurph

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • My blog on MSN Spaces
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 08:48:56 am »
I'm suspicious of any rumor in an April edition of a gaming magazine.

btw, is April Fool's Day, April 1st, a North American thing? Or do other countries have fun with this date too?

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 09:38:53 pm »
Yeah we all have fun on April 1st I have a friend who has taken to only telling the truth to big secrets on April 1st because he was so notorious in his April fools pranks that way no one believes him and he can come along April 2nd and maintain that its all true.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 12:29:24 am »
Wow, never even noticed the fact it was supposedly from an April edition magazine.
Damnit, I hate April 1st.  How is stuff like this even remotly funny?

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 07:19:05 am »
It's not absurd enough to be an April Fool's prank.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline the_mitch28

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 08:02:55 am »
There is a good chance halo 3 will have a lot to do with the 'Forerunners', they've been leading up to it since halo 1 and more about the forerunners was revealed throughout halo 2. But I doubt there going to call it Forerunner, like someone said before the name 'Halo' is known to well for them to just change it. More likely if the game/name has anything to do with the forerunners then it might be called Halo 3: The Forerunners kind of like the name Halo: Combat Evolved but Halo 2 was just Halo 2.

Offline Leetard

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 02:45:28 pm »
It's not absurd enough to be an April Fool's prank.

Agreed. Especially from Game Informer. Those guys can get pretty crazy.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 03:48:07 pm »
Lol, I remeber when EGM wrote that you could get a nude version of DOA 3 if you did some outrages steps. Oh, and then next year they said you could get sonic and tails in SSBM. Goood times

Offline Stryke

• Fire Truck Driver
  • That guy from Britain...
    • View Profile
    • Community HQ
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 06:34:21 pm »

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 09:32:15 pm »
They should just call it Marathon 6 and cut the crap already.  :P
Currently playing:

Rocket Slime (DS)             Guitar Hero II (PS2)
Resistance (PS3)               Zelda (Wii)

So many good games, so little time...

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 08:27:59 am »
I don't think it's a joke. The actual article points out that people would likely think it was but it isn't. And the fact that there have been statements coming from Bill Gates and his elite X-crew seem to indicate that something is definitely up with Halo 2's successor. Will they change the name? Possibly. From what I've heard, the Halo has nothing to do with the new game, so Bungie felt no need to tie it to that in title since the halo itself was very prominent in the first two games. In this one, not so much.

Master Chief is in it, its got 4-player co-op (which makes me doubt that it's some sort of RTS). Basically, it's what Bungie wanted Halo to be in the first place but supposedly had to develop the notion of Halo's storyline and limit their scope for the sake of getting the first game out on time.

We'll see. Sounds promising though. I like the limited resources approach.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 09:06:23 am »
I don't think it's a joke. The actual article points out that people would likely think it was but it isn't. And the fact that there have been statements coming from Bill Gates and his elite X-crew seem to indicate that something is definitely up with Halo 2's successor. Will they change the name? Possibly. From what I've heard, the Halo has nothing to do with the new game, so Bungie felt no need to tie it to that in title since the halo itself was very prominent in the first two games. In this one, not so much.

Master Chief is in it, its got 4-player co-op (which makes me doubt that it's some sort of RTS). Basically, it's what Bungie wanted Halo to be in the first place but supposedly had to develop the notion of Halo's storyline and limit their scope for the sake of getting the first game out on time.

They're travelling to the Arc, to remote activate ALL the Halo's, thus destroying all life instantly.  I wouldn't exactly say that has nothing to do with the Halo's themselves, maybe we won't visit any, and the name Forerunner could make more sense, especially if the humans turn out to be the Forerunners.  But like I said before, the name Halo is far too well known for them to drop it.  It'll be "Halo:  Forerunner" if anything.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 10:38:41 am »

They're travelling to the Arc, to remote activate ALL the Halo's, thus destroying all life instantly. I wouldn't exactly say that has nothing to do with the Halo's themselves, maybe we won't visit any, and the name Forerunner could make more sense, especially if the humans turn out to be the Forerunners. But like I said before, the name Halo is far too well known for them to drop it. It'll be "Halo: Forerunner" if anything.
I'm not disagreeing that it will have Halo in the title somewhere. Microsoft likely won't allow there to be much variation in the series' title -- not now or ever. But it won't take long to spread the word that a game called FORERUNNER is the sequel to the Halo series if you have Master Chief in it. As long as you've got him on every gaming magazine, every poster, every commercial -- everywhere -- it won't be much of a secret that it's a follow-up to the franchise.

But that's just my opinion.

Offline Stryke

• Fire Truck Driver
  • That guy from Britain...
    • View Profile
    • Community HQ
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 06:50:55 pm »
Whatever happens, I'm sure they'll keep 'Halo' somewhere in the name. Seeing as the game is in the 'Halo universe', they'll probably keep it, even if there is no ring this time.