Author Topic: Roleplaying games  (Read 43799 times)

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Roleplaying games
« on: April 16, 2005, 06:29:11 pm »
I was interested in knowing how many people play pen and paper rpgs?  I've been playing since around the mid 90s but I've been fascinated by my brothers' dnd stuff for years.  I've played all the dnds, west end and d20 starwars, d20 modern, hunter, werewolf, vampire and dabbled and many more.  I just finished gming a d20 Star Wars game and might run either an Iron Kingdoms d20 dnd game next semester and or a new White Wolf World of Darkness game.  Anywho, just thought I'd test the waters and see what kind of crowd hung out here. -leeman

Offline Cend

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplaying games
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 09:06:30 pm »
I've come soooo close to playing DnD so many times...but without any friends that do it, I've never actually played it...Kind of want to though, looks fun.  Mostly play Magic: The gathering, since my friend is fairly serious about it.
"Perfection is just the perceived absence of flaws."
-Marvilber, on the subject of elves.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 09:24:08 pm »
I used to play D&D with my brothers but all they ever did was kill everybody in the town. That is, until one of the shopkeepers morphed into a level 20 red dragon, then they quit and we didn't ever play again.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 04:08:43 am »
my mate tried to introduce it to me once, but I just couldnt grasp the concepts around it.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 10:36:52 am »
Roleplaying games are like any Hobby and take some strange push to get into them.  Like I said, for me, it was seeing tons of these strange books with poorly drawn centaurs on the covers that piqued my curiousity.  I mentioned it elsewhere I think but my brothers who introduced to gaming by a missionary/fantasy author who gave them a ton of gaming books when we were still in Nigeria.  However, the books were burned by another missionary.  Crazy stuff.  I was lucky in that even though I didn't have a very good group of gamers in high school and middle school, I kept my interest until college where the gaming was oh so sweet.  -leeman

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 08:42:26 pm »
I never really got into RPGs that much (pen and paper that is, not video games). Sometimes they could be a ton of fun if you had a good GM, but most times they were just boring.

Now board games, that's my thing! I love board games and continue to play nearly every day or so a board game. I'm really into the "German" board games right now and we try to play at lunch every day. Anyone board game out there?
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 09:37:03 pm »
My brothers love all the crazy german games (Rio Grande!) so I've played all sorts of crap like the Settlers series and Alladin's Dragons and others.  Of all the party games out there, my friends and I have been playing lots of Apples to Apples.  I also love good old Balderdash and Beyond Balderdash.  -leeman

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 11:49:00 pm »
i use to play board games alot, but when I moved out of home I left them all at my parents, so I dont play anymore.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 02:01:02 pm »
I never really got into RPGs that much (pen and paper that is, not video games). Sometimes they could be a ton of fun if you had a good GM, but most times they were just boring.

Now board games, that's my thing! I love board games and continue to play nearly every day or so a board game. I'm really into the "German" board games right now and we try to play at lunch every day. Anyone board game out there?

Can't beat a game of Chess - it's great if you only play occasionally, and then games can go on for hours if played properly.  Great game.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 08:02:18 pm »
I played this game called "Trade Wars" (I think) recently and it was pretty fun, albeit a bit dated. The Third World gets a dump truck as their symbol! And in what other game can Eastern Asia's currency become double the value of Europe's?

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 07:52:06 am »
RPGs?

TFOS - Teenagers from Outer Space - Humans have no abilities, but they were 'cool' :)
TOON - We did a D&D Toon game. Imagine Bugs Bunny, 'The Gambling Bug' , and Droopy Dog on a quest of the Red Dragon's Gold

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 11:26:39 am »
My brothers had TOON and I used to look through the book over and over and want to play.  How can you not love a game where Moxy and Chutzpah are stats?  -leeman

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 01:00:28 pm »
DnD sounds interesting to me, i've played a few rip-offs on the 'net, but the general hick area I live in leave a huge space-like vaccum in which it seems I am the only person that would like to play anything like that instead of hunting or some other retarded crap like that.
"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 11:36:52 am »
You'd be surprised at the ammount of gaming that goes on in the country.  I know I was.  My really good friend in college was driving through rural Ohio and they stopped at a gas station.  He spotted a gaming store and was blown away so he went to check it.  When he walked inside a bunch of large burly men playing Magic glared at him so he slowly backed away.  Also, anywhere that has a military connection tends to have a decent gaming population.  I live in Clarksville, Tennessee and there are two gaming stores on the same street and that doesn't include bookstores and other areas that sell stuff.  Just goes to show you never can tell.  -leeman

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 12:24:27 am »
I'm a huge D&D fan here. Although since I've moved to college I've had a hard time finding people to play with. If any of you go to the University of Idaho give me a message wether you want to play, want to learn, or just want to hang out. By the way Syphon with your friends just killing off everyoen in town, that's what the town guard is for. I had that probalem once so I quickly solved it by throughing the PC's in jail and having them quest for the king to earn their freedom back. Gettign beaten, striped of all your items, thrown in jail (fun RPing there, plus rogues have fun) and sent out on some mission with minimal equipment can bring your PCs back in line pretty easy, plus it strangely spices up the game when they have to use their characters without the magical items they've aquired.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-