Author Topic: The not new creature. The Cryoeltan.  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
The not new creature. The Cryoeltan.
« on: February 21, 2006, 03:15:31 pm »
On Hydros suggestion I'm going to document the history of the Cryoeltans with pictures and so forth. I'll upload some pics tommorow but for now heres a concise version of cryoeltan history:

The cryoeltans are a sillicon based life form on a planet of silicon based life forms. Starting out as primitive droplets of matter floating in the sea, they eventually developed a shell and gas bladders and began to float on top of, and eventually over, the sea they came from. It was some time after this event they were uplifted by an alien intelligence so far known only as The Benefactors. This process caused the cryoeltans to develop patches of crystals which functioned as both brain and sense organ. They also emmitted light in bright bursts and gained the ability to photosynthesise energy storage molecules.
The fledgling species then evolved larger gas bladders and acended even higher into the skies of their planet. At this altitude they naturally gathered around 'Plantforms', gigantic plant-like organisms up to several kilometers across with huge gas bladders. These platforms served as asubstitute for terra firma and supported diverse ecosystems.
It was on these plantforms that the cryoeltans first reached sapience.

Thats all for today. Stay tuned for more... or you can trawl through pages and pages of posts in the forum games section.   

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
Re: The not new creature. The Cryoeltan.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 04:04:20 pm »
I missed those guys... very cool design. There was some sort of vote, wasn't there?

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 04:09:53 pm »
the story is still going on in the forum games, Krakow was just putting a summary up here.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 10:18:22 am »
Ok, Heres the first pic of a Cryoeltan (drawn in Powerpoint... its the only program i can ever get decent results in):

Here we see an early tribal age Cryoeltan using a primitive lens to heat up a rock for some reason. The arms with three fingered hands are clearly visible. The Large lump of crystal on the front is its eye/brain. All cryoeltans develop a sail like structure which circles their body. This is a vestigial relic of a time when they floated freely in the air, they now pull themselves along the ground using their arms and the claw-like limbs on the other side, the sial is removed at an early age and does not grow back.
Now on with the History: Some time before reaching sapience the cryoeltans were plagued by a race of huge black cricket-like insectoids, they are however driven away from the cryoeltans for a while by the arrival of a monolith from space. free from the constant bug attacks the cryoeltans band together into loose groups and eventually form a society. A quirk of the exposed crystal brain is that two placed in close proximity (actually touching) will communicate between themselves and act as one. the Cryoeltans exploit this when doing serious thinking and decision making and is refered to as the formation of 'think-tanks'. However there is no concept of a hive mind, the Cryoeltans value individuality.
The 'modern' species cryoeltans posses the ability to emmit very intense bursts of light from the lump of crystals on their front, at low intensities these are used to communicate, at mid intensities to dazzle and confuse and at high inensities (enhanced by lenses) to physically wound attackers. As such the Cryoeltan science of choice has always been optics. Their knowledge of the behavior of light and the actions of prisms and lenses is unsurpassed by any known culture or race.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 10:27:15 am »

Flashing forward, here we see a pre-space age (before the Cryoeltans actually had interstellar travel, not before they reached space at all) city guard. I based the design partly on the combine metropol from Half-life 2... luckily the cryoeltan metropol arent the cybernetically enhanced enforcers of alien invaders and are in fact a highly respected and admired body of Cryoeltans.
This guard wears synthetic armour made of a tough and highly energy resistant polymer and wields a tazer staff powered by the light he emmits inside the suit. To allow movement despite the heavy weight, the suit is equipped with two side-mounted fans to propel the officer forward as he patrols the streets of the great floating Metropoli of the modern Cryoeltan civilisation.
To tackle miscreants at range, his red, circular eyepiece automatically focuses on whatever he looks at so he can deliver a high-precision lightblast.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 03:36:33 am »
wow. NOTHING like i imagined what the cryoeltans would look like.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 03:11:17 pm »
Oh really? What did you expect them to be like? I guess the problem is that everyones had ages to form a mental image. But its my thread so this is the 'official' cryoeltan. Feel free to post your own interpertations though.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 03:50:57 pm »

Same here... I pictured floating crystalline balls, with arms.

the sail is removed at an early age and does not grow back.
And why does this remind me so much of circumsision?
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 03:52:52 pm »

Same here... I pictured floating crystalline balls, with arms.

the sail is removed at an early age and does not grow back.
And why does this remind me so much of circumsision?
Its is a ball with arms... but it isnt totally covered in crystals. The shell is more brittle than the crystal which its brain and limbs are made of.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 09:08:21 pm »
Feel free to post your own interpertations though.

I would if i could draw.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 05:40:42 am »

This is an early tribal cryoeltan. All cryoeltans carry a staff of some sort to aid movement without a sail, they use it to push themselves along the ground. Tied over his crystal is a primitive lens which focuses the light he emits so it can be put to better use defeating enemies or welding things together.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 11:47:34 pm »
Any new pictures, or did you forget about this thread too?  :D
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 12:14:44 am »
Meh, I cant be arsed. The ViS are easier to draw anyway :P

Offline ShadowEagle

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 09:00:24 am »
Hi, I'm new to gaming Steve's forum. i know you don't have any 3d views for your critter and i made one of it in its earlier stage in evolution. not sure that it matches you 2d/text description but this is what i thought it would look like (i made the model quick so not best of quality)

Shadow

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 09:31:54 am »
Wow! Umm. That kind of came out of nowhere. Great job. Not exactly as I imagined it but its still great, it looks like it could fit and everything.
Welcome to the forums by the way :P