Author Topic: A New Creature: The Squillisk: New Art!  (Read 13429 times)

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
A New Creature: The Squillisk: New Art!
« on: March 13, 2006, 07:25:20 pm »
Hello! This is a creature I have designed way before I heard of spore, but this is the first time I am putting it down. Although I have drawn it, my art is terrible and I have no way of uploading it to a computer. I would greatly appreciate if someone could draw it for me =).

Physical:    The Squillisk are an interesting creature. The squillisk have elongated, pointy, slightly curved head, with a beak at the end. the beak is surrounded by Six colorful tentacles, used to hold their food while the beak bits off pieces. They have six large, black eyes, three on each side in a triangular pattern. Their upper torsos are relatively humanoid, although they have a third arm growing from their chest. The hand on this arm has two fingers and an opposable thumb. The other two arms, however, do not end in hands, but end in large scythe-like bones, used for hunting, defense, and to support their body when tired. Past the torso, the body ends in a long, serpentine tail, which they use to propel themselves by slithering. Their skin is moist, and pale. They range in length from 10-14 feet, with twelve being the average among males. Often, they elevate their upper bodies to at least 5 or 7 feet. There is not much different in length between Males and Females, however, females are often heavier and thicker in girth.

Diet: The Squillisk is a predator, evolved from a swift moving eel-like aquatic creature. It is amphibious, and hunts in different ways depending upon it's habitat. On land, it is a stealthy ambush predator, staying still for hours at a time until unwitting prey comes close enough to snatch. However, in water, although it occasionally ambushes it's prey, it can also propel itself through the water using it's tail, allowing it to chase after small prey and maybe escape from a larger predator.

Society: When the Squillisk evolved sentience, the solitary predator slowly adapted to pack hunting with it's brethren. A curious, intelligent creature, the Squillisk quickly learned how to protect it's soft skin with the skin of more armored beasts, and increase it's reach with crude spears. However, although they came together to live in small tribal groups, they were still rather divided, with fear and suspicion dictating their tribal interactions.

This is all I think I can write right now. I'm tired. I'll try to right some more later, a'ight?!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:17:52 pm by Xarionis »

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
Re: A New Creature: The Squillisk
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:04:08 am »
draw a quick thing with paint to give people an idea of what its like rather than a description
Never mind your own business.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 11:52:18 am »
I can't draw in paint, I have a trackball mouse :(.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:52:24 pm »
You guys hate it that much :(?

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 06:56:50 pm »
I like it, but i cant draw:) very original idea actually
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 06:57:06 pm »
You guys hate it that much :(?

Give it time, it's only been up for a day.

Offline Tylui

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 07:04:27 pm »
I like it! I have a great mental image of it...  But I swear, I can't draw worth crap... But if I could, this is one of the few creature descriptions I've read that I would enjoy drawing.  I'm trying to come up with a creature of my own, and I had considered the triangle-eyeball pattern...  Anyway, again, I like it

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 07:42:37 pm »
I thought this was important, so I'ma gonna include it.

Squillisk Reproduction ;): The squillisk has internal genitalia, although they are rather different than those on familiar earth animals. Female Squillisk have three tubes in their mouth, one for respiration, and one for food. However, the male squillisk only has two tubes, and what looks like a second tongue. The male and female squillisk both put on displays to attract a mate. Before the mating season, Females collect reeds and shells from the aquatic areas they live in, and build a small, decorated hut. The males, however, collect as much food as possible, and create a pile which is defends ferociously from it's competition. Stealing is rampant among the men, trying to frantically collect as large an offering as possible. When a female chooses a mate, they transport the pile of food into the hut, and they mate by first locking their tentacles together. The male uses it's "Second tongue" to fertilize it's mate's eggs in the third tube, which leads to the uterus. Thus, in more modern Squilliskian Society, confusion runs rampant as to wether their alien neighbors are mating or just kissing.

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 07:47:24 pm »
ok, that silliness got you a post from me. i would try to draw it but i still can't see it. are the tentacles at the back or front of the head. how the hell does that third arm work, i just can't picture the underlying skeleton or musculature. why is it even needed? this thing seems like it can swim well enough that a grabbing hand just isn't needed. or is it not swimming?  if no, then that will be one hell of a clunky land animal.

i do like the idea of fellow squillisks not knowing if partners are kissing or mating. that's funny, i just worry about intercourse trying to get around those beaks.  that thought just... i don't know, scares me?

