Author Topic: A New Creature: The Squillisk: New Art!  (Read 13432 times)

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
A New Creature: The Squillisk: New Art!
« on: March 13, 2006, 07:25:20 pm »
Hello! This is a creature I have designed way before I heard of spore, but this is the first time I am putting it down. Although I have drawn it, my art is terrible and I have no way of uploading it to a computer. I would greatly appreciate if someone could draw it for me =).

Physical:    The Squillisk are an interesting creature. The squillisk have elongated, pointy, slightly curved head, with a beak at the end. the beak is surrounded by Six colorful tentacles, used to hold their food while the beak bits off pieces. They have six large, black eyes, three on each side in a triangular pattern. Their upper torsos are relatively humanoid, although they have a third arm growing from their chest. The hand on this arm has two fingers and an opposable thumb. The other two arms, however, do not end in hands, but end in large scythe-like bones, used for hunting, defense, and to support their body when tired. Past the torso, the body ends in a long, serpentine tail, which they use to propel themselves by slithering. Their skin is moist, and pale. They range in length from 10-14 feet, with twelve being the average among males. Often, they elevate their upper bodies to at least 5 or 7 feet. There is not much different in length between Males and Females, however, females are often heavier and thicker in girth.

Diet: The Squillisk is a predator, evolved from a swift moving eel-like aquatic creature. It is amphibious, and hunts in different ways depending upon it's habitat. On land, it is a stealthy ambush predator, staying still for hours at a time until unwitting prey comes close enough to snatch. However, in water, although it occasionally ambushes it's prey, it can also propel itself through the water using it's tail, allowing it to chase after small prey and maybe escape from a larger predator.

Society: When the Squillisk evolved sentience, the solitary predator slowly adapted to pack hunting with it's brethren. A curious, intelligent creature, the Squillisk quickly learned how to protect it's soft skin with the skin of more armored beasts, and increase it's reach with crude spears. However, although they came together to live in small tribal groups, they were still rather divided, with fear and suspicion dictating their tribal interactions.

This is all I think I can write right now. I'm tired. I'll try to right some more later, a'ight?!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:17:52 pm by Xarionis »

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
Re: A New Creature: The Squillisk
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:04:08 am »
draw a quick thing with paint to give people an idea of what its like rather than a description
Never mind your own business.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 11:52:18 am »
I can't draw in paint, I have a trackball mouse :(.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:52:24 pm »
You guys hate it that much :(?

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 06:56:50 pm »
I like it, but i cant draw:) very original idea actually
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 06:57:06 pm »
You guys hate it that much :(?

Give it time, it's only been up for a day.

Offline Tylui

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 07:04:27 pm »
I like it! I have a great mental image of it...  But I swear, I can't draw worth crap... But if I could, this is one of the few creature descriptions I've read that I would enjoy drawing.  I'm trying to come up with a creature of my own, and I had considered the triangle-eyeball pattern...  Anyway, again, I like it

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 07:42:37 pm »
I thought this was important, so I'ma gonna include it.

Squillisk Reproduction ;): The squillisk has internal genitalia, although they are rather different than those on familiar earth animals. Female Squillisk have three tubes in their mouth, one for respiration, and one for food. However, the male squillisk only has two tubes, and what looks like a second tongue. The male and female squillisk both put on displays to attract a mate. Before the mating season, Females collect reeds and shells from the aquatic areas they live in, and build a small, decorated hut. The males, however, collect as much food as possible, and create a pile which is defends ferociously from it's competition. Stealing is rampant among the men, trying to frantically collect as large an offering as possible. When a female chooses a mate, they transport the pile of food into the hut, and they mate by first locking their tentacles together. The male uses it's "Second tongue" to fertilize it's mate's eggs in the third tube, which leads to the uterus. Thus, in more modern Squilliskian Society, confusion runs rampant as to wether their alien neighbors are mating or just kissing.

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 07:47:24 pm »
ok, that silliness got you a post from me. i would try to draw it but i still can't see it. are the tentacles at the back or front of the head. how the hell does that third arm work, i just can't picture the underlying skeleton or musculature. why is it even needed? this thing seems like it can swim well enough that a grabbing hand just isn't needed. or is it not swimming?  if no, then that will be one hell of a clunky land animal.

i do like the idea of fellow squillisks not knowing if partners are kissing or mating. that's funny, i just worry about intercourse trying to get around those beaks.  that thought just... i don't know, scares me?

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 12:16:57 pm »
The tentacles surround the mouth, which is at the front of the head. They third arm is there because if Hydromancer can have his hands in his mouth I can have one on my chest, gosh darnit >:(.

The tentacles aren't very long, anyways. The third arm is what grabs the food and moves it up to the tentacles, which hold the food and the beak snips off chunks.

Offline jmrdex

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 04:30:32 pm »
Verry cool and verry descriptive. KUTGW ;D

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 06:20:33 pm »
What does KUTGW mean ???