Author Topic: Games for Girls  (Read 8665 times)

Offline Jonosh

• Breakout Battler
  • Soon-to-be Spore Addict
    • View Profile
SV: Games for Girls
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2006, 01:17:23 pm »
I don't know many girls who are into gaming, but the few I know who likes to play games likes games like Monkey Island, The Longest Journey and Paper Mario. So I think that Adventure games and such can appeal to girls because of, as already said by someone else, the fact that you start to care about the characters.
I don't recall teleporting, but still, there I was, alone, naked...
-Morrowind

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
Re: Games for Girls
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2006, 07:49:15 pm »
Now if only guys on the internet could stop turning so many of them away  ;) But that is another topic entirely.
I'd really like to know what you mean by that... I really wouldn't mind if you elaborated on it a bit more.
Ramble impending.. you asked for it ;)

The same principles that govern male-female interaction in real life tend to translate into the online world, only in my experience, multiplied exponentially.

Initially, there is simply the tendency for males to spend time with other males, and females to spend time with other females. As the online gaming world is so predominantly male, on this level (though due to no action on anyone's part) already it is difficult for a woman to get into online gaming. I believe this much to be rather lucid, however. Along this same line of thought, is the tendency for males to say and act in manners they would not typically around members of the opposite sex. Because there are so few females playing online games, males tend to forget, or ignore, the fact that females might be, or are, present.

What is perhaps more subtle, but also more problematic, is the way males interact with females on a societal level. Primarily, the desire to seek out and pair up with a member of the opposite sex. I know that probably sounds silly, I certainly think it is, but bear with me. It is this desire, coupled with the nature of the social structure in question (predominantly male and stereotypically composed of those who fall on the less appealing end of the spectrum [subjective as it may be]), that create a fairly malignant problem. To put it as simply as possible, you end up with so many guys who are desperate, they end up throwing themself at any girl who finds her way into an online game. I think the sole factor to explain why this happens is that male-female interaction is significantly easier in anonymity, possibly coupled with the thought that the girl must have a greater chance of reciprocating the interest because of a shared hobby (gaming).

Beyond that, there is simply the wow factor (an appropriate label isn't coming to mind, I'm too sleepy). In essence, the astonishment that comes when a guy realizes a girl is playing an online game. Sometimes this leads to that which was described last paragraph, preferential treatment, disbelief, or rejection. Preferential treatment tends to cause rifts in gaming communities as a whole (the sensible guys, and less noticed girls, get upset about it). Disbelief comes when guys choose to not believe that a girl is who she says she is (tends to happen with the pretty ones, which often drives them away), and rejection when a girl isn't pretty enough (ironically, tending to drive away the other half of girls who game).

Of course, there are plenty of stand out guys in online gaming, unfortunately those who are guilty of that which has been detailed in the anteceding paragraphs, ruin things for everyone. Until those individuals who are guilty realize that their determinology is severely misfiring, consequently repelling those they wish to attract, the problem will persist, and very few women will end up in online gaming, and the communities that surround it.

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2006, 11:38:18 pm »
Now if only guys on the internet could stop turning so many of them away  ;) But that is another topic entirely.
I'd really like to know what you mean by that... I really wouldn't mind if you elaborated on it a bit more.
Ramble impending.. you asked for it ;)

The same principles that govern male-female interaction in real life tend to translate into the online world, only in my experience, multiplied exponentially.

Initially, there is simply the tendency for males to spend time with other males, and females to spend time with other females. As the online gaming world is so predominantly male, on this level (though due to no action on anyone's part) already it is difficult for a woman to get into online gaming. I believe this much to be rather lucid, however. Along this same line of thought, is the tendency for males to say and act in manners they would not typically around members of the opposite sex. Because there are so few females playing online games, males tend to forget, or ignore, the fact that females might be, or are, present.

What is perhaps more subtle, but also more problematic, is the way males interact with females on a societal level. Primarily, the desire to seek out and pair up with a member of the opposite sex. I know that probably sounds silly, I certainly think it is, but bear with me. It is this desire, coupled with the nature of the social structure in question (predominantly male and stereotypically composed of those who fall on the less appealing end of the spectrum [subjective as it may be]), that create a fairly malignant problem. To put it as simply as possible, you end up with so many guys who are desperate, they end up throwing themself at any girl who finds her way into an online game. I think the sole factor to explain why this happens is that male-female interaction is significantly easier in anonymity, possibly coupled with the thought that the girl must have a greater chance of reciprocating the interest because of a shared hobby (gaming).

