Author Topic: Slavery  (Read 22382 times)

Offline Anony

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Slavery
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2008, 10:10:56 pm »
There are plenty of "tastefull ways" they could put slave labor in if they wanted too.  However, I'd only be for it if they made it an opportunity to highlight at least a few of it's problems.

Simple things, like slave rebelions, would be interesting and add depth to the choice.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2008, 06:14:06 am »
i think slavery is a great idea for the game.

lets face it, in somthing as detatched from reality as spore, slavery or indeed many serious subjects such as genocide or anything can be shown while offending only the fewest idiots.
Never mind your own business.

Offline Sasha

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2008, 06:18:24 am »
Enslaving races might fall under a term called racism (duh)

Ancient Greece and Rome had as the vital element of their society: Slaves. And they were white, the slaves, many were, yes.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2008, 06:47:22 am »
different type #########, the hated the slaves because of their nationality, language and cultire which is just as bad.

the greeks considered slavery fine aslong as the slaves weren't greek, thats why when the spartans (who had no racist ideals apart from Sparta > everywhere else) enslaved fellow greeks on a massive scale the rest of greece was horrified.
Never mind your own business.

Offline ARCosta

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Ki
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2008, 06:49:21 am »
i think slavery is a great idea for the game.

lets face it, in somthing as detatched from reality as spore, slavery or indeed many serious subjects such as genocide or anything can be shown while offending only the fewest idiots.

Yeah i think i would like some slavery in the game, even if it was me against it.
Green grin

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2008, 07:53:17 am »
I've been thinking (yea I know, me thinking?!?!) and realized: is there really a difference between slavery and domestication? If we trained animals to work like slaves isn't that basically the same thing as having sentient things doing the work, isn't it?

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2008, 07:59:42 am »
I've been thinking (yea I know, me thinking?!?!) and realized: is there really a difference between slavery and domestication? If we trained animals to work like slaves isn't that basically the same thing as having sentient things doing the work, isn't it?

No. It's not the same because Sentient beings are Sentient. That's a type of argument PETA would use (and everyone knows PETA are nothing more than a bunch of fear mongering Eco-Terrorists) for "Animal Rights". I love animals. I could never be one of those who abuses animals. That, however, does not mean I'd not make them work for me. It's not like they don't get anything out of it. They get cared for, feed, and loved. Sentient life is unique, and slavery of a sentient species is amoral because sentience and (human) "intelligence" is considered special.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2008, 08:01:31 am »
0goober0, go back and read the sentient/sapient arguments.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline 0goober0

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2008, 08:13:27 am »

No. It's not the same because Sentient beings are Sentient. That's a type of argument PETA would use (and everyone knows PETA are nothing more than a bunch of fear mongering Eco-Terrorists) for "Animal Rights". I love animals. I could never be one of those who abuses animals. That, however, does not mean I'd not make them work for me. It's not like they don't get anything out of it. They get cared for, feed, and loved. Sentient life is unique, and slavery of a sentient species is amoral because sentience and (human) "intelligence" is considered special.
right, but for us slavery is only our race. In spore we would be enslaving other races which is a big difference. I'm not saying that it would be right to enslave other races, just that whenplaying the game people wouldn't think of it as wrong because it doesn't hit as close to home.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2008, 08:14:36 am »
It's because sentient beings includes anything with senses, and sapient only refers to races that are intelligent.  And slavery counts for sapient, not sentient.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Spore-addict

• Kaboom Boomer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2008, 08:18:34 am »
In the center of the universe, a race called chuck norris is placed.

It will spread all over the universe roundhouse kicking every one...GG
Master Raytracer Spore-addict = KarmaCowboy

See you out there, feel free to comment my creatures.

Offline Classeye

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2008, 09:35:29 am »
well as I understand it, in the tribal phase, if you go around destroying other tribe's huts, you are conquering them and they become a part of your tribe (probably against their will) and they start working for you like any other villager. Isn't this in a sense slavery?

But i guess maxis will find a way to include it without making seem so bad. I mean just look at the bubble blower from the sims. 

Offline Holiace

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Leader of Tuerero
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2008, 09:46:30 am »
well as I understand it, in the tribal phase, if you go around destroying other tribe's huts, you are conquering them and they become a part of your tribe (probably against their will) and they start working for you like any other villager. Isn't this in a sense slavery?

But i guess maxis will find a way to include it without making seem so bad. I mean just look at the bubble blower from the sims. 

I don't see that as slavery since they are a part of your tribe and not just slaves.
Victor 6om6a, the Leader of the Tuerero system (http://www.sporewiki.com/Content:Tuerero)

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2008, 09:49:46 am »
That's more like conquering rather than slavery.
Adoption if you will, well...forced adoption >.>
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline NettiWelho

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Its thar nettiwelho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2008, 02:03:25 pm »
IMO i'd use robots for hard labor rather than slaves if i was an evil overlord in control of a galactic empire, no risk of revolt, also more productive

then the pre-space perioid is a diffrent story..