Author Topic: subterranean creatures?  (Read 2367 times)

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
subterranean creatures?
« on: March 23, 2006, 09:42:15 pm »

Look at the bottom right pic.  This is just a concept so it's not likely indicative of anything, but it brings up a cool question.

Something that has not yet been successfully done in games:

Can you make a subterranean species?

From a game design viewpoint.  This isn't hard.  All that's needed is for the game world to extend down in the same way that it extends up to the sky, but putting automatic barriers that line up with the ground

From a realism viewpoint.  There are loads of subterranean creatures (most very small and very close to the surface) including moles and ants as the best examples.  Examples like bats living in caves doesn't count, since they're not "underground" they're in tunnels naturally formed but need to move in open space and need to exit that cave.  Sci-fi and fantasy are also littered with subterranean creatures (Morlocks being one of the earliest examples, if we're not to count Vernes' "Journey to the Center of the Earth", and Sandworms from Dune being one of the most common examples.)

Can we make a subterranean creature?  And better yet, can we make a subterranean intelligent culture?

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
Re: subterranean creatures?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 09:44:33 pm »

Look at the bottom right pic.  This is just a concept so it's not likely indicative of anything, but it brings up a cool question.

Something that has not yet been successfully done in games:

Can you make a subterranean species?

From a game design viewpoint.  This isn't hard.  All that's needed is for the game world to extend down in the same way that it extends up to the sky, but putting automatic barriers that line up with the ground

From a realism viewpoint.  There are loads of subterranean creatures (most very small and very close to the surface) including moles and ants as the best examples.  Examples like bats living in caves doesn't count, since they're not "underground" they're in tunnels naturally formed but need to move in open space and need to exit that cave.  Sci-fi and fantasy are also littered with subterranean creatures (Morlocks being one of the earliest examples, if we're not to count Vernes' "Journey to the Center of the Earth", and Sandworms from Dune being one of the most common examples.)

Can we make a subterranean creature?  And better yet, can we make a subterranean intelligent culture?

It would be cool, but how would it actually be displayed?   The camera angle makes it hard to imagine having your creature "inside" anything you know.  But considering we have subterranean creature concepts on sporewiki, I hope we guessed right.
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 09:50:30 pm »
consider the translucency of water...  make the "underground cam" a little less translucent, change the lighting to brown, and mark all tunnels as a dark grey  :)  But the camera can only switch to "underground cam" when you have a creature that has gone underground.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 09:51:46 pm »
wire frame or sound sense

or the sight sense of the creatures from pitch black, sort of sight pressure sense

or terra view with density differences portraied as color and static with range

"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 08:52:07 am »
I think it would make a great add on but I remember hearing that there will be no underground creatures and unless that changed a while back I would rather see the game with only land/sea/air creatures and not add on another layer of complexity to the system.  Not for an expansion.....
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 02:52:36 pm »
I was wondering about that too when my little 5 (6 now) year old cousin was here the other day drawing fake animals (she loves watching Animal Planet), and two were methane-propelled moles (don't ask).

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 03:16:00 pm »
I was wondering about that too when my little 5 (6 now) year old cousin was here the other day drawing fake animals (she loves watching Animal Planet), and two were methane-propelled moles (don't ask).

Sounds like somthing i would coem up with :P

Offline Henqix

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 03:19:46 pm »

Sounds like somthing i would coem up with :P

OMG! Hydromancerx is vbGamers 6 year old cousin. :o