Author Topic: Roleplaying games  (Read 43756 times)

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplaying games
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2006, 11:34:07 am »
Ya' know it! ;D

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2006, 10:54:14 pm »
Ah, RPGs. Real ones, not pixellated scripted rubbish.

I'm very into free-form RPGs at the moment, forums are ideal for them because you can think about things before you post (and being a mod for GMing helps). If you play with the right people, dice are unnecessary.

Having said that, I have had a lot of fun playing dice-based RPGs over the years. From D&D to our own games, they're all fun. *Looks over old campaign notes*

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2006, 10:09:47 am »
I'm very into free-form RPGs at the moment, forums are ideal for them because you can think about things before you post (and being a mod for GMing helps). If you play with the right people, dice are unnecessary.

Pfft. Thinking about things before you make a move? How basic. ;)

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2006, 02:03:49 pm »
Well, posibly not. You aren't really given that much time to think when charged by a kobald swarm.
I give all of my players one round (15 seconds) to think of their action. or more if their int/con is high. evil hombrewed rule, I know.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2006, 01:49:08 pm »
I don't play much anymore, but the last few RPGs we did we ended up just using whatever rule worked best for the GM. It was a demiensional-time travel game with 'linking-books' to jump from dimension to dimension. Extremely free-form. Handing a D&D warrior a chainsaw while riding THE TGV that has a bomb on it all while an annoying little NPC 'gremlin' is calling off the time until the train explodes yelling, "14 minutes to Paris!".

You had to be there. It was chaotic, and I wouldn't allow the players more than a few seconds before their thoughts became actions, or inaction... THAT was fun.
-----
"Your wizard finds a small device that you believe is a weapon. On it are instructions. The enemy soldier are running towards you screaming something at you."

"I try a read spell to figure out the instructions."

(roll roll) "You just about figure it out, but there isn't any time. Do you do what the instruction say?"

"Yes! Yes!"

(roll) "Good for you. Perfect roll. You do EXACTLY what the instructions say. (pause). The pin bounces off the helmet of a charging soldier and they all dive for cover. Make a saving throw vs. Death."

"Death?"

"Yeah, I don't have a 'saving throw vs. hand grenades."

"What?"

"The instructions say, (the whole group chimes in) 'PULL PIN AND THROW'"

I miss those games.

-----

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2006, 10:00:09 pm »
I miss playing paper/pen RPG's, did d&d, Mavel Super Heros, TMNT, and my all time favorite Shadow Run. I wish I could get a weekly game going but I don't know any good nerds any more. I also would like to try out star wars d20... My kindom for a GM!!! :-[
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2006, 07:28:22 am »
Well, posibly not. You aren't really given that much time to think when charged by a kobald swarm.
I give all of my players one round (15 seconds) to think of their action. or more if their int/con is high. evil hombrewed rule, I know.
We tend to play games pretty close to real-time, so players tend to be quick getting out what they want to do in any situation. For complex situations or ones that require more information, I'll give them a respite. But for basic combat, they're fast. I sometimes have a hard time keeping up with what everyone is doing; it gets pretty frantic and crazy, and by the end of it you actually feel your adrenaline going. Pretty visceral for a game of this nature.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2006, 09:26:20 am »
Paranoia is a great game for moving very quickly and developing a break-neck pace.  Players are meant to feel uncomfortable and confused so you don't have to feel too bad about it.  Quick sum-up for those who don't know: Paranoia (and its latest incarnation Paranoia XP) is a roleplaying game that parodies dark distopias like 1984, Logan's Run, Soylent Green, and Sesame Street.  There might be a lie hidden there.  Players play a series of clones that are constantly being blown up, vapourized, and mangled while trying to commit the same heinous acts on the other players.  Lots of zaniness.  Lots of fun.  I wouldn't recommend Paranoia for new gamers unless you know that it would fit with their sense of humour.  My fiancee, for one, absolutely loves it despite not being a serious gamer.  She's a big fan of wackiness, though, and that helps.  Good stuff.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2006, 11:22:10 am »
Paranoia is a great game for moving very quickly and developing a break-neck pace. Players are meant to feel uncomfortable and confused so you don't have to feel too bad about it. Quick sum-up for those who don't know: Paranoia (and its latest incarnation Paranoia XP) is a roleplaying game that parodies dark distopias like 1984, Logan's Run, Soylent Green, and Sesame Street. There might be a lie hidden there. Players play a series of clones that are constantly being blown up, vapourized, and mangled while trying to commit the same heinous acts on the other players. Lots of zaniness. Lots of fun. I wouldn't recommend Paranoia for new gamers unless you know that it would fit with their sense of humour. My fiancee, for one, absolutely loves it despite not being a serious gamer. She's a big fan of wackiness, though, and that helps. Good stuff.

I think we play games similar to that one on occasion. In fact, I can think of at least a few storylines that have reflected that sort of mentality. Whether we'd be interesting in adopting a formal RPG or not is the problem; I think we've moved on to a point where we're not interested unless it's one we've devised ourselves.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2006, 11:23:34 am »
Paranoia (and its latest incarnation Paranoia XP) is a roleplaying game that parodies dark distopias like 1984, Logan's Run, Soylent Green, and Sesame Street.  There might be a lie hidden there.

Of course! Eating people is fun!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2006, 11:30:49 am »
Paranoia (and its latest incarnation Paranoia XP) is a roleplaying game that parodies dark distopias like 1984, Logan's Run, Soylent Green, and Sesame Street. There might be a lie hidden there.

Of course! Eating people is fun!
Had games featuring that too. :)

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2006, 03:43:21 pm »
Most of the Evil campaigns I've been in have involved some good ole fashioned cannibalism.  I think gamers think, "Heck, I'm already evil, what's the deal if I eat some Steve?"  Bizarre.  Although I shouldn't speak because I instigate it.  We won't delve into that too deeply though...-leeman

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2006, 06:14:21 pm »
Damn, I wish I could play some RPGs with you guys! None of my friends really get into it when we play... so we just give up and play SSBM :(

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2006, 07:50:32 pm »
You could design an RPG from Smash Brothers.  Let's see, Link is totally a Ranger,  Dr. Mario is a Paladin and Jigglypuff is totally a Bard.  It's fool-proof! -leeman

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2006, 07:58:58 am »
Most of the Evil campaigns I've been in have involved some good ole fashioned cannibalism. I think gamers think, "Heck, I'm already evil, what's the deal if I eat some Steve?" Bizarre. Although I shouldn't speak because I instigate it. We won't delve into that too deeply though...-leeman

Yeah, but that's too easy. It's a lot more fun when you can get good people to eat folks. ;) That's the trick.