Author Topic: Record For Hottest Temperature on Earth Acheived.  (Read 15920 times)

Offline Greg16

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Record For Hottest Temperature on Earth Acheived.
« on: March 08, 2006, 11:55:18 pm »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11732814/

Scientists have produced superheated gas exceeding temperatures of 2 billion degrees Kelvin, or 3.6 billion degrees Fahrenheit.

This is hotter than the interior of our sun, which is about 15 million degrees Kelvin, and also hotter than any previous temperature ever achieved on Earth, they say.

They don't know how they did it.

In Depth
The feat was accomplished in the Z machine at Sandia National Laboratories.

"At first, we were disbelieving," said project leader Chris Deeney. "We repeated the experiment many times to make sure we had a true result."

Thermonuclear explosions are estimated to reach only tens to hundreds of millions of degrees Kelvin; other nuclear fusion experiments have achieved temperatures of about 500 million degrees Kelvin, said a spokesperson at the lab.

The achievement was detailed in the Feb. 24 issue of the journal Physical Review Letters.

The Z machine is the largest X-ray generator in the world. It’s designed to test materials under extreme temperatures and pressures. It works by releasing 20 million amps of electricity into a vertical array of very fine tungsten wires. The wires dissolve into a cloud of charged particles, a superheated gas called plasma.

A very strong magnetic field compresses the plasma into the thickness of a pencil lead. This causes the plasma to release energy in the form of X-rays, but the X-rays are usually only several million degrees.

Sandia researchers still aren’t sure how the machine achieved the new record. Part of it is probably due to the replacement of the tungsten steel wires with slightly thicker steel wires, which allow the plasma ions to travel faster and thus achieve higher temperatures.

One thing that puzzles scientists is that the high temperature was achieved after the plasma’s ions should have been losing energy and cooling. Also, when the high temperature was achieved, the Z machine was releasing more energy than was originally put in, something that usually occurs only in nuclear reactions.

Sandia consultant Malcolm Haines theorizes that some unknown energy source is involved, which is providing the machine with an extra jolt of energy just as the plasma ions are beginning to slow down.

Sandia National Laboratories is located by Albuquerque New Mexico and is part of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).

© 2006 LiveScience.com. All rights reserved.
 :o
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 11:57:54 pm by Greg16 »

Will Wright, the original.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
Re: Record For Hottest Temperature on Earth Acheived.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 11:59:07 pm »
just imagine if when testing new temperatures, the machine breaks down and the elecromagnetic current fails and then the earth will be toasted!
why do they have to test such things? :)
Under construction

Offline Zorlac

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Sporewiki
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 12:01:33 am »
So the machine uses more energy than was inputed. So technicly it generated energy somehow, sounds pretty cool becuase maybe it'll prove to be a new source of power or something :)

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 12:02:55 am »
could be plasma energy or gamma particles (we could make a Hulk)..haha
Under construction

Offline Greg16

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 12:13:11 am »
So the machine uses more energy than was inputed. So technicly it generated energy somehow, sounds pretty cool becuase maybe it'll prove to be a new source of power or something :)

Power at temperatures of above 3.6 billion degrees fahrenheit inside a crude human structure that can only hope to withstand the intense heat. If such a heat source were released to the environment everything across the planet would be melted instantly. It is said that if a match had the temperature of the sun upon the tip of it, everything within 1000 miles would be burned to crisps.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 12:14:42 am »
yes i heard about that, the earth would be melted instantly...we'd have no idea what happened
Under construction

Offline Greg16

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 12:16:56 am »
Still it is intresting what people are able to do these days. It really amazes me that something like this was allowed to happen, just goes to show you how safe we really are in the hands of people who don't know the consequences  :P

edit: On a side note if that extreme temperature was unexpected why did their structure survive?

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 12:21:34 am »
the structure survived due to the powerful electromagnetic field that is holding the plasma where it should be, if the electromagnetic field suddenly collapsed, then we'd be in hell (literally)
Under construction

Offline Greg16

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 12:27:21 am »
Yeah there is no doubt there, I'm surprised there wasn't publicized though. People need to know if there life may end.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 12:29:40 am »
well its another possible end of human civilization as we know it scenario
Under construction

Offline Gwahir

• Missile Commander
  • Every so often, you need a really big explosion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 12:38:46 am »
The Z machine is also the device they're asking to use to test the Heim Burkhard theory.  (conversion of electromagnetic force into gravity used for space craft propulsion, forced enough it is theorized that it will enter a different dimension where the speed of light is faster allowing faster than light speeds (relatively speaking))   The theory was created as a bridge between quantum mechanics and general relativity.  A lot to it, research it if you want, but don't expect to grasp the whole thing, most don't.
Celestial billiards is fun!

Offline Greg16

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 12:46:56 am »
Personally I think the barriers that people put up, like the fact that if you go faster than light speed you will travel back in time, thats just a load of crap. Because light isn't the actual substance. That's like when people way back when said you would dematerialize if you went faster than 2 mph.

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 01:03:57 am »
Eugh I hate hotness.

Personal art galleries:

Offline LONE GUNNER3

• Intellivision Junkie
  • I WILL RULE ALL.as soon as I get Spore that is .
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 02:17:50 am »
the structure survived due to the powerful electromagnetic field that is holding the plasma where it should be, if the electromagnetic field suddenly collapsed, then we'd be in hell (literally)

lol have a plasma gun that fires founds that hot  :D.Anyway that is amazing,also amazing that it got that hot.Heh funny how they tested it several times more too see if it was realy that hot  :-X.
MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA one day l shall RULE the galaxy.And that day will be when Spore comes out :p

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rpg_man/Untitled-1.png

Offline KroBua

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 02:21:57 am »
Wow thats crazy.  I am quite surpised that they are allowed to do this.  I mean I'm all for futher studies in everything but wow.

Well hell I guess I don't care if I die, just can't wait to see what comes out of these amazing studies (lets hope one doesn't fail...), hoping for space travel myself (Oh we have this?)

Ug, I got a stupid pink unicorn, hope next is better.