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 12:16:57 pm »
The tentacles surround the mouth, which is at the front of the head. They third arm is there because if Hydromancer can have his hands in his mouth I can have one on my chest, gosh darnit >:(.

The tentacles aren't very long, anyways. The third arm is what grabs the food and moves it up to the tentacles, which hold the food and the beak snips off chunks.

Offline jmrdex

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 04:30:32 pm »
Verry cool and verry descriptive. KUTGW ;D

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 06:20:33 pm »
What does KUTGW mean ???

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 12:02:56 pm »
No answer?

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 06:26:06 pm »
KUTGW = Keep up the good work

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 07:02:04 am »
Okay, I'll try.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 05:45:18 am »
Thus, in more modern Squilliskian Society, confusion runs rampant as to wether their alien neighbors are mating or just kissing.

LMAO! i can picture it now...

*father squillisk walks in on daughter squillisk and daughter's boyfriend squillisk*
father: what the-!
daughter: no, no, dad, we were just kissing, i swear!
*father eyes them suspiciosly*
father: well, alright then...
*father walks away*
*daughter and boyfriend have a good laugh, then continue 'kissing'*

:D
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline AnotherMike

• Galaxian Guru
  • Vacuums don't much like Nature either . . .
    • View Profile
    • A. Mike's Creature Gallery
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 01:43:31 pm »
If you'll accept a fairly crude drawing . . .

Was *this* about what you had in mind?

I have a gallery on hydro's site:

or go straight to mine at:
http://spore-planet.rpgs.sytes.net/Gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2409

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 03:08:55 pm »
WARNING: LOW QUALITY IMAGE ALERT ALERT. I had to take this picture with my crappy camera. It's uncolored, too. I hope you can see the basic idea of it, though.

Edit: Also, mike, is that an evil slice of toast in the background?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 03:19:58 pm by Xarionis »

Offline AnotherMike

• Galaxian Guru
  • Vacuums don't much like Nature either . . .
    • View Profile
    • A. Mike's Creature Gallery
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 05:00:57 pm »
LOL!

My scanner apparently picked up the page behind it as well. And yes, that is, er, half of an evil peanut butter and jelly sandwich. His co-conspirator is still at large.
I have a gallery on hydro's site:

or go straight to mine at:
http://spore-planet.rpgs.sytes.net/Gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2409

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 01:11:40 pm »
My friend said he'll let me use his scanner, so expect a color picture of the squillisk tomorrow :).

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 01:49:55 pm »
Sorry I haven't updated in so long, I'll try to get something over the weekend, alriiiiigh?

gec05

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 02:55:34 pm »
You mean me don't you Xarionis? As requested, here is your new Squillisk!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 03:34:20 pm »
That turned out good :)

But whys it say "05" ? Its 2006

gec05

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 03:37:05 pm »
05 is the year I graduated High School. It's not a date, it's just part of my forum name.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 03:44:15 pm »
05 is the year I graduated High School. It's not a date, it's just part of my forum name.

Oh oops "gec05" sorry about that. I feel stupid now.  :-[

gec05

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 03:47:52 pm »
Meh... that's ok. :D

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006, 05:59:53 pm »
It's rather good! I appreaciate it muchly!! Although did you see the note about coloring at the bottom of my  request post? It's okay, though, Squillisks have chromatophores.

*edit*: Do you mind if I put this on the Squillisk's wiki page? You'll be credited, of course.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 06:03:10 pm by Xarionis »

gec05

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2006, 07:48:51 pm »
Already did. ;D As for coloring, I knew the tentacles are supposed to be colorful, but it looks to be colorful anyways if you think realistically.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 07:51:18 pm by gec05 »

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2006, 08:01:57 am »
Neat picture! :)

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2006, 05:56:34 pm »
Squilliskian Warfare in the Galactic Stage: Space combat:  By the galactic state, the Squillisks cautiousness has transformed into incredible curiosity. Thus, most Squilliskian spacecraft are explorer vessels, designed to transport teams of biologists to collect data about lifeforms around the Galaxy. However, because some sapient lifeforms are hostile, the Squillisk know the important of having a millitary. Their space Navy is built mainly of stealth-equipped ships, designed to be functional for long times without needing to refuel. These ships are posted at important places in the enemies system, and, when an enemy ship is sighted, these ships first eject small robotic drones, which quickly latch onto the enemy ship, and attack the ship's vital area, such as fuel lines and life support. Then, the main ships close in on the craft, and, using high-energy laser cutters, slice through the armor, which Squillisk Space Marines enter into. Squillisk Space Marines are equipped with flexible armored suits with a full-face helmet, energy shields, and light weaponry. The marines use handheld sonic-beam weaponry, with functions capable of either stunning enemies, or, if the need be, pulverize their organs. The marines spread through the ship, and eventually capture it. Any prisoners are taken onto the Squillisk craft, and later, a Salvage Ship arrives in order to collect any usable resources from the damaged craft.

Later I'll add on terrestrial combat :D.

Offline luke

• Rigel Rescuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 07:09:13 pm »
omg i think the Squillisk is my favret monster Ive seen so far and i really like the idea of robot drones thats cool i give this a 10/10

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2006, 01:10:32 am »
Niiiiice creature, very imaganitive!

Are the Squiillisk interested in joining an alliance?
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=3715.0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 12:02:09 pm by Balthamael »
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 12:33:46 pm »
The Sombrerons, and we the Icthians believe the destruction of their planet was linked to LAH forces. Currently these people's militant attitudes are leading to confrontation in the Aegis system. We ask the Squillisk people to help us against these warmongers.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:36:56 pm by Daxx »

werechicken

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 12:36:08 pm »
So are the Halycon forces no longer evacuating, they're attacking?
If so remember that the CAB peacekeeping force will counter with full force, also you shall be driving the faculty to reconsider the use of the toxin

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 12:38:05 pm »
You see? They are warmongers, pure and simple. We're asking you to help us, because they obviously want a fight. They have already killed hundreds of thousands of innocents, and they now are threatening to do it again.

Who sends the Torpal to do peacekeeping, anyway?

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 01:57:29 pm »
that was me  :-[

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 02:00:38 pm »
**Transmission from a Squillisk Eviscerator class fighter: Captain Sqol'bor Dir**//Request denied. We flare our tentacles at your request. The Torpals have extended their numerous arms in friendship, and we currently have Torpal ships orbiting our homeworld in order to protect us. Like we'd really turn on them. We aren't stupid, we like our organs on the inside. But we will not make the first move. All Halycon corporation drones are hereby forbidden from Squillisk Space, and all transmissions will be blocked. Dhuilok Cht'aol! Sqal, Sqal!\\

((Flaring your tentacles is a sign of anger in Squillisk culture, and Dhuilok Cht'aol is roughly translated into English as "Bring Victory!"))

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 02:11:34 pm »
The Torpals have extended their numerous arms in friendship

this sentance always makes me laugh for some reason... :D
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 02:18:04 pm »
Well remember, the Squillisk only have one arm with a grasper on it.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2006, 05:08:02 am »
The Torpals have extended their numerous arms in friendship
i just got this.  ;D

anyway, the flaring tentacles remind me of Dr Zoidberg.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2006, 07:42:19 pm »
Squillisk Warfare, Galactic Stage, Subsection: Infantry Armor

In the Galactic age, like many other species, the Squillisk have developed many versatile powered exoskeletons. The Squillisk take pride in their exoskeletons, as they are specifically custom designed for every Squillisk trooper. They are lightweight, flexible, and provide many advantages over an unarmored Squillisk. The Squillisk's battle helmet is specifically designed to protect it's soft head, with a rebreather than defends it's tentacles looking like a sharp, conical beak, and a dark black visor with light amplification, thermal imaging, and  Heads Up Display capability . Each of the Squillisk's arm-scythes are reinforced with super-strong metal, designed to protect and increase the effectiveness of their natural weapons in combat. Often, a sonic cannon is intergrated into the right arm, supported by the middle hand and connected directly to the nervous system for firing. Some highly showboating Squillisk marines take to having their suits modified to allow them to have guns on both scythes, and even some find the audacity to carry a light Sonic Pistol in their third arm. Of course, these overconfident marines often have inferior accuracy, although the sheer amount of fire laid down can be incredible. The Squillisk, realizing their mode of locomotion could be less efficient in areas designed for other creatures, have equipped power armor with a pair of prosthetic digitigrade legs wired into their neural system, allow the Squillisk to run at high speed of up to 45 miles per hour, using their long flexible tails to balance. However, these legs are not suited to aquatic enviroments, and thus the Squillisk engineers have designed the legs to be capable of folding up and flexing along with the squillisk tail in aquatic enviroments, keeping them aquadynamic and allowing them to use their natural aquatic speed.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2006, 11:59:18 pm »
That is teh best descripption of a solider i have seen. Very Impressed.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2006, 12:11:44 am »
yes very cool...
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2006, 08:11:11 am »
Yay!

