Author Topic: Asking again... spacecraft  (Read 3950 times)

Offline BmB23

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Asking again... spacecraft
« on: February 21, 2006, 06:09:25 am »
Will there be other spacecraft than the UFO?

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
Re: Asking again... spacecraft
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 06:10:47 am »
As far as we understand, No, but it's completely customizable so you can make it look like whatever.

"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 08:18:02 am »
yea it will be, although the one in the GDC vid was just a stereotype 'flying saucer' UFO, supposedly you can make yours look like goku, although I think some could be tempted to make one that looks like a pokemon.

also, didn't we see an UFO editor in the GDC vid or not? I'd look myself but I'm not sure if I have the time to look for it right now.

Offline Rct2mad

• Ultima Lord
  • =)
    • View Profile
    • Spore-Galore (Link may not work)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:22:57 am »
Im not sure, I think he did but skimmed through at hyper-speed (again)

Offline Henqix

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 08:44:03 am »
He didn't show the editor for the UFO but he said there was one, Its probably the same as the vehicle editor.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 09:35:28 am »
the only thing that suggests space vehicles is trading was mentioned... now whether or not actual ships do the trading or if its a simple numbers thing I don't know.

A major point against it was in how he traveled in the demo, it was pretty much click on star/planet... I'm there.  Without any travel perhaps there is no space really, it could just be a bunch of click able icons so to say.

Then again it was a demo so who knows?

In conclusion:  I have said nothing.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Evil Lil Spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 11:48:56 am »
For me, space battles must be in the game. I want to continue the fights at UFO level, not just play galatic god. Also, enemy sentient creatures at space level could develope anti nucular devises, stopping their worlds from being blown up. I want to see frigates, capital ships, bombers, ect. like almost a starwars level. With this the game now has (as described by Will) pacman/ diablo/ populas/ civilization/ and now starwars & intergalatic god. Just adds a whole new  element to the game, simply by adding only about 4-5 kinds of spaceships. Dosen't really seem that hard to do.

That being said, right now I don't think they are doing this, which seems a shame to me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 12:35:32 pm »
"Doesnt seem that hard to do" Are you kidding? I dont have any experience programming and I can figure out how ridiculous that idea is. The people which do have experience coding must be having fits :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Evil Lil Spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 01:06:33 pm »
Actually, I have no idea how hard it would be. However, they already have vehicles that shoot at eachother. Let them fly in space instead of on the ground, and change their projectile animation, and it seems pretty much done. Concidering their shape would be editable by players.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 01:21:35 pm »
Bzzzz! Incorrect.
a) there are more variables to consider, space is not the same as dogfighting planes
b) if they just did that then the 'Star Wars stage' so called would seem crappy and ruin the experience.

Offline Evil Lil Spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 01:24:11 pm »
So, if they were to put the time needed into adding space battles, you think that it would make the game worse?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 01:29:29 pm »
No, if they put more time into space battles the game would get a tiny bit better and would be scheduled for release in summer 2008. If they did what you suggested then the rest of the game would stay the same but the space stage would get worse.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 02:55:57 pm by Krakow Sam »

Offline Elyas

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 02:07:47 pm »
I'm sure that the first of seven expansion packs will be for space.   

Offline Slyght

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 02:54:23 pm »
Liks somebody mentioned earlier, it seems once you get out past the planet level, you don't really see your ship anymore.  That doesn't mean there won't be space battles, but we just don't really know at this point.  We do know your spaceship can battle with things on the planet.  It's been implied/speculated that you can be enemies with other civilizations, so maybe there will be fighting.

The fact of the matter is we just don't know.

And yes, Krakow Sam, this entire board gives me fits every time sometime somebody suggests that "it can't be that hard" to add this or that feature to a game.  People imagine that procedural content is some magical box that just makes the game for the developers.  Procedural content only makes the content (the creatures, buildings, planets, etc).  There's a LOT of really really complex code that goes into this that makes it easy for the end user to create content.  Don't be fooled that Will Wright discovered some easy way to make games as a whole, only content.  All these features have to be coded up by the developers, and yes, they take time.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 03:50:33 pm »
yea it will be, although the one in the GDC vid was just a stereotype 'flying saucer' UFO, supposedly you can make yours look like goku, although I think some could be tempted to make one that looks like a pokemon.

also, didn't we see an UFO editor in the GDC vid or not? I'd look myself but I'm not sure if I have the time to look for it right now.

I'll have to make a UFO that looks like a giant flying baby.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.