Author Topic: Creature: Gruebat (Not sketches. Four images, 639 KB)  (Read 3691 times)

Offline SL

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Creature: Gruebat (Not sketches. Four images, 639 KB)
« on: March 12, 2006, 02:14:16 pm »
Let me know if y'all like these:

The gruebat is a distant relative of the grue, that deadly light-fearing predator of the world of Zork. The gruebat is a nocturnal predator which flies through the sky searching for small prey. (The gruebat is roughly comparable in size to Morrowind's cliff racers)

Weapons:
The gruebat's primary weapon is its semi-flexible tail, which has a sharp beak-like keratin lining on the sides (allowing it to be used for slicing prey, much like a sword). The tail's muscles can act like a spring to rapidly swish the tail from one side to the other. The gruebat's "beak" is a sharp spike which may be used for stabbing prey. Although the beak resembles that of real-world birds, it doesn't open like birds' beaks do. The gruebat's real mouth, which is generally not used as a weapon, is on the underside of the body, between four three-fingered claws. The claws are also usually not used as weapons, and are more for gripping and perching.

The gruebat is capable of flying upside-down, and may fly in loops while fighting enemies.

Brain: The gruebat's brain is located between the eyes and the mouth.

Sensory organs:
The gruebat has two eyes on the bottom of its "head," and one additional eye on top. The eyes mainly look for infrared, using it to locate prey.

In addition to its eyes, the gruebat also uses echolocation, especially for aiming attacks with its tail (where the eyes can't see). The gruebat's "ears" (not shown) are located at the base of the tail (where it meets the body), on the top and bottom of the tail, with an "A b A" layout, where A is an ear and b is a nose (which emits the echolocation pulse).

Prey and hunting:
The gruebat is a solitary hunter, whose main diet is small to medium sized animals (Sized from mice to foxes). Although it is mainly nocturnal, it is capable of operating during the daylight, and will do so if sufficiently hungry. However, during the day, it can't see as well, and will actually fly around with its eyes closed, squinting from time to time just to make sure it isn't about to fly into anything (its echolocation is only useable towards the bottom and back, not the front). In the daytime, it relies mainly on echolocation to find potential prey, but will take a quick peek if it hears anything promising.

Alternate and later evolutions:
This gruebat is depicted as having a sharp lining on the sides of its tail, and swinging the tail from side to side. The acrobatics required to attack opponents like this are more complicated than what would be required if the sharp lining was instead on the top and bottom of the tail - But I'd like to try both to see how Spore handles it. The sideways variety may evolve the ability to twist the tail, or it may evolve into the vertical variety instead. Who knows!

Later evolutions may evolve the claws into actual legs and arms, and may lose the ability to fly. Those later evolutions would likely still use the tail as a weapon, by spinning around to slice at prey with it.

Offline RaptorJedi

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Adorkable
    • View Profile
Re: Creature: Gruebat (Not sketches. Four images, 639 KB)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 02:38:40 pm »
Haha, so this is what you were drawing. You and your Grues SL. I like it though.

Offline LONE GUNNER3

• Intellivision Junkie
  • I WILL RULE ALL.as soon as I get Spore that is .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 03:05:39 pm »
Lol thats not a way to get a-head in life  :D.That give me a Question :-\.Will there be new creatures coming out at night?Never realy thought of what it might be like playing at night (sends shivers of excitement down my spine).
MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA one day l shall RULE the galaxy.And that day will be when Spore comes out :p

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rpg_man/Untitled-1.png

Offline Varsity

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 08:06:11 pm »
XYZZY!
XYZZY!

Offline SL

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile

Offline Megagun

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • And the moose comes in the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 06:17:29 am »
Those are absolutely awesome images..... :P

Now the only thing I'm wondering, though: will the rats evolve themselves lightbulbs on their backs? Or will they start using torches?

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 07:03:44 am »
I find your drawings quite good, very bloody, though :P
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.