Author Topic: Upgrading for Oblivion  (Read 8911 times)

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
Upgrading for Oblivion
« on: February 24, 2006, 10:26:25 am »
Well for starters, here are the requirements for the game as well as some detailed information for upgrading:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=243592

So I guess people can post what they will be running or upgrading to for this amazing game.

I myself will be upgrading to 2gb of RAM, and I need to buy a new Vid card since my GeForce FX 5200 is now a "low-end" card. I have the oppurtunity of getting an ATI x800xl for pretty cheap from my work, or keep looking. Does anyone know of any problems with the x800xl's?

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading for Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:32:03 am »
Why don't you just buy a 360 for less money?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 10:39:34 am »
Why don't you just buy a 360 for less money?

Morrowind on Xbox sucked more then I can explain. It was horrible. This game will be way better on PC IMO, but I guess we won't know for sure until Steve's podcast.

Anway, I'm not buying a 360 until the price drops, it is packaged with a game, and they have their bugs worked out.

Edit: And besides, it will be cheaper to buy a gig of RAM, and this video card then to get a 360.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 11:15:56 am »
i agree, i wouldn't even think about getting a 360 without it being packaged with a game. It's just a show of being greedy that you have to buy a game after the system, and maybe even having to get another controller on top of it. I am interested in Oblivion though, as Morrowind was the reason i got the xbox in the first place.

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline Snapple

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 11:21:01 am »
thats nice but you dont need a crazy system for oblivion, im only gonna get another 512mb of ram
Dentists should not have to learn about lactation

Twiggs

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 11:44:20 am »
Get Oblivion, see how it runs, and then see about upgrading.  Although New video cards are awesome.  See what will help the most.

Minimum requirements for the win!

But I don't upgrade for one game, ever.  I wait till a majority of the good games refuse to run on my hardware.

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 11:47:22 am »
Well I kind of have that excuse.

Empire at War works great, but the moment I turn the V-sinc (I think thats what its called, the smoothing out edges option) it slows to a hault, The Sims 2 even slows down with the graphics maxed, so I feel I can upgrade.

Anyway, the vid card is free-$100, and the ram is cheap and will last me a few years. It's an investment.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 11:48:14 am »
Also, if you get Morrowind on PC, you get access to the construction kit and the mod community with their crazy ideas.

I'll take a moment to boast about my own computer.
My previous computer failed somewhere. It'd power up, but no picture would come on the screen. I'd even wait for the windows start up noise, but there was nothing. So, I decided to make a huge leap from crap computer to an awesome one (my old one was pretty damn low-end).
It all started when I put that new graphics card (listed below) in my previous computer, which was intended as an upgrade for Oblivion. A day later... deadcomp.
Oh well.

So, here are my new specs for my new machine.

AMD Athlon 64 Dual X2 Core Processor 3800+
1 GB RAM (nice motherboard to boot, with 4 RAM slots)
250 GB SATA hard drive
BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS (256 MB RAM)
DVD Burner (nice and fast, it's been slow until now)
Nice big black case, well ventilated (unlike my last one, which was always warm) and built-in power supply (350w)
Realtek AC97 Audio (onboard surround sound card)

Also swiped my old computer's 40 GB hard drive and A drive.

Only problems I've had is that my processor seems to overprocess stuff. Flash Player crashes, Simcity 4 was in hyper speed (which I fixed), MIDIs would be out of beat... all this sort of stuff would happen until I would set the affinity to the process each time it was loaded. It's a pain, but oh well.

This system isn't entirely for Oblivion though (but it's gonna run hella sweet). I needed a new one anyway so I figured I'd spring for something powerful for a change, rather than get some refurbished cheapie heap from Future Shop. Also, I wanted to be a little more prepared for future games.
Not so much an upgrade as it is just getting a new computer. But whatever.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 04:02:52 am by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Djfinny

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 12:09:58 pm »
Morrowind on Xbox sucked more then I can explain. It was horrible.

It really was pretty bad for the Xbox - could it take any longer to load a game or a new area? The PC version was amazing.

I think I should be able to run it on the rig I bought last year.

Pentium D 840
2GB 533MHz RAM
Raedon X850 XT 256meg PCI-e Platinum video card
RAID 0 SATA duel 160GB Hard Drives

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 12:15:05 pm »
It really was pretty bad for the Xbox - could it take any longer to load a game or a new area?  The PC version was amazing. 

I doubt that's going to be a problem with the 360, with it's 16 GB of processing power. I could be very, very wrong, though.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Twiggs

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 12:37:16 pm »
What's a Pentium D 840 in relation to a p4?

I'm out of theloop in such things as I havent upgraded for a while.  My machine is adequate.

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
  • If those flies loose their eyes, we are in trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 03:29:15 pm »
It really was pretty bad for the Xbox - could it take any longer to load a game or a new area? The PC version was amazing.

I doubt that's going to be a problem with the 360, with it's 16 GB of processing power. I could be very, very wrong, though.
That does sound very, very wrong...
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline FoxSpirit

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 02:29:45 am »
Indeed  ;D

And, TheShark, the edge smoothing is called anti-aliasing. I never leave home without 2x, preferably 4x  8)

Gauphastus, you are VERY wrong to pick a 6800GS with that system. 1GB RAM and a 3800 DualCore? You should've saved on the processor and gotten a better graphics card. On the positive side, you won't have to fear a new graphics card to be bogged down by the rest of your system for quite some time  ;)
Cellphone ringtones, the Chinese water-torture of our time.

Offline Djfinny

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 05:49:00 am »
What's a Pentium D 840 in relation to a p4?

The Pentium D is still a P4 CPU but a step up for the HT or "Hyper Threading" models. The D stands for "Duel Core" which basically means that you can run several applications at once and get better performance. The 840 is the 3.2Ghz or 3.4Ghz chip (I forget now which one).

Offline soulfire777

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 06:44:09 am »
I had trouble about 3 years ago with Radeon drivers not playing correctly with several games.

I knew several other people (besides me) who could not get NWN to run properly on their radeon cards for several months after it released, for example.  There were a few other games like that from the same time period, and I saw a lot of complaints on bulletin boards about ATI driver problems a while back.  Black and White 2 recently had problems on ATI cards too.

I always buy Nvidia now.  Geforce 6800XT 256MB from NewEgg.com is only $119 after rebate right now for example.  I'd get one of those if you want an inexpensive card to run Oblivion and still have pixel shader 3.0 effects.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 06:52:00 am by soulfire777 »