Author Topic: The Ikszee (my new creature!) and Procedural Limb Placement  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
The Ikszee (my new creature!) and Procedural Limb Placement
« on: March 04, 2006, 09:53:01 am »
Hey everyone!
So all the cool people are posting their ideas for cool spore creatures. My idea follows (sadly, without any cool drawings. I can't draw at all! If anyone had the urge to draw what I described I'd appreciated it!). This post is mostly about my creatures, but also how spore would hand something like them. If your entirely bothered by the length of the post feel free to read the bullets summing up each section! I've tried to make this user-friendly, so suggestions for format and the like are welcome!

The Ikszee Biology: Creatures from a lush planet. Ikszee are vaguely spider like, with only six legs that radiate from their central body.
The Ikszee have 6 to 18 independent muscular extentions from the front of the spherical central body. These extentions each have an eye at their tips. Each eye is sensitive to distinct wave lengths of light. Sight is extremely important to the Ikszee. Humans can see from about 400nm-700nm (Thats from blue to red light, with blue light having the most energy). Ikszee can see deep into the ultraviolet and infrared, with elders having eyes that can see distinct bands of radiation from radio waves to high intensity gamma radiation. The eyes themselves are thick and hard crystallized protein casings protecting the inner lens. Each Ikszee continues to grow new eyestalks from birth to death. As the Ikszee age the new eyestalks grown are sensitive to more exotic bands of radiation.

The number of eye extensions varies greatly, but all Ikszee contain 2 distinct eye stalks that are ridged with razor-like bone protrusions. These eye stalks can see in the infrared and were used greatly in primitive Ikszee hunting. These eyestalks curl up towards the body when the Ikszee is hunting and quickly spring out to full extension (1-1.5 meters) to stab the Ikszee prey.
Ikszee use their eye stalk as humans use their fingers. Each eye stalk can curl around an object to pick it up, or multiple eyestalks can grab an object together.

Ikszee are omnivores, but ingest large quantities of protein. Fruits are their favorite 'non-meat' foods. The Ikszee mouth is located on the bottom of their spherical central body. Their brain and organs are encased in the central body with a thick layer of bone (~3-5cm thick).

So, very quickly,
Recap of Ikszee Biology
  • Spider like structure, six legs radiating from a central body
  • Multiple eyestalks comming from the front of the central body
  • Organs and Brain encased in thick spherical bone structure
Early Ikszee Culture:The Ikszee (Pronounced as ick-zee, with three distinct popping sounds in the 'zee' pronunciation) culture arose out of solitary nocturnal hunters. Each Ikszee (male and female) would venture across the lush jungles of their planet for the entire Ikszee Summer Season. The Ikszee would then come together at their birthplace for mating. A true and permanent culture arose when the Ikszee constructed great cities at these birthing places. After the Summer Season Ikszee from great distances would come together for many days of intense celebration at their birthing cities.

These celebrations where crucial in the transferring of ideas between Ikszee. Ikszee elders would entertain the youth with stories of their adventures from the previous Summer. The youth would share crucial hunting skills with eachother during this period. The food for the celebrations would eventually run out, and the Ikszee would part ways until the next birthing cycle. The Ikszee did not permanently settle into a city until the people of the southern islands produced an amazing invention...

Ikszee Culture And The Discovery Of Glass: The inhabitants of the southern islands were known for the technological superiority. Unique clothing from natural fibers and distinct bone-sharpening technology had spread from this group of islands. A unique Ikszee, named Ta Kee, eventually discovered the unique properties of silica and glass. Ta Kee discovered the glass could be shaved an hardened. The glass was eventually mounted on top of an Ikszee eye. Ta Kee essentially gave the Ikszee species an entire new set of hunting techniques. Because of the optical properties of glass, Ikszee hunters retained their visual capabilities, but could thrust their new weapons into their prey. No longer did the Ikszee have only two weapons.
The technology only took 7 Summers to travel across the globe. Ikszee hunters could now hunt much more efficiently. Ta Kee was immortalized in Ikszee stories, and is generally sited as the catalyst to the rapid advancement and expansion of the Ikszee species. The Ikszee word for all glass, Takeem, has become equivalent to 'discovery'. A new calender was created to remember TaKee. The Ikszee remember this as Year 1.

After this great invention Ikszee began to gather more frequently for their huge celebrations. It was not uncommon for birthing cities to contain more than 75,000 Ikszee at one time for a huge celebration. These celebrations increased in frequency due to the plentiful supply of food until the Ikszee were essentially permanent city dwellers.
Summary of Early Ikszee Culture
  • Culture began with the establishment of Birthing Cities
  • Advancement of Technologies through Ikszee interaction increase due to cities
  • Year 1-Ta Kee of the Souther Islands discovers glass and its use as a weapon
  • ~Year 200-Ikszee recognize their status as permanent city dwellers

Ok, thats about if for now. Thoughts, comments, discussion??? Personally, I'm rather interested if I can create these guys in Spore. I know the visual system is not gonna happen, but I bet that I could make a creature with multiple eyestalks like the Ikszee.
I'll post more if anyone is interested!

