Author Topic: Gemski  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Moonblade

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Gemski
« on: March 08, 2006, 05:09:19 pm »
keep in mind, that this creature is probably going to undergo some serious changes.  also..I know that it's not 100% original...a lot of inspiration from dragons.  but it's the only thing that ever pops into my head when I start thinking about creatures...and it's not all taken from stock either. 

the Gemski(or Gem Dragon)

size is currently uncertain but somewhere between a housecat and a large dog depending on how much I tweak them.

They have four legs, the front claws are more capable of manipulation then the hind, but still make good natural weapons.  The hind claws are still capable of grasping, but don't have the degree of manipulation that the foreclaws do.  the tail is used for most things that tails are(balance, and such)  it's length will also vary depending on the main size of the Gemski.  Their wings, which are on their backs and situated between their fore and hind legs, are sufficiently developed to maintain flight, but when folded tightly across the creatures back blend in to it's skin and scales so much that it would take sharp eyes to note they have wings.  The wings show evidence of once having been a third set of legs/arms, which gradually changed.

Their heads will be somewhat muzzle-like. with eyes set for binocular vision, with a crest that either stands up or lays flat on their neck depending on their mood.  The crest and wings are also used for display and/or communication.  they are primarily meat eaters, but can and do eat fruits, nuts and plants...stem and leaves however are generally used for medicine then food.  Their teeth reflect their diet. their claws do constantly grow but are trimmed to the desired length and sharpness  by careful chewing of them, this also serves to keep their teeth clean. 

They call themselves Gemski but other races(once they reach space) sometimes refer to them as Gem Dragons...mainly because their colors are so varied but almost always fairly bright, each individual has different patterns and rarely do they repeat...there is no meaning behind their color though, though some keep insisting there is(like the general opinion on Astrology for us).

Their colors evolved due to two circumstances...they emulated the bright colors of animals with poison, without any themselves..and this gave them enough time to fly away from any predator that took a moment, but wasn't fooled.

Despite being mainly carnivores they tend to prefer peace to war.  They're generally playful and inquisitive, and war doesn't give them the leisure to be either, however they do defend themselves when attacked.

opinions?  observations?  leave the flamethrowers at home please.
(Edit: changed their name, and post title)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 01:24:17 pm by Moonblade »

Yay! my two dragons!

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: *coughs* new creature...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 05:12:38 pm »
you don't have to worry about any 'flamethrowers', we are aware of the diversity of designs :) there might be some heavy criticsm if there is something that doesn't seem biologically right about the creature, but its all constructive criticsm :)

anyway, nice description :)

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:01:54 pm »
As long as you creature dosn't have flame throwers, its a good sign you didn't try to include that and justify the diversity of the editor ;D
Great design. YOu should ask someone to do a pic, or do one yourself.
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline Moonblade

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 10:23:16 pm »
Nah, they don't breath fire, ice or whatnot.  I can't draw anything.  the last horse I tried to do(back in school)  well..the teacher complemented me on my accurate drawing of an amoeba...though if anyone else is willing to draw it for me I'd be grateful!
Yay! my two dragons!

Offline Greg16

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 12:25:54 am »
I like the way this sounds. Your detail is intresting. If you included drawings it might further heighten our senses. This race sounds extremely original, nice work  ;)
Will Wright, the original.

Offline Moonblade

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Re: Gemski
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 04:56:28 pm »
Well, thought I'd flesh this out a little(OK, so I got an idea burst at work..)  by telling a bit of their lore and religion.

In the times before they started exploring and understanding space they viewed the sky above where they could fly with fascination, and like almost all cultures started telling stories.  The sky was sacred, and all are blessed who are able to move through it.  but the grounddwellers were not cursed or forsaken, they just weren't as blessed.  They revered their one moon as the bringer of light in the darkness, a guide to all lost to the night.  The stars were souls of those who died, blessed even in death for now they could fly higher into the sky and play as long as they wished.  Meteor showers were those souls making a dive to check in on their family and friends, as well as for the joy of flight.  Whenever a large meteor made it through their atmosphere it was considered either as a gift from those "Startaken", or as a dropped toy they couldn't retrieve fast enough. 

A rather rare mutation(usually happening after a lot of solar activity, CME's and such..)  was darker colored scales with patterns that looked etched with silver dust. Those that had this were referred to as "Startouched"  and great things were expected from them...or at least something interesting, most of these tended to be sterile, but a handful were not..and the mutation was passed to their offspring.  the descendant of that family, bearing the sign of the startouched, was the first Gemski to fly into space...in a craft he himself invented. 

Speaking of their sun, it was fairly stable..and had a slower sunspot cycle then earths(11 year cycle I think?)  26 earth years.

will fill in more as details run through my head
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 01:25:21 pm by Moonblade »
Yay! my two dragons!

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 05:06:34 pm »
cool!  :) I wonder what would happen if they met my kessans.

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2768.0

8)
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline Moonblade

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 07:38:50 am »
Hard to say, would depend on what period of time they met each other in I'd wager. 

Comets were viewed not as gods or omens...but as visiting "Great ones"  members that looked much like them, but on a larger scale, and during their journey through the sky their own shining scales had come upon a radiance of their own.  the largest comet comes every three generations, and is large and close enough that it seems to take up half the night sky.  This is the only comet seen as a god, alongside Senern the Moon god, and Vaeril Sun Goddess.  it was Cevles, the son of both of them. 

One other critter on their planet was known as a Feebrle, it was fast and maneuverable in the air, to the point where catching one alive was considered a great accomplishment.  Gemski that managed this were usually honored by the friends.  some of the highest jobs required the applicant to have caught one,  but those jobs were rare.   the Feebrle had insect-like wings on an oval body about the size of a cigar.  it had two limbs extending out behind it allowing for better control in the air, but it could fold them back on themselves to tuck them close to it's body.  it had four legs aside from those, which it used to rest and eat.  it'd eat ANYTHING just about, a scavenger.  Those that managed to catch one usually tried to keep it as a sort of pet.

The Gemski had several choices of prey, but there are two they prefer, the Driskl  and Serugh.  the Driskl is a long four legged herbivore with prehensile snout, with it it reaches up to the top of the trees or to the ground to eat whatever's there.  it's legs are fairly thin with a slightly long neck(something like someone mixed a Giraffe with an Elephants trunk..or a Giraffe precursor anyway) they were fairly easy for skilled Gemski flyer's to take down, a quick stoop at their neck would break it as they're not capable of withstanding impacts there.  but these rarely come into normal Gemski territory, their real staple is the Serugh.  ((and as I'm pressed for time, I'll edit this and finish up later))
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 01:27:30 pm by Moonblade »
Yay! my two dragons!

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 08:03:19 am »
dang, you stole my idea of a dragon-based life form!  >:(

o well,

here is a picture of a "gem dragon" that you can use

Offline Moonblade

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Re: Gemski
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 01:22:51 pm »
wow, where'd youg get that?  except from all the spikes and the ball at the end of the tail, that's pretty accurate.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 01:27:45 pm by Moonblade »
Yay! my two dragons!