Author Topic: Slavery  (Read 22356 times)

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Slavery
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 01:27:26 pm »
My only concern about adding slavery is that it might not add enough "fun" for it to be worth the negativity. War, for example, is negative but plays a key role in the game's mechanics. If "slavery" played a big enough role in the game and the addition made it more fun, then it'd be worth it.

You could also avoid much of the negativity by simply avoiding the term "slavery." For example, say you needed to gather resources from a planet that had a harsh environment, perhaps you could hire a species more suited for that type of work to do it for you. Then you could pay them piss-poor wages, keeping them on the brink of revolt. Essentially, you'd get your slaves, but wouldn't technically be slaves.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2006, 01:38:17 pm »
I don't think there are that many negatives to it. In Rome: Total War, when you capture a settlement, you can choose from 3 options: Exterminate populace, enslave populace, do nothing with populace. I know that ancient Rome actually did have slaves, so it's probably more appropriate there than it is here, but Spore wouldn't be about just slaves and slave trade. That would be an afterthought while traversing the galaxy, and I really don't think anyone would mind it too much. If they do mind, then they don't have to enslave. If they STILL mind, then they're just looking for something to be angry at, so screw 'em.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 01:59:04 pm »
Well if you guys are still intrested in this subject... Last time I watched the GDC video I am about 80% sure I heard Will say that after you create a species you will only be able to control that species on that planet. So you could possibly have others like you as slaves but not other races. Anyone else hear this?
Once your species evolves to sentience, no other species will do so on your planet.
Slavery is very far from war and evolution on the PC scale. I highly doupt it'll be a part of this game.
Slavery had a lot to do with war for quite some time. Winner takes all.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2006, 01:59:34 pm »
I see your point. And the more I think about the more I agree that it wouldn't be that bad. And your point about giving the player the choice is good one. It's not like you'd have to enslave species to get by. Those moral decisions are a staple in these sandbox style games.

You'd need to balance that off somehow. If having slaves is "bad" and not having slaves is "neutral", you'd need a "good" equivalent. Maybe that would come in the form of rescueing slaves from different planets.

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 02:05:36 pm »
Slavery had a lot to do with war for quite some time. Winner takes all.

Well, yes. But in the context of a game, war is the fun part. If you don't have the mechanics to justify having slavery then you'll just be risking alienating people.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 02:10:45 pm »
Cheap labor = more war machines = more war = the fun part.
Or really big buildings for no apparent reason.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 02:29:13 pm »
lol True enough.

And there is quite a bit of history of slavery in sci-fi (especially 50s pulp). Just playing devil's advocate.

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 04:29:10 pm »
Slavery would just be a more creative way to exterminate a population without just needlessly wasting them.

Think of it: Pikachu slaves
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2006, 04:30:12 pm »
Think of it: Pikachu slaves

They're like a breeding power source... Sweet!
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 08:36:34 am »
Email to Wright says:

Quote from: Me
Slavery: Yes or no?
Quote from:
Sort of, if you capture another races space colony.

So it looks like there will be interspecies slavery, just like I had hoped. Now that slavery has been confirmed, to what extent do you think it can be used? What are the advantages of slavery as opposed to regular labor?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline KroBua

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2006, 12:23:01 pm »
Email to Wright says:

Quote from: Me
Slavery: Yes or no?
Quote from:
Sort of, if you capture another races space colony.

So it looks like there will be interspecies slavery, just like I had hoped. Now that slavery has been confirmed, to what extent do you think it can be used? What are the advantages of slavery as opposed to regular labor?

This is a good question.  If you use slaves, will you yourself evolve less?  I mean if making the slaves do the work they will be the ones that get stronger, while you get...? Smarter?  Maybe it will be just a different way to go like Will said some would go Industrial and others more spiritual, maybe this will be like going more controlling and brains instead of more hard work and muscles for your own race.
Alright maybe slavery will be OK, it sounds like it can be just another thing that makes this game that much more intresting.

Ug, I got a stupid pink unicorn, hope next is better.

Offline Holiace

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Leader of Tuerero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 01:49:01 pm »
I was just about to make a new thread but I found this so I though I'd use it instead of making a new one.

It would be really awesome to have "slave planets" and slave cities! Wealth and many other profits ^^ I strive towards total power with one of the evil creatures.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:55:07 pm by Holiace »
Victor 6om6a, the Leader of the Tuerero system (http://www.sporewiki.com/Content:Tuerero)

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 01:58:27 pm »
Like Kessel, in the star wars universe? Spice mines included.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 02:05:42 pm »
I don't know....

The idea of slavery in the game just rubs me the wrong way :-\.
Not to mention that it's highly unlikely for the Spore team to insert the concept of slavery into the game. Besides slavery, digital or in RL, is cruel and unjust....
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Holiace

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Leader of Tuerero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2008, 02:13:18 pm »
I don't know....

The idea of slavery in the game just rubs me the wrong way :-\.
Not to mention that it's highly unlikely for the Spore team to insert the concept of slavery into the game. Besides slavery, digital or in RL, is cruel and unjust....

Yup, it is. It's evil and all but I just think it would be interesting since it's also a way success...
Victor 6om6a, the Leader of the Tuerero system (http://www.sporewiki.com/Content:Tuerero)