Author Topic: The PonoPono [a chameleonic semi-sentient nectavore]  (Read 3271 times)

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
The PonoPono [a chameleonic semi-sentient nectavore]
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:25:44 pm »
so, here's my new creature:

pardon the sketchiness, i'm not used to drawing on the computer. could have drawn it by hand, but the scanner is rather dead...
i do not truley intend to make this creature, the game might not permit it. but i kinda' dreamt it this morning, and felt it should at least be fleshed out a little.

i call it the ponopono. it's mouth is something of a long hollow probiscus, much like an anteater has. a tongue will emerge from this mouth to lap up the liquid it's native "flowering" plants have.  basically, it's a nectavore, that disperses pollen from plants as it moves about.  the "feelers" on the end help it smell and taste to see if the flower has nectar within. it really is quite small, no bigger than say a sparrow or a finch. maybe only mouse sized, i haven't narrowed it down.

it's hind legs are much like a grasshoppers. it moves about springing around. unlike a grasshopper or cricket it has no wings to assist in it's movement.  instead, it has an active bacteria on it's three fingers and two toes. this bacteria is beneficial, and permits the creature to "stick" to things. it's legs, very much like a cricket, have ears. those little antennae like things on it's heels pick up sound vibrations.

the two sets of eyes look at different things. the smaller frontal eyes look down it's snout, to help it look into the flowers it pollinates. the larger eyes permit it to see the world around it, these are used to watch each other, and any approaching predators.

the tail is used both for balance on windy days, as well as grabbing. the tail is prehensile, and can twist about the stalk of a plant to help hold the ponopono in place.

you may notice it's skin coloration, that was sorta' done quickly and not a true representation of the creature. why? because it doesn't usually use sound to communicate. sure, it makes a few clicks, and can even make the sound it's named after, a louder "pono pono" calling sound to find fellow ponoponos.  but once nearby they "speak" to each other by changing the colors of their skin. yes, they are chameleonic. and much like a cuttlefish, they can chatter between each other with their skin which has many layers of color cells permitting rapid and varied changes. they also use this ability to help hide them from predators, again, much like a cuttlefish. it's entirely possible that you may hear the small clicks and pono pono calling, and never see these creatures. they will quiet down when any larger creature approaches, until they are certain the being means no harm.
once they feel it's clear, they will quickly begin chattering away again which will easily make them visible. sadly, this works against them, as some of the smaller predators hide among larger herbivores until the ponoponos start up their chatter.

luckily, the ponoponos have a healthy degree of sentience. nothing amazing, i doubt these will even make cities or tribal states. no, at most they form communes and build houses they weave from various plant parts. often you can come across a tree the ponopono's live among, and see the odd shaped structures. they are quite smart too, harvesting slimey funguses across the branches of the trees to ensure predators can't attack their homes. they are even smart enough to use funguses and other plants that do not harm the host tree... no sense killing the thing you want to live in.

-- as an aisde, you can see why i don't think these will come to fruition in the game. talking by skin color changing? a city that would take up a tree, instead of a plot of land? imagine their micro spaceships if they ever made them... hah! --

i do not think they will ever actually get to space travel. when you are small, an entire planet is pretty impressive in and of itself. i can imagine teams of these attempting to subdue a cow sized herbivore to move them around the planet.  heh heh.

i must say, i really like this idea. no fangs, no strange claws, it's not a predator, it works with it's environment knowingly... and it's tiny, as opposed to the healthy amount of creatures two times larger than humans.  i can't wait to get this game. i'm gonna' make all the small hopping, flapping, floundering seemingly pathetic creatures, and make them sentient beings of supreme power!

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The PonoPono [a chameleonic semi-sentient nectavore]
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 08:45:16 pm »
Very cool.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 09:00:25 pm »
OK i like this one alot. I am very impressed. I especilly like were the ears are.

Offline LONE GUNNER3

• Intellivision Junkie
  • I WILL RULE ALL.as soon as I get Spore that is .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 11:51:53 pm »
I like it,its very different  ;D
MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA one day l shall RULE the galaxy.And that day will be when Spore comes out :p

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rpg_man/Untitled-1.png

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 12:01:47 am »
With the set of eyes dedicated to detail in front of it, I can see these becoming superior artisans. ;) I likes 'em.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 03:57:05 am »
thanks for all the positive feedback.  i seriously saw this thing while i was waking, so i'm pleased he turned out so well.