Beyond that, there is simply the wow factor (an appropriate label isn't coming to mind, I'm too sleepy). In essence, the astonishment that comes when a guy realizes a girl is playing an online game. Sometimes this leads to that which was described last paragraph, preferential treatment, disbelief, or rejection. Preferential treatment tends to cause rifts in gaming communities as a whole (the sensible guys, and less noticed girls, get upset about it). Disbelief comes when guys choose to not believe that a girl is who she says she is (tends to happen with the pretty ones, which often drives them away), and rejection when a girl isn't pretty enough (ironically, tending to drive away the other half of girls who game).

Of course, there are plenty of stand out guys in online gaming, unfortunately those who are guilty of that which has been detailed in the anteceding paragraphs, ruin things for everyone. Until those individuals who are guilty realize that their determinology is severely misfiring, consequently repelling those they wish to attract, the problem will persist, and very few women will end up in online gaming, and the communities that surround it.

Yeah, I get what you mean now, specially since I've seen stuff like this play out a good couple of times when I used to play WoW. Guys who turned into complete ass-kissers once they found out that Female Troll was actually a Female in real life!! (I bet these types of situations where even more common on the Alliance side)

But really, a lot of it boils down to what people look for in a relationship. All that talk about "opposites attract" aside, many people really want someone who shares the same interests and beliefs as they do. The fact that a girl plays games already make them the "dream girl" in the eyes of many guys. Coupled with the fact that many guy also think that the best way to court a woman is to kiss their ass I can totally see this **** getting annoying really fast (especially considering the male/female ration present in most online games)

I had more I wanted to comment on but I've already been interrupted three times while writing this post so I've completely lost my train of thought...

Maybe a tutorial at the beginning of every MMO with do's and dont's of interaction with female players would help? =P
Currently playing:

Rocket Slime (DS)             Guitar Hero II (PS2)
Resistance (PS3)               Zelda (Wii)

So many good games, so little time...

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2006, 03:44:17 am »
:(

I played WoW for a while too. I don't really anymore, because it is such a sucky MMORPG. But there I also heard the story of a woman revealing her sexe on teamspeak after times of silence, the other people there came so out of control and lost it that the poor girl was pushed back into silence because of embarassement. Later, one of the leaders also told her not to speak on teamspeak because it would distract the guys too much.
Really, I'm all in for females playing more games in public, the more people play games, the merrier and the better it is for the games community as whole. Don't just stuff em in a corner because you don't know what else to do with em...

The main reason for this is because I see games in a use of a much bigger picture then relaxation and spendage of free time, which off course, is also deserved by female gamers. But I see games mainly as a platform for learning material, global communictation, societal statements(katamari) and that it again, slight by slight, decreases the borders of unknowing between different communities and sexes, which can lead for greater things in the world for anything.

Personal art galleries:

Offline Lizardbeth

• Atari Combat Vet
  • lizard people ftw!
    • View Profile
    • Iguana Girl Studios
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2006, 08:41:04 am »
I'm a female gamer, and I tend to lean more towards heavy story oriented games like RPG's, Sims, and Creation/Builder games.   Excitement for Spore asside, I play a lot of Blizzard strategy games (Warcraft 2 & 3, WoW, Starcaft... even played Diablo but wasn't into it as much), a good chunk of Maxis's Sim games (Sim City 2000, Sim Ant, Sim Farm, The Sims), FF X, and Second Life (100% player build & scripted content).   

I also like to be able to just vedge out and enjoy a game, and not have it be a rediculous struggle to complete (meaning I'll be more likely to play DDR or Katamari than Half Life or Grand Theft Auto); if I have to re-play a level more than 5 times and get frustrated trying to complete it, I tend to drift to something else.  Mario Sunshine was the ONLY exception to this that I can remember, but only because it's Mario and super happy anyway.  It's a game to me and it should be fun, and getting frustrated over a game means I really don't want to play it... meaning most level-based games, 1st person shooters, etc are gonna be high on my frustration meter.   Something like a RPG or Strategy game will take TIME to finish, but not necessarily high stress or quick reflexes so at most I'd have to re-do a level once before I go "ok, I have to go THIS way and use THIS unit  and THAT ability" before I get it.  I also don't like fighting games because, again, that relies on quick thumb coordination and the best I can do is mindless button mashing.   I played Super Smash Brothers for months on a regular basic, and got "good" with certain characters like Bowser and DK, but if you told me "ok, pull off X move here, followed by a roll-by and then Y move" I'd look at you like you had 3 heads.

Do I represent the typical female gamer?  Really, I don't know many girl gamers so I don't know.  All I do know is that 2 of my neighbors upstairs, both girls, will play nothing but Counterstrike and DoD.   So I dunno.
Lizard People FTW
http://www.lizardbeth.net