Author Topic: What to buy, what to buy...  (Read 2735 times)

Offline BaconIsGood4You

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
What to buy, what to buy...
« on: April 09, 2005, 07:21:38 pm »
Well I'm looking PC game. Leaning towards Silent Hunter III, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - Developers Cut, or (maybe) Max Payne 2. Only problem with Silent Hunter III is I don't have a DVD drive so I have to would have to get it off Direct2Drive.com. What say you!

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: What to buy, what to buy...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 12:17:52 am »
If you're interested in older PC games, I recommend System Shock 2 or the Marathon series.  Very cool FPSes with plots.  Marathon was done by Bungie and they did an awesome job.  System Shock 2 has a patch out there which updates the graphics and I'd suggest looking for it.  Other than that, I tend to like government games like Tropico, RTSes like Age of Empire and action games like the Fallout series.  The newest PC games I've bought are Pirates! Live the Life which was amazing and Evil Genius which was really fun if you liked the Dungeon Keeper series.  -leeman

Offline Cend

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 09:18:35 am »
System shock 2 has the bonus of being free as well (check out www.the-underdogs.org). Max Payne 2 is a great game, and has awesome atmosphere, but is also quite short. I found FarCry to be damn cool, mostly cause of the levels, but still a quite nice FPS.
"Perfection is just the perceived absence of flaws."
-Marvilber, on the subject of elves.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 07:42:41 pm »
System Shock 2 is a fantastic game, one of my favs of all time. Max Payne 2 is also fantastic, this game should have sold a lot better than it did. Marathon is/was an excellent game, and one of the only FPS games ever made only for the Mac (at first). I haven't played this one in years and years, but it is a Bungie game and if play these games you'll learn where most of the stuff in Halo came from.

In fact, one of my best friends is a HUGE FPS fan (it's pretty much all he plays) played all three Marathon games and then played Halo and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Halo is basically just a very updated Marathon game in a lot ways. I also felt the same way when Halo was first released. A very good game, but nothing amazingly new if you played the Marathon series.

What about Half Life 2? Did you play that yet? Or give Painkiller a try? Those a good FPS games.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Cend

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 01:01:15 pm »
Oh man, thanks Steve. Just realized I've still got a borrowed copy of Painkiller sitting here and I've been meaning to play it but totally forgot I even had it!! All I've seen is a friend fighting some huge boss 1000 times bigger then he was....looks pretty freaking cool and the weapons are all crazy.

Been playing Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines recently...really cool atmosphere in that game, although the combat system is nothing special and you're gonna want a whole hell of a lot of ram to play it. But pretty cool game.
"Perfection is just the perceived absence of flaws."
-Marvilber, on the subject of elves.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 01:03:49 pm »
Vampire is a good game, but has some serious graphical flaws, bugs, etc. and as you said the combat isn't great.  However it is very cool.  Shame about the memory leak though - but with 1gb of RAM that wasn't ever really a problem for me, obviously to others it might be though.  Selling it on eBay for 5 at the moment! 

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 08:59:34 am »
My brother brought me a really shady Russian version of Vampire that he got while in the Ukraine.  It was a little problematic until I hamfistedly found a way to bring up english controls and subtitles.  Gave the Prague part of the game some nice atmosphere having slavic voice acting.  Once it moved to America, it probably wouldn't have been as amusing.  -leeman