Author Topic: Independant Developers  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Quanrian

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Independant Developers
« on: March 12, 2006, 01:55:06 am »
Ok, so about the only thing I'd love to see on your site is a look into this unique scene. Seems like no one cares about Indy Developers until it's someone from a large company with an already established career in developing games. It'd be nice to find out about these games and developers before they go commercial and start selling their ideas down the river. Indy is the true underground of game development and because of such it gets no notice, even when the concepts that come from the Indy scene can be truely brilliant. That's about as much of a justification as I can think up and I'm not really sure there is any kind of target audience for this. Any opinions on this from anyone, feel free to share.

Eat the game before it devours your life !

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
Re: Independant Developers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 04:57:08 am »
Hell yeah, Indie Developers ftw, because they are the guys who don't do it necissarily for they money, they do it because they love it!

(I make games myself too, Flash games nonetheless, but Flash is very powerful)

Personal art galleries:

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 05:51:01 am »
Hey Quanrian! Memories of Mark, eh?
It's always good to pay tribute to the man that used to be our god.
Personally, I love indy games in all thier forms (which are varied, colourful, and quite often, exciting.) and there are so many unrecognised gems out there that just need discovery.

-Understated elegance.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 04:34:56 pm »
This is an article I read recently by Jeff Vogel:

"Hard Truths About the Next Big Thing

One of the inspirational things about writing about computer games is that, if you really get stuck for an article, you can just complain about how uncreative they are. What? More shooters? More sequels? Curse those corporate whores for denying us the completely new, innovative games they should be providing!

I might humbly point out that this is simply a sign of the growing maturity of the art of game design. I mean, seriously. When was there last a truly new book that wasn't reminiscent of something that came before? Or play? Or movie?

Whenever I read one of these articles, I usually find that the writer presents one ray of hope, one bold knight who will struggle to invent the new genres that will totally rock us - the Indie Game Developer.

Well, speaking as an Indie Game Developer, I have this to say... Don't look at us, man.

Supposedly, as I understand it, we are free. We don't have The Man keeping us down and rejecting our ideas and forcing us to spend 80 hours a week programming the new shading engine for Doom 4. We got nothin' to lose, so we can just be creative.

Sure."

read the rest here: http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/692/692642p1.html

Just scroll down a little.

I like independent games a lot, but the guy makes a lot of valid points.

Offline Amasius

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 06:13:05 pm »
Good old Jeff Vogel. This man makes his living with sharewaregames for 12 years now. He knows what he is talking about.  :)
Burn down the Disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that they constantly play.
It Says nothing to me about my life. Hang the blessed DJ. (The Smiths)

Offline Quanrian

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 11:18:30 pm »
Hey Quanrian! Memories of Mark, eh?
It's always good to pay tribute to the man that used to be our god.
Personally, I love indy games in all thier forms (which are varied, colourful, and quite often, exciting.) and there are so many unrecognised gems out there that just need discovery.

He was never my god as I was already developing Notrium before he even started Ragdoll Kungfu. It was just a little annoying that suddenly they made a big deal and that everyone else wasn't worth crap, when there is a whole bunch of really great Indy Developers out there that no one knows about because they don't come from big companies. I'm not bashing Mark though, he did a great job, I just found it annoying.

I think the game did ok to start and than seemed to drop off the radar. I don't really hear anyone fussing about it now, it was a here and gone thing. The fact it got tied into Steam did as I suspected, kill a good deal of its momentum. I still haven't seen any updates for it since like October of last year lol. Making the online multiplayer unplayable for a huge chunk of people seemed to really axe it. So sure Mark was Indy, but he had some real heavy hitters in his corner. He is not really representative of the real underground Indy, where these guys are on their own without any big name's help or support.

Everyone has their opinions though, and Indy has its place as does everything else. You wont likely get high end graphics with Indy games or top of the line physics because those engines cost big $$$'s. So a lot of Indy could easily be passed up because it's not the shiny bauble that commercial games are. Gameplay of course is essential, but if the graphics don't appeal at least on some level to the user they wont get past the "this game is ugly" mentality. I take Jeff Vogel's opinion the same as anyone else's, with a grain of salt as I expect mine to be. You reach a point, which he certainly has that you can simply sell games based on 'who' you are, regardless of the quality, your name is going to hold the real weight. Look at how people aimlessly snatch up everything from Square or Capcom, simply because it has their name on it.
Eat the game before it devours your life !