Author Topic: ourcolony.net Speculation  (Read 4229 times)

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: ourcolony.net Speculation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 04:10:39 pm »
Interesting site. These type of campagins annoy me a bit because they go through so much trouble to make information nearly impossible to figure out I wonder if these "what it all means" web sites are also created by the same people doing the site itself. Interesting, but semi-annoying.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 07:36:24 pm »
I couldn't even figure out the password to play!  I had to google it.  Then I gave up when it said I needed to be in a "colony" and solve riddles.  I'd rather play StarOcean3!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 09:02:40 pm »
I remember all these wacky sites all over when the Matrix game was released, and everybody had done all the hacking up to a certain point and thought they were just stuck, so everybody was going nuts calling numbers and stuff from the game. The reasoning was that the game was so big on HDD space that there had to be more... but there wasn't. I'd like to see a really well-executed real world accompaniment (<-that's no word) to a game some time. Some sort of really good integration would be cool, sort of the the sites from when Perfect Dark was released, but to a greater extent. Anybody remember that one game that was supposed to call you and email you in real life, and it was some sort of mystery game or something? A game like that, but to a lesser degree, would be cool. I don't want to see my Spore critters running around in real life or anything THAT extreme, after all...

Offline bselig

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 11:14:21 pm »
Majestic.  Supposedly it sucked and was incredibly annoying.

I'd be interested in the reasoning behind this brand of marketing.  They're seemingly going after an incredibly small audience, among whom there's already substantial mindshare for their stuff.  I mean, I own an XBox, am interested in the 360 and am currently postng on a videogame message board, but even I can't be bothered to go through all this sh*t just to catch a glimpse of a controller or J Allard's shiniing cranium or whatever.  Is this tedium supposed to turn already hardcore consumers into evenagelists and evangelists into a cult? 

Then again, it can't cost all that much to slap a few websites up, so why not. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 11:16:21 pm by bselig »

Offline franchise

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 08:48:44 am »
I'm thinking it's more about keeping people talking about it than actually getting new customers. Along the way people who are a part of it will say how excited they are about xbox 360 and the word of mouth will be what gets others interested.

Offline bselig

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 08:51:39 am »
Yeah like I said, turning the already faithful into evangelicals.

Spread the word, brother Franchise.

Offline franchise

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 08:53:07 am »
I'm trying.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 09:56:31 am »
Yeah, Majestic. I never heard about the game except in a Popular Science article or something. I always wondered how it would turn out.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 08:38:07 pm »
Majestic sucked because there was very little to do on a daily basis. You basically "played" the game for like 30 minutes to an hour and then you had to wait a day or two before you could play again. It was a good game in theory, but there just wasn't nearly enough to do. But it was a very interesting idea...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 09:38:51 pm »
Am I thinking about the same Majestic where you were a king recruiting heroes into your kingdom and setting bounties on the heads of monsters?  I think I'm a little lost. -leeman

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 07:58:19 pm »
http://pc.ign.com/articles/128/128565p1.html

I never really played it, but it didn't sound like my kind of "game." Maybe if they gave you a pistol and named it Majestic Ex... I'd rather have my conspiracy theories with high-powered weaponry to lighten the mood, thank you.