Author Topic: Ender's Game  (Read 22994 times)

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
Re: Ender's Game
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 08:10:26 pm »
It's only at the end of the Saga cause those are the last ones he wrote. Aside from Ender's Shadow they don't reveal anything meaningful about the other series. Ender's Shadow and Ender's Game are the same book written from different points of view, this might sound dumb but he does it very well and it's worth it to read both of them.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2006, 01:12:49 pm »
I loved ender's game loved xenocide. Beans' books i liked but got turned off by the last on, seemed to be more about Pro-life vs. prochoice issues. What gets me the most about the bean books is that the made peter stupid. Everyone is smarter then Peter, it drives me crazy. In EG Peter was Smart and Evil, now he's just a ***** cat. >:(
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2006, 06:32:32 pm »
Everyone IS smarter than Peter. Peter's not dumb, but if it came to working a military any of the Battle Schoolers could beat him. As for the whole pro-life thing, yeah I noticed that too, but hey, the author's a mormon, and Bean was raised by a Catholic NUN. I think I can make some lee-way.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2006, 12:25:31 pm »
I enjoyed Ender's Game quite a bit, and it is actually my best friend's favorite book of all time. I cannot speculate as to how many times he's actually read the thing -- at least a hundred. The sequels weren't worth reading, IMO, simply because he stopped being Ender due to the events of the 1st book. Ender's Shadow and the resulting offshoot series has actually be remarkably good, however, and I would recommend them to anyone that enjoyed Ender's Game.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2006, 11:29:41 pm »
I just finished Ender's Game. Great book and I wasn't quite expecting the twist at the end.  I'm starting the 2nd book now, Speaker for the Dead.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2006, 03:04:05 pm »
I really enjoyed this book. I read it after reading the Halo books and it almost made it seem like Ender was John. The stories seemed to kind of mesh and it was really cool. Havent bothered to read the other ones because I get confused on the order of them.

Okay, here is the order:

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

And Bean's series:

Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant

The Ender and Bean ones can be read independently of each other, but having read one will greatly enhance the other.

Are you sure that’s the right order? My mom got me Xenocide and Ender's Shadow for Easter. She says that she got her info from his site. Did he write them in a different order or something? Thanks

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2006, 09:48:47 pm »
Are you sure that’s the right order? My mom got me Xenocide and Ender's Shadow for Easter. She says that she got her info from his site. Did he write them in a different order or something? Thanks

yes the list looks right to me. I just relized I never read shadow of the giant, I need to get reading!
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2006, 12:53:35 pm »
Oh boy... I'm reading Speaker for the dead, but I keep getting lost. All these wired names that make it hard to remember who is who, and then it switches languages with out warning.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 09:30:56 pm »
Thats the book I am on, Speaker for the Dead. It is different than Ender's Game and I wish it didn't have so much language changes but the story is good. I'm more than half way through now. And the order according the the front cover is just as Oviraptor said.

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2006, 10:15:03 pm »
Have you guys read this. Mainly the part about the controversy around enders game.

Also, on that note. What is the difference between xenocide and genocide? Or is it the same thing?

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2006, 05:54:13 am »
Have you guys read this. Mainly the part about the controversy around enders game.

Also, on that note. What is the difference between xenocide and genocide? Or is it the same thing?

Xenocide is when you kill the unknown (like killing the buggers, they knew of them, but did not know them). Genocide is when you kill an entire race, culture, nationality, etc.

Well, here is it straight from Orson Scott Card's own mouth: (or his hand, I guess) http://www.hatrack.com/research/questions/index.shtml You'll have to browse a while to find what your looking for though.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 06:00:59 am by Oviraptor »

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2006, 02:16:22 pm »

Xenocide is when you kill the unknown (like killing the buggers, they knew of them, but did not know them). Genocide is when you kill an entire race, culture, nationality, etc.

Well, here is it straight from Orson Scott Card's own mouth: (or his hand, I guess) http://www.hatrack.com/research/questions/index.shtml You'll have to browse a while to find what your looking for though.

http://www.hatrack.com/research/questions/q0122.shtml

Lol, I forgot he was LDS like me. And he's right; none of our beliefs are any where in the books.

They have hated us for years. If you didn't know, we were forced out of sever states early on because of what we believed in. Freedom of religion?! HA!

(Sorry to go off on a tangent)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2006, 07:25:03 am »
I'm going to say this for everyone's benefit. Speaker of the Dead and Xenocide are not terribly good; they spend so much time on bizarre scientific theories and sort of lose track of the amazing qualities that Ender possesses. I trudged my way through them. Children of the Mind is an improvement over those two, but you can't understand what's happening in it if you haven't read the 2nd and 3rd books. Even so, it's still sub-par after the stellar Ender's Game. In truth, I've felt the greatest successor to Ender's Game was Bean's series. It feels like Ender's Game, or at least a straight continuation from it. Spending more time with Peter, who is possibly my favorite character from the series apart from Ender, is awesomely fun. The series really runs with Bean most of the time, but Peter stands out in every scene even when he's being made to look like an idiot.

And I disagree that Peter isn't as smart as the Battle School kids. With the exception of Ender and Bean, Peter's the smartest person around. He doesn't know as much about military tactics and the like because he never went to Battle School. Otherwise, he's tough to beat. [There is actually one person smarter than Peter other than those two, but it's sort of surprising who that is if you've only read Ender's Game and I don't want to spoil it for anyone; it's a great scene.] In fact, I'd say all the Wiggins children compare very favorably with the vast majority of Ender's jeesh in terms of intelligence.

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2006, 02:17:53 pm »
Can someone with Enders shadow grab there book and help me out.

I'm listening to the book on CD so I can't re read this very easily. I'm at the part were bean is like struggling with his school work, and ends up putting something like 2+2=BS+N. I know there’s a joke in there somewhere, but I don't see it >_<

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2006, 04:48:35 pm »
Ender's Shadow is the only one of those books I don't own  :-\ I checked it out from the library to see if it was any good, and I have a hard time buying a book I've already read.