Author Topic: Creature Artwork Drawing Techniques...?  (Read 5651 times)

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
Creature Artwork Drawing Techniques...?
« on: March 11, 2006, 10:28:42 am »
I've been looking at the stunning Naucean pictures (I can never get enough of them), and I'm wondering, what drawing techniques are used to draw creatures?

I've tried drawing a few times, but it never turns out that good. I can do things in general detail, but if it comes down to the limbs, hands, head, etc., it doesn't come out right.

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Artwork Drawing Techniques...?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 10:59:20 am »
Practice.

And anatomy studies of real life.

Stat.

Personal art galleries:

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 01:10:17 pm »
*Mangerman immediately starts practicing to raise his drawing skill*
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline Cousarr

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • URF Online
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 01:37:37 pm »
+1 ring of drawing, doesn't everyone have one?

I pretty much suck at drawing anything organic, but for some strange reason I'm decent at 3d modelling. If you can't draw, give Wings 3D a try.

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 01:44:16 pm »
+1 ring of drawing, doesn't everyone have one?

I pretty much suck at drawing anything organic, but for some strange reason I'm decent at 3d modelling. If you can't draw, give Wings 3D a try.

To be honest, that's an extremely bad way to start. Good 3D modelling requires good basic drawing skills on defining and understanding form and perfect anatomy.
And to be very honest with you, your anatomy sucks, really, go practice drawing anatomy and then get back to 3d modelling. And buy some clay.

Personal art galleries:

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 04:39:20 am »
You are so honest to people :P
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 05:03:24 am »
I've been trying to learn basic anatomy to make my creatures look more real.
But you also haveto remember that theese are aliens, and they don't have to obide to our anatomy.

The few things i've found out that might help:

Arms or legs, when bent, theres a line that goes further in, it usually follows the bigger muscle. So, make sure the arms dont just curve.

Wings, bird or bat, are just hands with looooooong fingers. (seehttp://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2861.0) Draw the fingers coming from a central point, the hand, then draw flaps of skin, and start adding detail, making sure everything bends and distorts to match the finger positions.

Refer to pictures of real creatures or even your own arms and fingers when drawing to make it look more real.

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 07:54:06 am »
Anatomy is important, yes, but considering Spore creatures function on whimsical imperfect anatomy, I don't think its very critical. The only thing you really need is proportion, as it can throw off most any picture if you're trying to do your creature from an angle that isn't straight on, or from the side, and its body is all wrong because it isn't aligned properly to itself.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 09:23:08 am »
OK, how the hell do you use wings? :D

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 09:39:17 am »
OK, how the hell do you use wings? :D

you flap them :P
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 09:55:40 am »
lol. I meeeeeeent the program.

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 10:28:43 am »
I would like to see some of the tips and tricks posted in here, actually. What i have seen so far has been GREAT, especially from Hydro. I think it would be good if more people started utilising the 1337 skills of the more experienced artists and more great work was made (hopefully by E3 so the community presence is large there). Come on MadGiraffe, Hydromancerx and Dake and anybody else who has been doing nice work, teach us!

-Understated elegance.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 10:32:56 am »
How can you *teach* art?

The only way I can think of showing people how to draw is using shapes, but I don't actually use them anyway.
Actually, no creature i've put up so far was actually pre-planned. They're just things that came out of my mind as I drew.

If you have an idea of what you want to create, like, bare bones of it - the type of creature it is, and anything special about it, then start drawing with that in mind.
Rub out anything you don't like and re-do it.
Keep going till your happy.
Practice often, you can only get better.

Offline Shivore

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 10:56:00 am »
I am an art student in college, currently taking Drawing 102. I'm not very good really, but maybe I can offer some help.

Most of all Pre-visualize. Know exactly what the creature will look like, and what pose it will be in before you make a single-mark.

Draw lightly. Not only will it be easier to erase if needed, but it will keep you from feeling too locked into a particular line. Let the drawing evolve freely as you draw, let it come naturally. Don't fret over one area, but work over the entire creature, then go in and refine areas that aren't quite right. Let most of the movement come from your arm, maybe try standing while drawing. You shouldn't have to move your fingers very much at all, unless you're doing fine detail work or shading.
"Ignorance can be fixed, Stupid is forever."

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 11:15:01 am »
You may not be able to teach art, but you can certainly teach drawing. Anybody can learn to draw, it's not a gene that only a few people have. It's like learning music, some people naturally have a good ear, whereas those who don't need to work a little harder.

Keys to Drawing is a great book for beginners. It covers the basics of anatomy, perspective, light and shadows. It focuses on life drawing and that's a key to learning. And I hate to say it, but the best way to learn how to draw is to bust out a sketchbook and start drawing what's in front of you.

I'd also like to recommend Drawing Human Anatomy. It is the best human anatomy book currently available, in my opinion.

I believe it was Mad Giraffe that posted this art tutoria a while back. l'm not a fan of online tutorials, but this one is quite good and worth printing to use as a quick reference.

Offline Cousarr

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
    • URF Online
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 12:06:10 pm »
As for wings 3d, the best thing you can do to start yourself off is treat your primitive exaclty like clay. Just play around with all the different options, seeing what tools do what. For your first couple objects it doesn't matter if all you create is a giant amorphous blob. Be careful when working this way hoewever, if you create something geometrically impossible, undo your last step and do something different; otherwise, you'll get into bad habits when working on larger projects. If you'd like a more scientific approach, you can always read the manual. Once you've got a good basic idea on how the tools work check out puzzled paul's tutorials. From there, just create whatever comes to mind, work at it enough and you'll be able to make some pretty cool stuff.