Author Topic: My new creature - Vizeara  (Read 15124 times)

Offline Spore2DaMax

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
My new creature - Vizeara
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:34:49 am »
   Pronounced vI-z-eer-a.

This is the species that I am planning to create upon the release of Spore. I will update this thread as I draw more concept images. As you can see, the Vizeara are close relatives to dragons, but they are very different in many ways. I will elaborate further as I draw more, but until then, this is my first sketch of a Vizeara. This Vizeara is male...males have many large horns, while females are usually slightly bigger than males, with fewer, smaller horns and have larger wings in proportion to their body.

To be continued..... :D

Updated...Heres a color version (done in MS Paint!):

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 08:16:56 am by Spore2DaMax »

Quote from: Samog
Spore2DaMax, for your incredible threadjack, I dub thee R. Spore2DaMax, second in rank only to those in the Most Holy Order of Freud.

Offline Raukodur

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
Re: My new creature - Vizeara
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 06:40:14 am »
hopefully spore will not be allowing us to make creatures which defy the laws of physics.

For a creature as big as that you would need huge wings.

Im not saying that you wont be able to make huge wings, just that with the proportions shown in the diagram those wings would jusut be for show, or maybe heat loss like elephants ears.

Offline Spore2DaMax

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 06:42:33 am »
 Did I ever say it could fly?  ;)

Heat loss IS one of the uses for the wings...but there are others...you will see in time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 06:48:47 am by Spore2DaMax »
Spore2DaMax, for your incredible threadjack, I dub thee R. Spore2DaMax, second in rank only to those in the Most Holy Order of Freud.

Offline Raukodur

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 07:03:46 am »
just to clarify, i want critisizing in any way, i will probably be making sort sort of dragon myself at some time, and thats not a bad prelim drawing, i just wanted to point out about the wings.

Personally think big wings look better anyway, much more impressive, like the male dragon in Reign of Fire (**** movie, but worth it if only to see a CGI dragon done well)

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 07:16:50 am »
just to clarify, i want critisizing in any way, i will probably be making sort sort of dragon myself at some time, and thats not a bad prelim drawing, i just wanted to point out about the wings.

Personally think big wings look better anyway, much more impressive, like the male dragon in Reign of Fire (**** movie, but worth it if only to see a CGI dragon done well)

Well if you're starting to talk about 'realism', then it's not only physics you have to take account of. It's also the size= energyx2 equation that matters. For a creature as big as that it would take massive amounts of energy to fly, even if it has bigger wings(especially when it has bigger wings), making it still impossible to be able to fly without dieing of overexhaustion.

Personal art galleries:

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 07:23:31 am »

Well if you're starting to talk about 'realism', then it's not only physics you have to take account of. It's also the size= energyx2 equation that matters. For a creature as big as that it would take massive amounts of energy to fly, even if it has bigger wings(especially when it has bigger wings), making it still impossible to be able to fly without dieing of overexhaustion.

Only if the creature dosn't eat enough.
Besides, there are ways around it, like gas sacks, which would also act as fule for fire.
And not to mention that theese are aliens, they could have a way of getting energy alot easier, and theyre food could be very high energy.

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 07:26:42 am »

Only if the creature dosn't eat enough.
Besides, there are ways around it, like gas sacks, which would also act as fule for fire.
And not to mention that theese are aliens, they could have a way of getting energy alot easier, and theyre food could be very high energy.

If you're talking about things like that being possible I would say it could just as well fly with the wings he has now. So just let it be I guess.

Personal art galleries:

Offline Spore2DaMax

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 07:30:13 am »
Since the 'flight' issue seems to be confusing people I'm drawing a sketch right this moment to clarify exactly how the wings are used...  ::)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 07:54:11 am »
It looks like Spore will be overrun with dragons.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Spore2DaMax

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 08:31:54 am »

Here is a male Vizeara in it's native habitat - the rainforest. The Vizeara are omnivorous, but prefer fruit to meat. Note that the teeth at the back of the mouth are designed for grinding fruit, while the front teeth are for catching prey. The Vizeara get their fruit from the emergents, about 300ft high. Theses emergents are very strong, and the Vizeara spread their weight out by using their limbs and tail to grab onto all nearby branches. Sometimes, they fail and fall, but the canopy below acts as a safety net, and they easily grab onto the trees below before hitting the ground. The wings are important when travelling to remote trees. The Vizeara use their very strong legs to propel themselves into the air. Then they open their wings for a few seconds, slowing their fall slightly. This gives them enough force to reach the destination.

Once on the fruit tree, they rip the fruit off with their claws and powerful jaws, dropping them. They act as a team, and there are several Vizeara below, ready to retrieve the fruit. The fruit is very high in sugar and nutrients, giving them the energy needed to survive in the harsh environment. When not in use, the wings can fold against the back, almost invisible apart from the odd spike. This act of jumping from trees high above the rainforest is only performed during the colder seasons, when energy is critical for survival. The distance jumped is usually only around 10 meters at the most, and only the most experienced Vizeara are allowed to do this.

The wings also are used for intimidating predators, losing or gaining heat when necessary and of course, attracting partners. The wings are never used for flight, as they are far too small and flight isn't necessary, and would probably hinder them in such dense shrubbery. 

I hope that answers all questions, but knowing these forums, it will probably create more questions than it answered, so I have my pen at the ready to do more sketches if necessary  ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 10:30:47 am by Spore2DaMax »

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 08:48:32 am »
So, like flying squirrils?

Offline Spore2DaMax

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 09:03:04 am »
So, like flying squirrils?
Exactly  ;D

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 09:08:03 am »
What a huge squirrel  :o
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline Spore2DaMax

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 12:57:11 pm »

Every species needs an army of some kind..and the Vizeara have their elite assassins. The Vizeara do not embrace war, so they use a league of deadly assassins to carry out murders without any detection. This efficient methos makes Vizeara a formidable enemy, and few conflicts escalate into war, as the head enemies of Vizeara mysteriously die before they can attack.

They use organic materials collected from the rainforest, such as feathers, leather and spider silk to craft very versatile equipment. The Vizeara commonly use poisons collected from specific plants deep in the jungle. These are usually neurotoxins, which cause paralysis and kill incredibly quickly. Thorns are taken from shrubs and attached to their bodies, each thorn tipped with poison. An assassin will also carry a scimitar-like talon from the large birds that live high in the canopy. Very strong and flexible spider silk is woven together to link the equipment together. Also, on the Vizeara's back is a dart pouch, with a dart shoot. These are used to kill from a distance, silently and almost undetectable. The wings are folded up, so they do not attract any unwanted attention.

Theses assassins are few and shrouded by secrecy, as the Vizeara do not accept violence unless absolutely necessary. Reasons for such measures as assassination are usually crusades, as the Vizeara are very religious...which I will go into later. If caught, an assassin will make the ultimate sacrifice for it's species, and it will inject itself with the poisonous barbs. However, such occurrences are very rare, and they are the silent protectors of an otherwise peaceful species.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 10:32:32 am by Spore2DaMax »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 01:37:42 pm »
I notice they are satanists. Is that their religion or did you add the pentagrams to make them look more arcane?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.