Poll

Do you want to have Spore translated into your own language? Note: you can vote for 2 options, too...

My native language is English, so....
Yes, I do! (My native language isn't English)
No, I don't! (My native language isn't English)
Make localizations optional, so people can choose whether they want to play using their native language or not..

Author Topic: Localizing Spore: Yay or Nay?  (Read 8864 times)

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Localizing Spore: Yay or Nay?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2006, 12:08:08 pm »
Okay, i'm French (sorry if i make errors) and i think this game _must_ be localized. Of course it depend of the game, by example, i can't imagine a GTA with French voices, yerk >_<
But in the case of Spore, it's different, there is not immersion nescessary, and personnaly, i think there is no voices too. So, if it's just text, why not localizing Spore ?
Saying "Because i'm english <_<" is a bit egoist, there is non english speakers in the world, so when i see 59% who don't really have an opinion, it's a bit afflicting (?), i know the first answer of the poll don't imply the fact that 59% _don't want_ localization, and i think about this than the poll is not really clear.
Localization is important for me, do you imagine yourselves playing an turkish game ? :P
No ?
Okay okay, i'm exaggerating, lots of people speak english as they native language, i surrender, vote as you want :-

But your English isn't bad, so maybe you could also play it in English ;)
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2006, 08:02:24 pm »
You're english is damn fine!  I speak 3 languages but #2 and #3 are very very basic.  It's tough picking up a second language.

I think that those of us who want the choice won't have anything to worry about.  Someone just mentioned the Sims was available in multiple languages, so was Simcity.  EA (or Maxis) are pretty good about that.  :)

I just want Spore, and don't want to have to pay upwards of 80 bucks (and possibly a one month longer wait) for it...

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2006, 11:38:24 pm »
I'm currently in Thailand now and at least they have the options here for a Thai version of a game and an English version of the game. The Thai version of the Sims seems to be ok because its only the text thats been translated, so they can still read it.  I'm not sure about voicing though, if its subtitled or actual voiced?  I am for localization for different countries, however, i'm native english speaker so i guess it won't affect me much (i'm australian)
Under construction

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 05:34:01 am »
Dude!  Thai horror rocks!  Only seen two actually, so I shouldn't make a blanket statement (Shutter and The Eye {thai directors via hongkong cinema})

I'm in South Korea, and when I first came here, nearly every game except the asian made games were available in English only, but in the time Ive been here, companies have been recognizing that Korea is a gaming powerhouse and over the last couple years EVERYTHING is in Korean.  EA and a couple others ship english options but most games are straight Korean.  The only way for me to get English is to ask a store to import it for me (costing much extra bucks and a lot of travel time since most places won't import).  If I'm lucky, they'll have the game straight away but that's only if it's a serious blockbuster already in Korea (WoW) or banned (GTA:SA)

Offline carcajou

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 01:13:40 pm »
localizing? why not, if it open markets to others who would otherwise not play
Some guys do a great job at it, for example Alchemic Dreams, doing German and French versions of ATITD, D&L, SL, D&D Online... as well as the new Seed which is now in beta stage I think.