Author Topic: new concept creature (need some help in figuring out how to draw part of it)  (Read 3193 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
well this is the species I proposed about earlier, they are insectoid and evolved from 8 legged insectoids and are carnivorous.

now, after I drew the front part (I'm satisfied with the front part), I erased the back end which looks like an insectoid abdomen because I thought it looked too small and I wanted to add a bit more wieght to that area, plus since these are supposed to be vicious predators I wanted to make the two pairs of walking legs large and powerful.

This is what I had before I erased the back area:

and this is the current template I'm trying to work with:

the problem I'm having is that I just can't make up my mind as for how it should look, I know I want it to look like a predator, have some armor on its back like the way it was earlier, but still...

and btw its supposed to be up to 8 feet tall at the eye.

Offline Greg16

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Maybe you could just make it bipedal. with wasp like feet. Would be intresting.
Will Wright, the original.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
only problem I origionally designed this with 8 legs in mind and I just want some help in figuring out what the abdomen should look like, I just can't settle on a shape...

basically I want some suggestions that would work or perhaps to inspire me because I don't know whether I want a slightly curved beetle-shaped abdomen or one that curves upwards like a cricket maybe or something, and I want something that would fit a predators physiology.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 03:51:04 pm by smjjames »

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
Well, if it has antlike abdomen like that, his legs could sprout like this:

Or have him stand upright:

Or scrap the second abdomen.

(picture missing)

Personal art galleries:

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
ok, I was sort of planning to have the legs be one pair close to the main torso end and the other closer to the other end to kinda balance it out.

or maybe..... that ant-like one gives me an idea, maybe I can have it be a curving abdomen with a stinger on the end of it, after all they are vicious predators and a stinger would make them even more vicious :)

whats the wierd little thingy on the bottom left corner of the second pic?

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
Yeah you can do that too. You could also place them on the underside of the abdomen and then have the connection point be thicker or just one form.

Stinger, for the bottom one? Because the top one isn't really build for using it effectivly then...hmm.

Well the thing is, how much like an existing ant/wasp do you want to make this look?

whats the wierd little thingy on the bottom left corner of the second pic?

Just a silly little man, I've adapted to drawing.

Personal art galleries:

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
well I'm edging towards a more mantis like look for the back because they already walk on thier 4 back legs pretty much, and I could leave the stinger out, they are probably pretty deadly already with thier flesh tearing mouthparts and the pair of large clawed hands.

they actually use both pairs of hands when hunting, its just that the top pair is more modified for manipulation and isnt as big, the bottom one is unmodified and has retained its lethality. also they hunt in groups, so maybe I don't neccesarily need a stinger on them.