Author Topic: Spore System Requirements  (Read 39611 times)

Offline Racingfreak92

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Spore System Requirements
« on: March 07, 2006, 06:49:27 pm »
Im very excited about spore and am getting a new computer that will actually run it. But before i buy a computer I was wondering if anyone (Steve,are you reading this?) Knows what system requirments it will need? My main concerns are operating system and Vidio card because the comp im gonna get will probably have about 1gig of RAM. I dont know if im gonna get a Vista or a Xp and The vidio card is unknwon. If anybody knows what i need pleease tell me.

So My concerns are :
                              Operating system: Vista or Xp?
                              Vidio Card

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
Re: Spore System Requirements
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 06:53:27 pm »
I'm sure Spore will run on XP because the demo obviously had to and all of the dev on the game must have been done on XP.  Unless WW has made a deal with the devil (aka Microsoft)?

As for video cards, I'm sure it won't be too bad if the demo ran on a laptop.  The only thing I'm worried about is the RAM and processing power required for the game.  I'm sure a procedural game, while lower on storage space, makes up for it in MASSIVE amounts of code.  I heard rumors that we will need at least 1gig of RAM and 3gigs of processor speed, which puts my machine at the lower end of the scale  :'(

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 07:37:22 pm »
Its got to run on XP, Vista I don't think will be out this year will it? Now will it be compatable with Vista when that comes out thats the question.

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 08:11:54 pm »
I would recommend 2 gigs of ram, at least. 2gigs is pretty much the standard for this generation of games, and seeing as how Spore is still far off, one can only imagine it'll use up whatever system resources you can throw its way. Not to mention, the ability to scale seamlessly from looking at a creature up close, all the way out to viewing the universe, is most certainly going to be resource intensive.

I'm not sure on the video card, but you'd be wise to go with a 256mb (or better :)) card, and the more money you can fork out for one, the better.

And for the OS, though no formal announcement has been made, I can guarantee you it'll run on Windows XP. Vista isn't even scheduled for release until Q3 2006, which is the same quarter this title is tentatively set for release. They'd alienate far too many consumers were they to not make Spore XP compatable.

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 08:44:22 pm »
Probably preety standard.
NO revoilutionary graphics or neato explosions.
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 08:56:55 pm »
I thought part of the driving force behind the whole procedural generation business was so that at some point in the future more games could be made that wouldn't have crazy advanced highly expensive system requirements, and that Spore in particular would in fact be less demanding and require less space than most current generation titles without sacrificing quality or appearing subpar.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Zorlac

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Sporewiki
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 11:10:47 pm »
No way will it need 2 gigs of ram. That would be absurd, there is no game out there that even 'needs' close to 2 gigs. I'd say at least 2ghz and 1gig ram for smooth game play, with a recent-ish gfx card.

Offline Varsity

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 11:11:50 pm »
Probably the same as The Sims 2...

XYZZY!

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 11:19:48 pm »
No way will it need 2 gigs of ram. That would be absurd, there is no game out there that even 'needs' close to 2 gigs. I'd say at least 2ghz and 1gig ram for smooth game play, with a recent-ish gfx card.

Well, you're right in that this generation of games will run without 2 gigs of ram, but not so well. If one wants to run them without turing the graphics all the way down, while still receiving acceptable framerates, it is a given. I thought this was common knowledge, though. 2 gigs has been the standard for gaming machines for a while now.

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 11:52:35 pm »
I have only 1gig of ram and I can play every new game very smooth with graphics high.
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 11:58:03 pm »
I have only 1gig of ram and I can play every new game very smooth with graphics high.

Which games? And what are the rest of your system specs?

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 12:01:09 am »

Well, you're right in that this generation of games will run without 2 gigs of ram, but not so well. If one wants to run them without turing the graphics all the way down, while still receiving acceptable framerates, it is a given. I thought this was common knowledge, though. 2 gigs has been the standard for gaming machines for a while now.

Standard for high-end gaming machines, certainly. Most people get by with 500MB~1G. I, for example, run Civ4 on 500MB with a 64MB card. :>

That is not to say that I don't expect having to upgrade; I don't expect, however, Spore to have the resource requirements of say Oblivion with its ridiculous (in the good way) eyecandy graphics.
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline trinest

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 12:17:04 am »
Its got to run on XP, Vista I don't think will be out this year will it? Now will it be compatable with Vista when that comes out thats the question.

Vista will be out from September to November...cant remember when....

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 05:37:23 am »
Halflife 2 runs pretty schmoothly on my computer... is that a good sign?

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 05:39:41 am »
Just get the best computer you can get with your budget and you're safe, basta. That'll surely keep you safe for a short while too.

Personal art galleries: