Author Topic: Roleplaying games  (Read 44269 times)

Offline Atari Man

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • >[insert catchy phrase here]<
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplaying games
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 11:27:44 pm »
I love dnd, played it since I was a little kid. My problem has always been that I never have enough people to play with so its hard starting a game. Also, have any of you RPG'ers played RIFTS? I thought it was much funner (if more complex) then dnd.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 02:26:53 pm »
I started a game with my players imprisoned without their gear and it earned me nothing but trouble but they've won back their precious things and are happier.  They were like lilttle lost puppies for a while there though.  -leeman

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 09:36:42 pm »
I was always curious about pen and paper RPGs, but my friends weren't into it, so...
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2005, 05:30:10 am »
I played the LOTR, Star Wars, and a bit of the Star Trek D&D spin-offs. I always wanted to get into plain D&D but never had the chance or something happened that stopped it. In any case, I always wanted to join in a group, but never did.

Still want to...

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 11:28:52 am »
I used to GM D&D a good deal, but as hard as they try to promote it the d20 system just doesn't seem to cut for other genres besides fantasy, so me and my players started creating our own game systems to suit our needs (from an all-ninja campain to massive interstellar battles).

I haven't been playing GM as much lately since two of my most active players recently moved to China. =(
Currently playing:

Rocket Slime (DS)             Guitar Hero II (PS2)
Resistance (PS3)               Zelda (Wii)

So many good games, so little time...

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 01:29:04 pm »
As for board games, i am hooked on Carcassonne, and have all of the expansions but one for it. I am currently spreading the game to all my friends, getting them hooked too.

D&D, yeah i played, for a year or so. The trouble was that we always had to play at night, and because of that, and the normal length of a session was hours long, i would not get much sleep when i did. I'd usually come home just before the sun comes up. I had an awesome Kobold character named Thakmok. Dual wielding dagger and knew like 7 languages. racial max for strength. He actually ended up being the best fighter on the team, incidentally. Of course, a great role playable character. It does help that kobolds are seen as being so weak that they are focused on last when in a group. And being afraid of anything bigger than you was a problem to overcome. He was raised by Elf rangers who for some reason took pity on him as a youngling after killing off every last kobold of the tribe.

I never liked the Magik classes though. the closest i got was a bard, and maybe used a spell once the whole time. I just used her wily charms to influence people. natural 18 charisma can work wonders.

but this was all before version 3. I haven't played since.

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2006, 09:35:33 am »
Kobolds rock my world.  I have had a ton of fun playing as them and having them in teams.  D20 was how I finally came to enjoy DnD so it holds a special place in my heart.  Before that, the ADnD games I played had not been so hot.  I agree that it is not the be-all and end-all but I appreciate the boost it's given to gaming and I must say it is nice to know that I can walk into any major bookstore and camp out in the gaming section for a while.  Sometimes crass consumerism has its perks.  Currently, the only pen and paper rpg I'm in is a GURPS game that just started off.  The GM transferred his old DnD world into GURPS so it's been an interesting experience so far.  My character is similar to one of the Vazhilok reapers from City of Heroes.  That's the only way I know how to describe him.  What all games are other Sporumites involved in? I'd like to know what people are playing these crazy days.-leeman

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2006, 10:05:53 pm »
O wow... GURPS man... That was the system that started it all for me. My Dad had bought it for me when I was 12 thinking it was one of those "Choose your own adventure" books I was into at the time. I have some great memories of the system. Specially GURPS Supers... We had some great super-hero campaigns going. (And the weirdest super-heros ever too...)
Currently playing:

Rocket Slime (DS)             Guitar Hero II (PS2)
Resistance (PS3)               Zelda (Wii)

So many good games, so little time...

Offline sgore

• Questron Serf
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 12:52:28 pm »
For a change of pace why not try traditional board games in a role playing manner?  :D

Play Monopoly like Industrial Barrons!
Play Clue like Murder Suspects!
Play Scrabble like...like...um...English Professors?
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 02:08:56 pm »
Sorry, you failed the roll for that word, youre character arbitrirly doesnt have the intelligence to have thought of that :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2006, 07:01:59 pm »
Scrabble for Cthulhu...what more do we need. -leeman

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 02:28:26 pm »
wait a minute, Kz'ath- t'tholamek isnt spelled like that! Yeah, really great game ::)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
  • If we can dream it, we can do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 03:10:59 pm »
RPGs: As I am German I would've been beaten if I called myself an RPGer and did not play Dark Eye (Das Schwarze Auge) by Fantasy Productions. I think the current version is very nice (though the quality of the books is still.....not good) and we had tons of fun.
But as you just mentioned Cthulhu, my very favorite RPG (it's actually more a story telling game than an RPG) is Cthulhu.
The German system by Pegasus Press is fantasticj Chaoism has actually published quite a bit of the original German work.
I love everything about this system, great quality, design, stories, sources, hand-outs and overall feel.
Lovecraft is as creepy as it can get.

Boardgames: As I am German, I would've been beaten if I hadn't played the Settlers before the age of 10 ;) I don't really know what you mean with "those crazy German games" ;) i love Settlers and the like.
My favorite board game however is Talisman. I only played it when I was like 12 (my uncle owns it), but I haven't been able to find my own copy...it's out-of-print from what I know and pretty hard to get :(
It's a mix of RPG and boardgame...lots of fun :D
And yes I admit that I have played quite a bit of Magic: The Gathering and still own literally thousands of cards......
But I am clean right now...got away from it........though I played it again a few months ago and immediatly spent 50 bucks on new cards....darn Magic.... :(
Life, don't talk to me about life.
                 -Marvin, the paranoid android

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 07:29:26 pm »
I have a severely battle-damaged, inherited copy of Talisman.  The original box is missing as are some spells and all of the cardboard character stands.  Luckily, all the Character and Adventure cards are intact.  It had the City, Dungeon and Timescape expansion and was one of my favourite games of all time.  I still have a hankering from time to time to whip it out but it's a game where you need to have space to keep it for a week.  When I was a young and lonely lad, I would just play it by myself....for hours...  Moving away from my geeky chidlhood, this is an amazing game and from what I've heard, Runebound is its descendent so maybe that's worth checking out. -leeman

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2006, 12:54:13 am »
I used to play DnD as a wizard. (Not obvious enough ;))