Author Topic: Movement  (Read 5044 times)

Offline meh

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Beep. Beep. Beep. Donk.
    • View Profile
    • My Hobbies Online
Movement
« on: April 11, 2005, 05:52:31 pm »
I have a question for the people who were at the demo: How did Will Wright move his creature/UFO?

Did he use the arrow keys? Did he use the point-click-go-there from The Sims? Did it move on its own ( I assume not)? Or was it pre-recorded and he didn't actualy move the creature?

I have been wondering this for awhile.

The room of no escape! Enter!
Bring back GooGrid!

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Movement
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 06:13:48 pm »
Sort of a combo of keyboard and mouse clicking. It looked like he was using the keyboard to scroll around the screen, the mouse scroll button to zoom in and out (not 100% about that, but it looked like he was using it because it wasn't 100% smooth, like he was slowly rolling the button), and the keyboard to point and click for movement.

Nothing looked pre-recorded.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Wulf

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 01:22:24 am »
Another thing on movement...How did the character walk? Was it awkward? I just kinda want a better, fleshed out explanation.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 06:04:34 am »
I suppose that would depend on how well you design your creature. The computer looks at your design, and attempts to figure out how such a creature would move.  Though I think I read somewhere, that if you're not happy with the computers interpretation, you can change it to how you want it to move.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 08:13:49 am »
The walking algorithms were smooth and superb for all creatures, including the horribly weird ones. I was extremely impressed. They use pretty loose physics, I think, so there's a bit of flubbing when it comes to balance and inertia, but the actual motion is easily good enough for monster movies.

Behumat: I don't remember ever hearing that. Unless it was talked about seperately, I don't think it's true.

As for controlling, I'm afraid I couldn't make it out. I know that the later levels were controlled by mouse, for certain, but the early levels seem like they would be far easier to control with a keyboard. AND, I don't remember seeing any kind of mouse pointer on the first two stages. I'm pretty sure the keyboard could be used for controlling camera, at least, and probably shortcut keys.

I know he used it to advance to the next stage. :)

I think the UFO is controlled in much the same way as the creature, since I'm pretty sure I saw him pressing buttons for that.

-Craig

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 12:27:50 pm »
As for controlling, I'm afraid I couldn't make it out. I know that the later levels were controlled by mouse, for certain, but the early levels seem like they would be far easier to control with a keyboard. AND, I don't remember seeing any kind of mouse pointer on the first two stages. I'm pretty sure the keyboard could be used for controlling camera, at least, and probably shortcut keys.

Actually he did use the mouse pointer in the first two stages. He was using the mouse pointer to point out the different cells and creatures on the screen to the audience. However, it did look like he was using the keyboard to control his cellular creature during this stage as all movement was just 2D. But then he switched back to the mouse when he was on the creature building screen.

Again, it looks like he was using a combo system of both mouse and keyboard, sort of like The Sims uses. I was also sitting so close to him (just a few feet away on the floor) that I could actually hear the keyboard and mouse being used at times.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 01:43:36 pm »
Actually he did use the mouse pointer in the first two stages. He was using the mouse pointer to point out the different cells and creatures on the screen to the audience.

Are you sure? I remember him using it during the design sequences, but the rest of the time he said things like "the brown things" - I don't remember them being carefully pointed out. Which, in fact, briefly confused me, since there were two kinds of brown things.

-Craig

Offline gordin

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • Spore Universe
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 01:56:42 pm »
In the available pictures of Spore, a mouse pointer is visible even in the first stage, craigp so you must have forgotten.
Spore Universe, where all Spore news meets

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 04:16:13 pm »
Yeah, I guess so. My vision is pretty poor, at that.

-Craig

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 04:17:14 pm »
Are you sure? I remember him using it during the design sequences, but the rest of the time he said things like "the brown things" - I don't remember them being carefully pointed out. Which, in fact, briefly confused me, since there were two kinds of brown things.

Yeah, I remember. And as gordin pointed out you can see the mouse pointer in several of the photos. I remember him moving the pointer around next to each item he was pointing out. It was very very hard to see, I was sitting under the screen next to the stage and I could barely see it.

Actually, I just looked at the photos again and you can see the mouse pointer in nearly every single photo.

Wow, E3 is less than 5 weeks away. It's going to be a Sporefest again in a few more weeks as this time I'm going to E3 fully prepared to record tons of good stuff!

Wulf

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 06:57:18 pm »
Indeed. You have to wright up a long explanation or expect to see my ninjas at your door!