Author Topic: hey steve....what kinda sounds did the critters make?  (Read 8121 times)

Offline snappledude21

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
hey steve....what kinda sounds did the critters make?
« on: April 13, 2005, 07:37:31 pm »
Hey, yea, I know that the music for the game wasn't in per your podcast, but what about the animals?  Did the different animals make different noises?  I was wondering because i know that basically the limits of sound for animals are based off of throat shape, size (roughly).  AKA a little tiny crab like guy couldn't make the deep billowing noise of say, a brontosaurous. 

So I was thinking, hey, you've got all the geometry for the creatures (the neck especially, length, width, etc) so could there be some sort of random sound generated based off a "baseline" set of noises? Ya know, assume a certain width/length of neck to make a basic set of noises, and then with more math formulas, modulate the sin waves involved in making noises (aka the frequency or pitch of the sound) based on the size based on real life expectations? Birds make very high pitched noises just based off of the really tiny neck and tiny size.  Elephants have a short neck, but LARGE diameter, so make deep noises.  Thanks for any info you happened to have, found it strange that you hadn't mentioned the creature sounds at all once i thought of it (and only the game music)

mike

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: hey steve....what kinda sounds did the critters make?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 08:21:49 pm »
That ... is a good question. You know, I don't remember. The sound was really low during the presentation (Will actually complained about this towards the end of the presentation) so I couldn't hear anything other than the music. I would think that the critters would make some noise of some sort, but I couldn't hear anything. Sorry!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline snappledude21

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 09:04:18 pm »
Haha, that's ok, thanks for the reply.  Interesting that the sound would be so low.  Oh well, I suppose we'll find out soon enough what they all sound like. I seriously doubt they wouldn't make any sounds.

Mike

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 11:26:44 pm »

Good question too, that's going to be a major way that the creatures would express themselves, unless they're all mute. Can't imagine the creatures cooperating in this game without some kind of alien Simlish being uttered, though since it isn't supposed to 'sound' like English it could be a lot more freeform. Interesting thoughts on it being based on neck shape and such, might be hard for the game to figure what the neck is on some creatures but it'd be the most organic way to determine it, without creating a new menu for choosing your creature's vocalizations.

I can hardly see them not putting in creature sounds to some extent, it'd just be too stale and lifeless. They've got to make some sort of noise while fighting.

Offline snappledude21

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 12:38:02 am »
Yea, they definitely need some sort of fighting cry, or the mating cry! That's right i remember steve said in the podcast that they had this mating cry and dance. What did that sound like Steve?

Oh yea, and as far as what would be the neck....well DUH whatever part of the body led to the head. Or heads.  If there were different shaped necks, take some sort of average.

Mike

PS just thought of a really cool creature with different sized heads, haha.

Offline WeltallZero

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 06:15:30 am »
By that token, I wonder if creatures with many heads will sound like several voices overlapped. That'd be cool.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 08:16:49 am »
Oooh! Oooh! I know this one! My EYES may suck, but my EARS are quite good.

Aside from the glubbing noises and swishing sounds, there wasn't much 'creature noise' in the cellular and sea levels. However, once the creature got on land, it was full of noises. Most were pretty generic...

But the creature himself made this noise... the most IRRITATING CREATURE NOISE EVER. It went "graaaaak!" like a hoarse bullfrog with a squeeky toy caught in its throat. And in the TRIBAL stage we got to hear HALF A DOZEN of these creatures graaaaking in unison. Ugh. I sure hope it's not the final sound.

The other noises were pretty generic: explosions, squeeking treads, wwooooeeeeuuu UFO travel sounds, a neat static for the radio, and a seismic rumble for the black hole. Kwathooms for the volcanos and so on.

-Craig

Offline snappledude21

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 09:05:06 am »
Sweet! At least they make noise, even if it is annoying. I"d rather it be annoying and memorable than just bland.  Happen to hear anything else make a noise? Say maybe the giant spider thing that chased it?

Thanks a bunch

Mike

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 10:45:40 am »
None of the other creatures had a distinctive noise - I don't think they had any specific noise at all.

THAT is one area that I'm hoping definitely wasn't finished.

-Craig

Offline snappledude21

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 03:23:00 pm »
Thanks for the follow up. Yea i definitely want to hear my carebear let out a mighty roar.....or a pathetic squeak. Whichever, just something.  It would be SO easy to do something audio wise with just a waveform modulated to match the geometry of the neck.  I mean not that I COULD.....haha. But i know they could easily.  Just take some length/width ratio or something like that. 

Mike

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 04:12:05 pm »
Thanks for the follow up. Yea i definitely want to hear my carebear let out a mighty roar.....or a pathetic squeak. Whichever, just something. It would be SO easy to do something audio wise with just a waveform modulated to match the geometry of the neck. I mean not that I COULD.....haha. But i know they could easily. Just take some length/width ratio or something like that.
In this case, you're definitely right. Since I can program that, if they can't I'll be shocked. Although I think mine would be a bit more complex than just the length of neck - after all, that's vocal chords, which animals really don't much specialize in. I think I'd focus on the the resonance chambers, such as the mouth, nasal cavities, etc. It's certainly doable.

-Craig

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 11:41:11 pm »
When I think about it maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree thinking it'll be determined in an 'organic' way. The thing is that not deliberately choosing it means that we'd have to make visible changes to our creatures to avoid getting incredibly annoying voices.

On the one hand, determining voice organically means you won't get little bunny creatures with booming voices, you know weird or 'unrealistic' stuff, and it also simplifies the game dynamic a bit, but on the other hand you could very seriously make your visually 'perfect' creature then be stuck with a voice you can't stand.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 09:55:10 am »
But I want a booming voiced killer rabbit =(.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 02:28:40 pm »
You know the challenge here will be to see what noise a giant giraffe makes.
-Lego

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 04:51:05 pm »
I would imagine a cross between an elephant and a dying dinosaur. Whatever that is.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 07:35:49 pm »
Oooh! Oooh! I know this one! My EYES may suck, but my EARS are quite good.

Heh, that is good. My eyes are good, but my ears aren't quite as good. After reading what you wrote I sort of do remember those strange organic sounds. But I don't really remember too well what they sounded like.

However, maybe I'll get a chance to hear them at E3? I'll bring my equipment with me and try to tape the sounds (and video) of Spore so we know for sure!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve