Author Topic: Another random spore link  (Read 9955 times)

Offline NeonDevil

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • Nova Divine
Another random spore link
« on: April 20, 2005, 10:59:46 am »
http://www.blueandorange.org/blue/archives/2005/04/spore.html

This person claims to have been hired as a programmer by maxis for spore...

legit or not?

ConfQuest? Nah, I'd rather do Amtgard instead.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: Another random spore link
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 11:02:31 am »
Interesting.  Wonder what his specialty is.  -leeman

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 01:24:51 pm »
Well, if it IS legit, he'll probably find THEY don't 'utilize his full potential' either, since the core programmers have been working on the game for, what, five years?

However, he has the location right, and he does seem to have quite a bit of 'moving' crap posted. So, probably not a total lie. It might even be completely true.

-Craig

Offline pathos

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 02:24:27 pm »
ha!  completely true.  i'm sitting at a coffeeshop in tucson, arizona, right now.  yesterday morning i left austin, driving out to san francisco.  so if i'm mistaken about working on spore, then i'll be awfully surprised when i show up at the maxis offices and they turn me away.

why would i lie about being hired, anyway?  that would be kind of silly.  "look at me, i got a job!  just kidding!"  hah!

as for what i do, at ion storm i did tech programming for 4 years straight, so that seems like an obvious choice.  or, certainly i'd be concerned if they handed me a wacom tablet and told me to start cranking out textures or something.

yeah, it sounds like the team has been working on it for a while, but presumably that has something to do with why it looks so good.

as for credendo, who posted to my blog asking me to post info about the game: alas, i haven't even started working there and already i can assure you i won't be able to say much of anything.  i'd rather not get fired, so nothing that isn't approved for public consumption.

and, frankly, if they approve some information for disclosure, who do ya think they're going to want getting up and saying it, me or will?  i think he might generate a *tiny* bit more enthusiasm than i will.

anyway, good to hear you guys are excited about the game.  as it turns out, so am i!

Offline pathos

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 02:48:13 pm »
btw, nice icon, craigp.  in fact, during my interview at maxis, i named starcon2 multiple times as my #1 favorite game of all time.  some of them hadn't played it!!  shocking.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 03:07:56 pm »
Nice to hear it. Good luck, and I'll keep an eye on the credits to see where you pop up.

Feel free to stop by and repeat anything Will says. :D

-Craig

Offline NeonDevil

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • Nova Divine
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 03:20:22 pm »
I don't think anyone is being called a liar here...

It's just that you can't really trust stuff on the net...
With 'games' like "I love Bees" and the newer one for the X-Box360, you just never know.
ConfQuest? Nah, I'd rather do Amtgard instead.

Offline WeltallZero

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 06:12:31 am »
This is quite interesting in itself. At this point we pretty much thought the game was nearly finished, at least regarding most of its engine. The fact that they're hiring not an artist or music composer but a tech programmer like yourself is very intriguing. Was the game less complete than we though? Or perhaps they're adding even MORE stuff and detail into it, if that's conceivable? The mind boggles.

At any rate, welcome aboard! it's really nice to have someone with inside info posting on these forums, even if you can't disclose such info. Perhaps you'll be able to shoot down misinformation. :)

I'll be frank, as a programmer myself I'm massively envious; more so this being a project that's so ambitious algorithmically. Be sure to enjoy. :)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 08:24:30 am »
Yeah, I'm a programmer as well, this looks like a dream project. Of course, I'm not a very good programmer, so it's probably a good thing I'm not on the team. Maybe they're hiring people to work on expansion packs and whatnot...

Offline Mr. Themhpe

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • MathiasPedersen.com
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 08:30:40 am »
The expansion packs? Steve said in his latest podcast, that it's most likely that the expansion packs will be done by different companies, than Maxis and Will Wright himself. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Aspiring Danish 2D and 3D artist Mathias Pedersen's website:
MathiasPedersen.com

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 08:38:43 am »
That's true, he did say that, but they might want to make the expansions themselves.

Offline Bios Revision

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 12:07:36 pm »
Hey pathos, are you working on the PC version or the XBox 2 version?

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 02:32:14 pm »
Hey pathos, are you working on the PC version or the XBox 2 version?

Oh, excellent point. They'd need a solid team of coders for the port.

-Craig

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 07:33:09 pm »
Hey Pathos. I believe you, and that's great if you got a job at Maxis.

However, I also know that you'll need to sign a super-nasty NDA on day one and you'll probably never be able to speak about Spore in public outside of what is printed in any EA press release.

But if you're going to E3 let me know and we can hook up. I would be curious to speak to you, I know ... other programmers working on Spore as well. ;D
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline HCantu99

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 10:36:58 am »
There's another website I discovered that seems to be about "A Real-Time Procedural Universe" and it looks like the author of that website DID work for Maxis (maybe still iS?).  What's fascinating to me is that under the "screenshots" section, there's an image of a moon with a caption that says "millions of craters packed into 4 bytes of memory".  All the other planet and cloud images are pretty interesting as well - (maybe test images his programs generate?).

http://home.comcast.net/~s-p-oneil/

I wonder if it's in any way related to Spore?

HCantu99