Poll

Which Poster held the best Debate? (please hold voting till debate has finished)

Poster 1
0 (0%)
Poster 2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Debate That! (If you can)  (Read 24573 times)

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
Re: Debate That! (If you can)
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2006, 03:40:36 pm »
So what's the deal? If I am supposed to pick who takes what side, I can, but I need to know. I'll probably flip a coin or something.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2006, 04:26:09 pm »
We shall await that flip on the edge of our seats.  ;)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2006, 04:50:51 pm »
I will be flipping the coin via this service. The coin toss to be used will be "March 17, 2006, 07:51 PM (US Eastern Time Zone)".

Vivec will be heads, Oviraptor will be tails. The winner will argue for, the loser against.

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2006, 04:52:54 pm »
The coin landed on tails, Oviraptor won. It is archived on that site and can be looked up for reference.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2006, 12:46:31 pm »
Ok, Sides have been picked Topic has been Picked, Ready set

Debate That!  ;D
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2006, 05:48:44 pm »
The coin landed on tails, Oviraptor won. It is archived on that site and can be looked up for reference.

So am I arguing that hamster fighting is bad? Or that it is good? (Not sure which you consider "for").

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2006, 08:24:01 pm »
Since pro means good I suppose Good. but the way she set it up, I think it might be against. Now I'm confused. I think the debate is over whether it should be stopped or not. And since you got pro, Your against it.

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2006, 09:22:03 pm »
An inspiring start to what looks to be shaping up to be a vigourous debate....

Spekaing of debating, I just came back from an all-day debating tourney (which we won).

If anyone knows what squirreling is, we did the BIGGEST case of it in the existence of the earth.
We were in the swing round, which meant we had to debate against university-level debaters (we being in year 9), and the topic was 'The war on terror needs to be fought'. We thought that we were screwed, so we decided to go out with style...

Find what happened next exciting episode.

-Understated elegance.

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2006, 10:52:15 pm »
The winner of the coin toss argues for hamster fighting, that means Oviraptor. The loser of the coin toss, against it, that being Vivec. Did my topic idea just suck, or is interest in the idea as a whole simply faltering? I hope I didn't sink the ship.

And congrats Tonjevic :)

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2006, 02:13:23 am »
And congrats Tonjevic :)

Thanks. :)

Now, because I am too lazy to do an in-depth recount of the line that we took, I will approximately restate the case.

We essentially said that the real terrorists in the world today are these people in the west who are condoning the wonton slaughter of innocent people, destruction of infrastructure, territorial invasion and acquisition of mineral resources that the US regime and the coallition of the willing perpetrated upon the middle east (especially Iraq and Afghanistan). We said that the only real way we can combat this terrorism and get these tyrants, who cunningly use media blankets and devious means to trick the people of the world into believing they are a force for good, out of power is to take away thier support base. The people who voted for the likes of Bush, Blair, Howard and any other members of the coalition governments must be eliminated.

We proposed the bombing and obliteration of these countries. Using the help of this so called Axis of Alliance (taking potshots at the propagandist names for everything) - the countries that take it upon themselves to rid the world of the tyrranical west. especially Russia (they have nukes) - we seek to depose the west. Short term loss for Long term gain.

Another thing we hoped to combat was the population problem in the world. By wiping out a large proportion of the population (up to 500 million in a good situation). We can free up resources and arable land that would ave otherwise been squandered in the fat, opulent west, and use it to feed the starving millions in Africa.

That was basically it, although its presentation and grounding, it's logival progression and its human inflection made it much better in the actual debate. Plus I can't remember it all.

-Understated elegance.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2006, 08:19:03 am »
The winner of the coin toss argues for hamster fighting, that means Oviraptor. The loser of the coin toss, against it, that being Vivec. Did my topic idea just suck, or is interest in the idea as a whole simply faltering? I hope I didn't sink the ship.

You're idea is fine, only I recommend next time (to whoever may win in the future) to put the names directly next to the side they are, so there is no confusion.

I'll have to think about something to say now...

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2006, 01:06:48 pm »
Eigther of You guys can start whenever you're ready. Just saying so you know.

Offline MrFrenik

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2006, 02:58:35 pm »
I'm impressed with this thread, so I'm going to mark it as a favorite.  :)
*insert something deep*

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2006, 04:40:21 pm »

Sorry, I have been busy and don't have much time, but next week I have off, so I have plenty of time then.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2006, 06:22:50 pm »

Sorry, I have been busy and don't have much time, but next week I have off, so I have plenty of time then.

Maybe we should have another debate before ours, then.

I like you as an opponent, and I like this topic, and I like the sides, though... so maybe sgore could think of a new topic.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.