Author Topic: Slavery  (Read 24399 times)

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
Re: Slavery
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2008, 04:15:05 pm »
Well I'm definitely going for the cruel dictator approach to the game.

If slavery is possible, I'll be frontlining it, along with mass genocide etc.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline Holiace

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Leader of Tuerero
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2008, 04:22:19 pm »
Well I'm definitely going for the cruel dictator approach to the game.

If slavery is possible, I'll be frontlining it, along with mass genocide etc.

Oh yes, also kill every other chance of live in your own solar system once you can  ;D
Victor 6om6a, the Leader of the Tuerero system (http://www.sporewiki.com/Content:Tuerero)

Offline xirtap

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2008, 05:02:38 am »
IMO i'd use robots for hard labor rather than slaves if i was an evil overlord in control of a galactic empire, no risk of revolt, also more productive

then the pre-space perioid is a diffrent story..

I'd rather enslave every creature I meet. If they revolt I'll just exterminate them. If I can't take slaves, I'll just exterminate them.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2008, 06:18:58 am »
Er...Nice plan :-\?

*Edit*

Wow can't believe this is still being talked about.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:25:11 am by Yttrxium »
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇エ)人(エ∇`)人(`∇エ)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2008, 07:57:44 am »
Is there any confirmation about slavery?
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2008, 11:44:00 am »
According to the data hidden in the creature creator:

* There was no mention of slavery.

* Whichever species reaches sentience first (i.e. the tribe stage) is the only one to reach it.

* In the tribe stage you can domesticate non-sentient animals (which provide you with food, i.e. eggs)

* in the tribe stage you can kidnap the babies of other tribes. Presumably to increase your population at the expense of the other tribe's.

* in the civ stage you can conquer other cities, in a bunch of different ways, but they are all your species, and there doesn't seem to be a distinction afterwards.

* In the space stage you can conquer other species, but it's not really clear to me how the conquered are integrated into your empire.

Offline Allch Chcar

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • City of Refuge
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2008, 05:39:42 pm »
Kidnapping? That's pretty far out there.

Although this does shine a light on the considerations of eating other sentient life. Is it considered cannibalism? Or exotic tastes?[j/k]
It probably depends on whether your creature has any respect for other creatures. Meaning no one else will respect your creatures except for fear of meeting them.
Species issues aside, Maxis won't benefit from controversial behavior like Rockstar does. So I believe it was already mentioned that you could conquer other creature's cities and the city would join your empire. It's probably kept really simple for the benefit of simplicity. Wright is on a dumbing down fest after Simcity Societies. I don't doubt he'll make Spore as simple as Societies to keep the learning curve down.

Necrobumper...
No Ph34r.
~ |CoR| Sgt-Allch Chcar*XP*

Offline Harvestfreak

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Just Flying By
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2008, 05:46:41 pm »
If this game includes Slavery I would be the first ones to use it.

Just imagine, a new planet I discovered with a very primitive race, your race and my Bajn warriors, have gotten so greedy that they need a new pyramid built in honor of them. So what would any race do, ENSLAVE the race, and make them build our 300,000th pyramid.

AWESOME!!!

SLAVERY FTW

Reminds me of the game Evil Genius.

Offline eleazar

• Revenging Yar
    • View Profile
    • my spore creatures
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2008, 06:05:23 pm »
Cannibalism is eating your own kind.  It's used to describe animal species that eat their own kind, as well as humans.
Though if we actually met another sapient species, we might have to redefine the word, or coin a new one.

Kidnapping? That's pretty far out there.

When you consider the alternative is:

1) make the babies magically disappear when you conquer the tribe, or
2) kill the babies

... kidnapping seems relatively logical and humane.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2008, 06:27:16 pm »
Killing babies certainly wouldn't fly with the public, even if it does happen in the animal world >.>
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇エ)人(エ∇`)人(`∇エ)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2008, 06:49:40 pm »
I dont get whats so horrible about killing baby animals in the game? why is everyone making such a big deal of it? its not like its real or anything. And theyre not even real animals, theyre user created aliens.

Offline Crowster

• Defender Devotee
  • It's Crow-Time, Baby!
    • View Profile
    • The Adventures of Crow-Man
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2008, 07:05:39 pm »
Wright is on a dumbing down fest after Simcity Societies. I don't doubt he'll make Spore as simple as Societies to keep the learning curve down.

Wright had absolutely nothing to do with Simcity Societies. I don't mean that in the "he didn't have anything to do with Sims 2" way, where he was only briefly consulted on some issues, but rather in the, "Maxis did not work on this game in the slightest."

Maxis had their hands full with The Sims and Spore, respectively, so the rights to a new SimCity game was given to Tilted Mill, who tried to take the franchise in a whole new direction. Now, I haven't played SimCity Societies, but after reading extensively about it, it sounds like they tried to give it a very "Sims 2" atmosphere, stripped away all the really in depth features that the hardcore SimCity fans loved, and made it about as enthralling as putting a party hat on your pet turtle and going, "Aaawww, isn't it cuuuute? ^_^"

Slavery is an interesting idea. Still, I don't really see how different it would be from controlling the citizens of a conquered tribe. It seems like the kind of thing that the user could easily set up without it being an actual gameplay mechanic. Citizens are given jobs, just give all the conquered tribesmen a "worker" job, and change their outfits to reflect that. It wouldn't be perfect, I don't know if the other members of your tribe will treat them any differently, as they would an actual slave, but on a storytelling perspective, it wouldn't be that hard to set up I wouldn't think.

I dont get whats so horrible about killing baby animals in the game? why is everyone making such a big deal of it? its not like its real or anything. And theyre not even real animals, theyre user created aliens.

You know, if it was in there, I wouldn't really give it a second thought. I get a little floored, though, when people actually COMPLAIN that it's not in there. They are aliens, but still ... they are babies. Complaining that you can't kill the young of a rival tribe is just silly. Also, remember, this is the tribal phase we're talking about. They have reached intelligence, and so, at this point, are more comparable to humans than animals. Not saying they are HUMAN, per se, but they aren't really "animals" anymore either, unless you're going by the biological definition. If that's the case, then humans are animals too, and even the GTA games, a series of games that let you kill people at will, won't allow their games to portray the killing of human children.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 07:07:14 pm by Crowster »

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2008, 03:22:54 am »
Well, in Bioshock you can kill little children.. :P
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline plastik

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2008, 09:20:23 am »
Well they aren't exactly friendly children.. lol

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2008, 09:37:20 am »
more like possessed demon children lol
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy