Author Topic: Episode 39 Posted  (Read 6580 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Episode 39 Posted
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:06:08 pm »
Today I got a change to sit down with Pete Hines, Vice President of Public Relations & Marketing at Bethesda Softworks and makers of the highly anticipated The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Pete and I talk for well over an hour and cover a huge number of topics ranging from the basic to the hardcore questions that the fans wanted me to ask.

Find out how the Oblivion Xbox 360 achievements and downloadable content will work, Pete reveals a secret in-game "easter egg", new details on the Radiant AI system, as well as what's next for the Elder Scrolls series. We even manage to sneak in a few questions on Fallout 3, the new Star Trek license, as well as much more. Enjoy!

Gaming Steve Episode 39 Program
  • 00:01:57  Interview with Pete Hines from Bethesda, makers of the upcoming The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
  • 01:20:15  My thoughts on the game itself and a small tidbit from next week's detailed on-hands preview of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Get the Podcast from this page (85 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 39 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
Vote for Gaming Steve on Podcast Alley.

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 39 Posted
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 09:07:05 pm »
Damn you!

Now I have to download a freaking podcast!

::)
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 09:08:50 pm »
Damn you!

Now I have to download a freaking podcast!

::)

Download complete! ;D I'm not going to listen tonight though, maybe tomorrow.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 10:00:14 pm »
I listen now because I am impatient and am done with my final. ;)

EDIT:Wow, just half way in, and this is probably the best interview of the game ever. Thank you Steve, I am not as cynical about the game any more.

EDIT:EDIT:I just finished this. If this is going to be the first podcast of yours that the Elder Scroll's Forum hears, they are in for a real treat. :)

EDIT:EDIT:EDIT:  http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241558&st=140  some are already voicing how much they like it.

I thought the recent podcast was good, but this one was amazing. Much better questions, with better answers. I can't tell you how great this interview was. I'll be listening to it... a lot.
He was refering to the neocast one.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 12:07:13 am by Mr. Wizard »

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 12:37:59 am »
So, on the front page comments there... who's this guy named Private, and why's he all mad?

EDIT: Oh, yeah. Great interview. Huge thanks to Steve, and also to Pete.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 12:47:04 am by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 02:33:27 am »
So, on the front page comments there... who's this guy named Private, and why's he all mad?

Apparantly there wasn't supposed to be any media coverage on Oblivion until the end of the week. I don't know about the embargo myself, but if 'Private' is correct then that includes any new information related to Oblivion. Basically, is Steve really did screw up, the embargo potentially means (as far as I know) that Bethesda, their publisher, and possibly even anyone else (other Publishers) are likely to snuff him on any more "inside" scoops / events. In practice... Well, it all depends on who you are, really. My guess is Steve has enough connections that if he is indeed at fault, he'll get a slap on wrist and be warned for next time (otherwise it really sucks, considering that E3 is coming up, and a media boycott there is like death).

In any case, Steve releases his podcasts at the beginning of every week, and if Bethesda just stamped this on at the last minute, then Steve would have had nothing to show for the week otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 02:35:19 am by RealmRPGer »

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 02:58:38 am »
I'm still listening, but I've heard most of it. Lots of good stuff, and I had a couple questions answered. I don't currently plan on getting a 360, but the info about the accomplishments is not what I was expecting, and I think it's too bad. I don't really think private has much of a pedestal, but hopefully no posts will pop up that will reveal any info that may get Steve in trouble. ;)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 04:50:37 am »

Apparantly there wasn't supposed to be any media coverage on Oblivion until the end of the week. I don't know about the embargo myself, but if 'Private' is correct then that includes any new information related to Oblivion. Basically, is Steve really did screw up, the embargo potentially means (as far as I know) that Bethesda, their publisher, and possibly even anyone else (other Publishers) are likely to snuff him on any more "inside" scoops / events. In practice... Well, it all depends on who you are, really. My guess is Steve has enough connections that if he is indeed at fault, he'll get a slap on wrist and be warned for next time (otherwise it really sucks, considering that E3 is coming up, and a media boycott there is like death).

In any case, Steve releases his podcasts at the beginning of every week, and if Bethesda just stamped this on at the last minute, then Steve would have had nothing to show for the week otherwise.

I don't think Steve would have released it without permission. He made this post in the PC section under Oblivion. I doubt he screwed up but I'm sure others may not know that it was okay for him to do it.

UPDATE!

Good news, the interview has been cleared to be posted before the end of the week. Look for it pretty soon (within 24 hours), I just need to clean it up and bit and then I'll post it.

Phew, I'm sooooo tired after playing Oblivion all day today. What a tough job! ;)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 05:43:18 am »
No I didn't screw up. I didn't reveal anything in the interview that was embargoed, so it was okay to release the interview early. Pete Hines (VP if Public Relations & Marketing) approved the release of the interview today so we're all good. In fact, look for a followup interview in a few months!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 11:03:12 am »
I'm surprised you didn't run out of bandwidth on this one.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline corridon

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 02:12:15 pm »
If that Private guy thinks that the show needs to be changed ust because of his own personal interests he is dumber than I expected.

And he wants to "Call you out"?  What the hell is this, the wrestling?

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 03:49:13 pm »
Now there's a picture for you... Gaming Steve and Private.. Smackdown match.. now on iPod video  :D

I haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet but I did read the comments on the front page and Private just seems upset because Steve got to release his interview before anyone else. Sour grapes to me.

edit: Listened last night. Great interview. Sounds like an interesting game, I might have to try it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 03:49:53 am by LadyM »

Offline FoxSpirit

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 04:19:47 pm »
He sounded like he was angry at Steve longer than that and just needed that circumstance to really feel the need to let off some steam. Pffft, unsuccessful people are just so boring  ;)
Cellphone ringtones, the Chinese water-torture of our time.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 04:23:48 pm »
Dunno what Private has up his ass but I thought everything Steve said made perfect sense.

Keep up the great work!

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 02:03:12 am »
Great interview. I don't know if i will buy Oblivion, but it was certainly a good interview.

That Private person is just jealous.
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.