Author Topic: New creature, the Chirri  (Read 2965 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
New creature, the Chirri
« on: March 15, 2006, 09:04:58 pm »
well ok I haven't drawn the creature yet but I have the concept in mind for it, I got the idea after seeing something about flying foxes on Animal Planet report tonight (you know, one of those flashes of inspiration out of nowhere), plus seeing Dreyfusses Nezumi I thought I could make a sort of furrie, these guys are not as humanoid as the Nezumi though.

The Chirri are a race of mammalian omnivores that descended from an arboreal race of animals that somewhat resemble a flying fox and a flying squirrel which developed the ability to glide, some species went further and went to a bat-like form, another branch didn't develop the wings and instead kept their fingers free for manipulation and that branch developed arboreal gliding forms and some ground forms, the ground forms became bipedal as they expanded onto grasslands, their legs would resemble a typical mammalian hind legs except bieng modified for bipedal locomotion and have a long thick tail, thier body would sorta resemble a kangaroo because they'd be adapted to a more upright stance, though not as 'upright' as humans. I haven't quite decided on the arms and hands, but this is the main possibility, one would be that the hands are developed from a batlike configuration except that three of the fingers and the thumb are free, although they are still a bit long and there is a little bit of webbing in between, the remaining finger suppourts a thin web of skin which goes down the arm and connects about halfway on the body, it is useless for gliding because they are too heavy but is still used in courtship displays and other uses, sometimes they use it when running really fast to give themselves a little bit of a lift. They have a foot long neck to help them reach the ground and to snatch prey, and thier head is somewhat rounded due to thier enlarged brain which gives them a humanoid look and they have an elongnated dog-like muzzle that is a little wider than a dogs muzzle. They use a wide range of vocalizations ranging from barks, chirps, squeals, yips, whistle-like sounds and due to thier strong and flexible tounge they can also mimic other sounds and could almost speak 'human' if they wanted to.

oh yea, they are also relatively large, average height is around 5 feet. Thier diet is varied, fruits, small animals, sometimes larger ones when they can do it, eggs, they are your general all around omnivores.

I'll draw these guys tomorrow as I thought of it a bit late tonight and I'm a bit tired, so...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:42:03 pm by smjjames »

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
Re: New creature, the Chirri
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 08:07:17 am »
 Nce, by your description this is a pretty funny looking fox/squirrel. You have quite the imagination to turn a fox into somting like that. Can't wait for the pictures. :)
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 02:26:47 pm »
smjjames you should really make a one big post with all your creatures like i did.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 08:31:08 pm »
Nce, by your description this is a pretty funny looking fox/squirrel. You have quite the imagination to turn a fox into somting like that. Can't wait for the pictures. :)

flying fox actually, they are a group of larger fruiteating bats which live in the tropics, mostly SE Asia, Australia/Oceania, not sure if there are some in Africa and South America.

and yea I know I havent drawn it yet, I might try to get some done tomorrow.

also, this creature is suppoused to have evolved from a group of mammals that have a branch that did evolve into bat-like forms but one group kept thier arboreal lifestyle and later went back to the ground. Basically its like if the evolution of bats resulted in more than one branch.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 08:36:25 pm by smjjames »