Author Topic: A great game to play while you wait for Spore  (Read 8110 times)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
A great game to play while you wait for Spore
« on: April 11, 2005, 04:35:41 pm »
Try out E.V.O., it's a really neat game for the SNES. I don't know where you could actually BUY it, but you can always get the, ahem, ROM. It doesn't exactly offer as many choices as Spore, but it's really good for its time.

Offline Bimber

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Re: A great game to play while you wait for Spore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 05:27:02 pm »
Good suggestion, I guess. That game is a lot of fun, but I found it terribly short. I beat it in about 4 hours first time through. Good game, though.

Wulf

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 01:25:45 am »
I didn't even like that game side of it. I just cheated so each kill gave off ten times experience so I could mess with all the cool bits and pieces.

Offline Nic

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 12:52:20 pm »
^^ me too, I just liked the custom parts and stuff, but the gameplay was very frustrating at times.

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 01:18:15 pm »
I loved EVO, but a lot of people didn't like the gameplay. So heres a list of some more Sporeish type games:
EVO(already mentioned, SNES)
Cubivore(GCN)
Magic Pengle(PS2) for creating different creatures
Seventh Cross(DC, a very cool game despite its flaws)
Creatures(PC, a neat virtual life sim)
Impossible Creatures(PC, where you mix and match animal parts, and them batlle them RTS style)

Offline WeltallZero

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 01:34:11 pm »
By the way, Graffiti Kingdom (Rakugaki Oukoku 2, with Rakugaki Oukoku being the original Magic Pengel) is released this month or the next and looks really neat. For one, they improved and streamlined the creation interface enormously; not only are basic things like erasing intermediate parts or recoloring them post-creation now possilble, they even thought of extremely helpful stuff like making symmetrical clones of a part (unmeasurably helpful for limbs, eyes and a very long etcetera).

Other highlights of the creator include transparent pieces, deciding the way the piece goes into 3D after drawing it (instead of before, like in MP1, by choosing the appropriate pen), choosing between several possible animations for a single doodle, creating stuff like aircraft (impossible in the first game to the extent of my knowledge, as all doodles walked or bounced), and choosing the voice set your doodle has. I think you also get to choose what attacks and abilities your doodle gets, to an extent.

Further, the game play, if still most likely the least important part for us, seems to be more interesting as it's now a platformer arcade. This allows for a more direct control of the player's creations, which should make things more interesting.

Oh, it also includes a 2-player versus mode that, while not exactly likely to kick Tekken 5's backside, should prove a laugh with the most unlikely match-ups one could think.

Wulf

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 06:59:53 pm »
Impossible creatures was crap >.>

Offline dvalladt

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 03:07:00 pm »
Since I first heard about "Spore", I started thinking about a certain Spectrum game that was about evolution... I maybe played it almost 20 years ago so I don't remember the game mechanics proper, nor do I remember the name... all I remember is you got assigned a random creature that was nearly always spider-like, and you had to survive eating other creatures and avoiding the bigger ones... Almost like I imagine the Diablo-like part of "Spore" to be... Does anyone remember the game and/or its name?

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 05:20:21 pm »
Try here, maybe what you're looking for is buried somewhere there.
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/sgd.html

Offline Credendo

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 10:25:28 am »
You know I think the first thing I found I liked about spore is it reminded me of this old sim/game/screensaver/cheese/thing called primordial life you can download a version of it at http://www.io.com/~spofford/index.html it's very... interesting. It's basically a simulator of cellular life from the first part of Spore you don't controll the biots but you can influence their growth etc...
 I used to spend hours just staring at the screen watching species battle it out. Jason Spufford, the author open sourced the game on sourceforge and you can download all the stuff you need to build it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/primlife/ The version he has there is great, but I can't get the damn thing to build myself.... if ANYONE manages to get it built, PLEASE PLEASE

PLEASE!!!!!!

send me a copy of the binary, I love that thing :-)

Ryan
<tag0y> A UNIX saleslady, Lenore,
<tag0y> Enjoys work, but she likes the beach more.
<tag0y> She found a good way
<tag0y> To combine work and play:
<tag0y> She sells C shells by the seashore.

taken from bash.org because I can

Offline WeltallZero

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 03:27:16 pm »
You know I think the first thing I found I liked about spore is it reminded me of this old sim/game/screensaver/cheese/thing called primordial life you can download a version of it at http://www.io.com/~spofford/index.html it's very... interesting. It's basically a simulator of cellular life from the first part of Spore you don't controll the biots but you can influence their growth etc...

I tried it, but I think I like Gene Pool much better:
http://www.ventrella.com/GenePool/gene_pool.html
and it's totally free!

I used to spend hours just staring at the screen watching species battle it out. Jason Spufford, the author open sourced the game on sourceforge and you can download all the stuff you need to build it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/primlife/ The version he has there is great, but I can't get the damn thing to build myself.... if ANYONE manages to get it built, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!! send me a copy of the binary, I love that thing :-)

OK, I downloaded the sources and compiled a release version. It doesn't seem too stable (it fails when trying to display a particular biobot and options seem to overlap and stuff), and I don't feel like debugging it, but here it is anyway:
http://personal.auna.com/weltallzero/Stuff/PrimordialLife.zip

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 07:49:30 pm »
i remember that game, when I was playing it, I was always asking myself "when is something going to happen?" but it never did.
granted, I might have been to young to understand it, but it was a very 'meh' game.

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 10:35:22 pm »
This is some really great stuff you guys are digging up! I always liked EVO, but wished for something...more. I suppose that's how I got my game idea.

I'm sure there was some other Spore-ish game I've played before....but I can't remember what it was. =(

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 07:23:52 am »

That game was NOT crap. The single player sucked, but the online competition is very, uh, competitive. I was one of the top-ish players for quite a while before some new games came along.
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on