Author Topic: Xbox 360... or the Playstation 3?  (Read 5230 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Xbox 360... or the Playstation 3?
« on: April 16, 2005, 03:47:43 pm »
I, as you all know, am a PC man - i like PC games, generally dislike consoles and am even extremely pessimistic about most PC games.  However, one game which i did love was Halo - and although yeah you can get it on the PC, you cannot get Halo 2... yet.  The Xbox has other such games which also potentially take my fancy, and which i would play often.

When i was very young i used to love consoles - my SEGAs, my Playstation 1, my Dreamcast... but i never really got into all the PS2 malarky.  I would buy an Xbox - simply because it has a number of games which i would buy and play extensively on it, however what's the point with the Xbox 360 coming up in the next 2 years or so?  Maybe earlier. 

I was wondering what people's opinions were.  If i was to buy my first console for years, which one does one recommend?  And why?  Cheers everyone.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: Xbox 360... or the Playstation 3?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 05:07:13 pm »
My vote goes for PS3 but as a Mac user, I'm always somewhat hesitant to support Microsoft.  I've enjoyed my xbox but PS1 and 2 have just supported some of my favourite series: the Metal Gears, the Onimushas, the Dynasty Warriors, etc.  It'll be interesting to see if these titles stick with the Playstation.  We'll see but right now, the only thing interesting me in the Xbox 360 is Spore. -leeman

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 02:41:57 am »
That's true, but personally i still prefer the Xbox, and it's games.  They seem much more PC oriented (duh!), which is what i like.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 03:24:15 pm »
I'm not much of a console man myself, Janos, and I probably won't get any of the new ones until they've had time to find their niche. Still, if the XBox 360 really will be backwards-compatible, then I'd recommend buying that instead of an XBox. You'll be able to play all the games that interest you (most likely at lower prices, too) and be able to look forward to sequels and such. ;)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Omnitron

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Paragon City Resident
    • View Profile
    • Central Nexus
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 08:44:24 am »
I like the xbox, BUT not having backward compatibility is a big negative.  I'll be waiting to see IF they give it that capability in the add on peripherals, and what the total cost is, and if there is anything game wise that REALLY makes me want to get it.   Halo and Crimson Skies were the first that made me move toward it. 

I'm just not going to rush out for it.  Not after having my first Xbox die after only 13 months of use.  Come ON! I've still got a working Saturn for crying out loud...

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 11:14:55 am »
I may get one of the 'next gen' consoles after the price drops to about $200... Probably the playstation 3, because truthfully, there hasn't been a game I have enjoyed on the X-Box... "Whoo! We have first person shooters and... uh... SPORTS GAMES!! SUPERBOWL 2005!!!! WHOO!!!!!" ;D
mmm... MGS3 :D
Not that I'm saying that X-box is bad like so many fan-boys, I'm just saying that most of the games that come out on the x-box, even though it has more power, just don't appeal to me as much as some ps2 games. ;)
"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 01:51:15 pm »
what I find funny is, whenever I ask XBox users why they like it over the PS2 they say it has better graphics... well the PS3 is expected to have better graphics than the XBox 360.  the attempt by microsoft to debut their console earlier only makes it seem like they're afraid to release it the same time as PS3 because they know where the press would rather be...

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 06:48:44 am »
Well I will most likely get a Revolution, but if I were choose between a PS3 and a Xbox 360 I would probably go with the PS3.  More power and most likely backwards compatable (lots of previous PS games I never got to play).

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 08:48:52 am »
I LOVE the Final Fantasy series. And I have begun to notice a pattern:

NES: 1-3 (Nintendo)
SNES: 4-6 (Nintendo)

PS1: 7-9 (Sony)
PS2: 10-12 (Sony)

[From here on is a prediction]

XBox 360: 13-15 (Microsoft)
XBox[3]: 16-18 (Microsoft)

[?]: 19-21 (?)
[?][2]: 22-24 (?)

Well? Seem like anything plausible?

Anyway, the XBox 360 gets my vote.
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 04:19:39 pm »
I'm pretty sure the Final Fantasy series will continue to be on Sony's console.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 04:23:04 pm »
Depends on the games but I think PS3.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 01:23:51 pm »
I'm pretty sure the Final Fantasy series will continue to be on Sony's console.
I agree that it is probable Square Enix will keep making them for Sony's consoles, but I was just pointing out the fact that a pattern MIGHT be forming.
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 02:18:52 pm »
I suppose it depends on which country's games you like more.  the Playstation has always been home to the never-ending flow of Japanese games.  If you find Japanese games tantalizing, I'd go for a PS3.  However, most American and European developers realize the money in making multiple ports (in time, of course).  Therefore, if you are a fan of American made games (specifically PC ports and FPS shooters), then the XBox 360 would be a good choice.

All in all, though, you're going to miss out on some games, period, unless you have ALL of the consoles.  I bought a Gamecube specifically for those off-the-wall games that are made for nintendo (and Mario Kart, baby!).  If you are a PC fan, then it's a toss up... you'can have PC and PS3 and miss very few exclusives.  If you want to rely more on your consoles, I guess the XBox 360 would be a good selection (as a "replacement" for your PC).

Me, I started with an NES, then went SNES, PC (and have been upgrading ever since), PS1, PS2, XBOX, GAMECUBE.  I won't buy any of the new consoles until they're at their rock-bottom price, because the best games ever made have been made for the PC.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 08:48:52 pm »
As long as the XBox isn't as popular in Asia as the Playstation, it won't get as many big names to develop exclusively for them (unless it's an existing PC game).

Offline Captain Bones

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • The Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • a r t i s t a d a m . c o m
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 08:32:31 pm »
i will most definately get the PS3... i try not to support microsnot in any form... i'm a mac guy :D...

and besides, the PS3 seems like the much better system...