Silver_Kiwi

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
Re: The Ikszee (my new creature!) and Procedural Limb Placement
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 10:13:07 am »
they sound very cool

as for someone drawing it...i may very well at some point in the distant future get right to it! :D
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 10:14:38 am »
haha, thanks! Yeah, these guys are pretty fun to write about!
Silver_Kiwi

Offline kmr

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • One hep cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 10:19:47 am »
Don't forget to add them to the SporeWiki!  ;D
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 10:49:07 am »
Hmm, very cool.
once they are a little more conceptually developed I may have to feature them here: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=1583.435 (with your permission of course)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 11:39:08 am »
Woo, sounds cool Krakow Sam!

Ok, continuation of Culture...

Middle Ikszee Culture: This period (generally recognized as Year 200-1124) was characterized by rapid growth across the Ikszee globe. As the cities began to grow in population technological growth was rapid. In Year 348 the Southern Islands established themselves as united citizens. This was the first known organization of the Ikszee species into a quasi-political structure. Elder Ikszee led a population estimated to be 2,650,000 in its height of success. Rapid advancements in glass construction produced more efficient hunting tools. Their advancements quickly spread across the globe.

Most Ikszee, but especially the inhabitants of the Southern Islands, are known for the love of music. During the mating celebrations held in the ancient birthing cities the greatest Ikszee musicians would play for days at a time. This love of music stayed with the Ikszee into the Middle Culture period, where training to be a musician was an encouraged and celebrated career.

Ikszee also enjoy fruit. During mating celebration many of the Ikszee males would bring rare fruit from great distances as an example of their abilities to survive the Summer roaming. The Ikszee's home planet is lush with jungle, and contains many distinct fruit bearing plants. Ikszee in the Middle Culture enjoyed many types of fruit. Preparation of food was not necessary for the Ikszee digestive system. During the Middle Culture mating celebrations, one Ikszee was known to bring 136 distinct varieties of fruit. The Ickzee prized the tree farmers for their produce during the Middle Culture. This was seen as an excellent occupation, one that required great monetary powers to support.

Thinkers and inventors in the Middle Culture period were generally middle to elder aged Ikszee. The strenuous work of Tree Farming or musical performances was left to the youth, while the elders of the community thought of ways to understand nature. An understanding of light was an enormous priority to the Ikszee Elders.

Middle Culture Summary
  • All Ikszee cities flourished, especially the Southern Islands
  • Ikszee continue to advance their knowledge of Music and Tree Farming
  • Elders of Southern Islands investigate the nature of light

Enjoy! Thats about it for now...
Soon enough I'll get to the Ikszee in space... hehe, that'll be pretty interesting!
Silver_Kiwi

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 11:44:49 am »
definetly cool :)

also, I'm not quite sure what you meant by the discovery of glass gave them new weapons, so they could create glass caps on thier eyes and have some razor sharp projection on it? only problem is that glass is fragile and even with the sharp edge of the weapon they still risk the thing shattering.

and what did you mean by procedural limb placement in the title?

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 11:54:47 am »
Hmm I'll try again later, I don't like this version. And I'm missing one thing...graspers? How does this creature create glass and such? It's also missing some small things form your description.

Anyhoo:

Personal art galleries:

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 11:57:59 am »
well he said that they use the eyestalks like fingers, which could work in the same way as tentacles for graspers, and they'd make glass the same way its always made, by melting sand and silica.

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 12:01:56 pm »
well he said that they use the eyestalks like fingers, which could work in the same way as tentacles for graspers, and they'd make glass the same way its always made, by melting sand and silica.

Oh yeah now I see..hmm. Optimisation issue, place it at the tip or at the side a bit for better grasping...funny idea though, that way you don't get the thing from your mom saying "Look at it with your eyes! Not your fingers!". :p
But he said stalks...not tentacles? The background and culture is very nice, but maybe the biology may need some more work?

Personal art galleries:

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 12:58:30 pm »
Holy cow madGiraffe!
Thats pretty cool!
Ok, here are some things I forgot to mention...
Yes, they use their eyestalks as their fingers/hands. The body is a little flatter towards the center, and their 6 legs are thin and long.
The eyestalks are about 1/2 the size of the unstretched leg.
The colors of the creature are exactly as I imagined them! Really cool stuff MadGiraffe!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 07:27:45 pm by Silver_Kiwi »
Silver_Kiwi

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 04:55:55 pm »

This is a (not so great) drawing of an Ikszee Tree Farm from the Middle Culture period.
Tree farms are usually grown into the side of one of the many huge trees that grow on the Ikszee's home planet.
Vines are grown across the knots in a tree and various fruits are grown into the vines. Tending the distinct varieties of fruit is difficult work, but the monetary rewards are great.
Typical trees contain 6-24 different farms. Each farm generally consists of 5 different fruit varieties.
Some of the largest tree farms in the Southern Islands consist of 2 or 3 close trees with vines grown across the gap. These farms are known across the globe and produce huge quantities of food.

Silver_Kiwi

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 05:15:01 pm »
Nice picture
I especially like the little Ikszee in the bottom.
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 02:56:09 am »
Indeed, I certainly would like to see a bigger picture of small Iksee at the bottom. BIG trees btw :P. And I see some smudging....you've got Photoshop?

Personal art galleries:

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 08:04:19 pm »
Sadly, no.
I used Gimp, its a free photoshop-ish program out there. It's not too bad, but I only have a mouse to use it with.
Oh well, I'll just have to learn how to use gimp better... ;D
Silver_Kiwi