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2006, 04:28:48 am »
Ah... Heinleinish!  :)

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2006, 04:29:52 pm »
One of the Squillisk's achievements that they are the most proud of, and one of their greatest secrets, is their biological database.

This massive structure is buried deep within Sqal, the massive computer tended to by thousands of technicians. This construct is estimated to contain about two zettabytes of biological data of species around the galaxy, with more information being added each day. This massive machine is also the central hub for all Squillisk information networks. A massive, sentient Artificial Intelligence has spontaneously arisen in this huge collection of Data, and has since made contact with those who maintain the database. The AI, taking upon the name "Kul", is a seemingly benevolent construct, who has the capability of processing all data that travels on the Squillisk networks, thus, it similiar to a jar of all squillisk knowledge. When this information was made public, some Squillisk's were enraged and demanded that Kul be eliminated, however, due to Kul's benevolent contributions to Squillisk society, most have come to accept It's presence. However, the Squillisk, wishing to keep their knowledge secret unless they can absolutely trust who they give it too, has made it a incredible crime to divulge knowledge about the Database and Kul. The punishment is so horrific that none have ever broken this law, and the Squillisk hope to keep it that way, and even have a special group of warships known colloquially as The Gag, who's sole purpose is to eliminate any who may come upon this information. Of course, the Squillisk have never been forced to use The Gag. However, with increased contact with Sapient lifeforms, the Squillisk have become anxious and wary.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2006, 02:14:53 am »
Ah...ghost in the machine. Me like!  :)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2006, 02:17:23 am »
I know who the new ViS leader is going to have a kid with  :o

But thats for some time in the future and provided a new, better computer doesnt turn up.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2006, 09:36:52 am »
"Cyber Sex" takes on a whole new meaning.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2006, 04:44:07 pm »
Kul is more concerned with keeping itself amused and assisting the Squillisk than with romances with a big shiny black thing with a red eye.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2006, 07:33:22 am »
NECROMANCY GO!

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2006, 08:07:42 am »
Im pretty sure thats not allowed...

My creature thread is disappeariung of the first page, with two uncommented on updates. If i can stop myself pointleslsey bumping, so can you.

(If its allowed, ignore me xD)

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2006, 08:14:04 am »
Or I'll ignore you anyway ^-^. I'm writing something up, I just wanted this on the front page so that it's ready to post it'll be easier to find.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2006, 08:21:16 am »
Well...i suppose ill let you off....:P

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2006, 08:17:34 pm »
Ridiculously awesome art by Camdoggery. A Squillisk showing off his color-shifting ability.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: A New Creature: The Squillisk: New Art!
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2006, 08:25:27 pm »
WOW< I knew he was a really good artist but thats just amazing
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline nuclearchinchila

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2006, 08:27:12 pm »
O_o *Drops Dead*

*Rises from the dead to look at picture again*

Hey Camdoggery you want to draw the Syrbor in your style?  Feel free to dress em up however you want, just as long as it's not a tutu.

gec05

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2006, 08:42:58 pm »
I can still see the anatomy somewhat from my old version, awesome. ;D

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2006, 08:45:27 pm »
That's because I gave him yours as a reference, Gec ;).

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2006, 02:27:37 am »
Very nice picture! Very cool colours. :D

Offline Beastmaker88

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • YOUR'E NEXT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2006, 02:41:45 am »
That kicks butt on a whole new level, bravo bravo
a person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new-Albert Einstein

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2006, 09:50:21 am »
Camdoggery drew it, not me.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2006, 05:00:08 pm »
Doesn't anyone else like the art?

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2006, 05:01:44 pm »
pretty :)
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Camdoggery

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Get outta heeeeeere.
    • View Profile
    • www.camdoggery.deviantart.com
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2006, 09:16:03 pm »
I can still see the anatomy somewhat from my old version, awesome. ;D
It was very good reference material. ;)