Author Topic: His Dark Materials. (Spoilers be here.)  (Read 12467 times)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: His Dark Materials. (Spoilers be here.)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 07:16:27 pm »
Greatest trilogy... ever? I'm inclined to disagree.

By no means is it a bad triad (which is rather painful to say), but it seems to ride upon the ideas it's trying to convey rather than the story. That's... somewhat crippling, when the storytelling supports the ideas in question. So to speak- Pullman isn't a bad author. Simply not the greatest storyteller- if he had conveyed his thesis in a treatise, I would've undoubtedly enjoyed it more. As a story, it doesn't evoke thought- it simply reminds us "yeah yeah question transcendence". There is no "why" and there is no "how". Just "do it kids".

But I'm a bitter, bitter doctor.

Sorry but I cannot trust any of your posts, simply because everything I've read from you so far is saying that "this or that sucks", is there something you actually liked? o_O
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Doctor Sun

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 09:55:16 pm »

By no means is it a bad triad (which is rather painful to say), but it seems to ride upon the ideas it's trying to convey rather than the story. That's... somewhat crippling, when the storytelling supports the ideas in question. So to speak- Pullman isn't a bad author. Simply not the greatest storyteller- if he had conveyed his thesis in a treatise, I would've undoubtedly enjoyed it more. As a story, it doesn't evoke thought- it simply reminds us "yeah yeah question transcendence". There is no "why" and there is no "how". Just "do it kids".

Sorry but I cannot trust any of your posts, simply because everything I've read from you so far is saying that "this or that sucks", is there something you actually liked? o_O

Well gee, pardon me for having an opinion.

Anyways. Yeah. Book-wise. Rings Trilogy, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth (until the end...), Fire and Ice, yeah.
"And now... I shall destroy the sun!"

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 12:18:06 am »

Well gee, pardon me for having an opinion.

Anyways. Yeah. Book-wise. Rings Trilogy, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth (until the end...), Fire and Ice, yeah.

There you go, Dragon. Extract your vengeance. ;)
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.